• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Looking for advice, Outdoor bunnies to Indoor bunnies?

l0zz2

New Kit
Hello everyone,

Just looking for some advice and a bit of guidance please on housing.

I currently have two bunnies, one male French lop who is 9 and another female lop who is 3. My male lop Reggie is really friendly, runs over to me and lets me stroke him, honey my female isn't so friendly. They currently live at my mums in a huge custom built pen, which is about 9ft by 18ft, totally fox proof as they live in the middle of fields. It is partially brick built and has a huge three story hutch in there. They love it, can run around and play whilst looking out over the garden. They are locked in the hutch at night and wildlife cameras view the sides of the hutch so I can see if we have any visitors coming to check out ways to get into their inclosure in the night.

Basically my question is.. when I lived at home this was great as I could go out twice per day look after them and do all the necessary's. I've now moved out and flown the nest, into a huge victorian ground floor apartment with wooden flooring. I really miss my rabbits and my mum and dad are getting, not fed up but a bit down having to care for them twice per day, although they haven't said this, I know them.

I would look at converting one bedroom into a bunny room, which has double doors to outside so in the summer they could still go outside in a run on the shared grass. Can you move outdoor bunnies to indoor bunnies? or is this something I should really avoid doing? I thought that maybe with Reggie getting on a little bit being inside might do him good?

I would love to have them with me, and would let them run around the apartment when I'm in, and shut them away in a custom pen when I'm not to keep them safe. Is this a bad idea? I love them so much, and if I can't do this I may look at going once per day to my mums to share the letting in and out.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks, Lauren

It sounds like a wonderful idea!

However, not all rabbits enjoy indoor living! I had one who wouldn’t walk on wooden flooring!

Your best bet would be to bring the bunnies to your new home and give it a go! If they are happy, there is nothing better than free range bunnies although you would, of course, need to bunny proof wires and keep any valuables well out of the way!

All you would need is a litter tray in a “base” for them plus plenty of hay and toys to keep them entertained!

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back