• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Red Lump Under Eyelid

Zarla

Alpha Buck
Stakki has a lot of discharge from his eye today and it's half shut with a red ulcer under the top eyelid. He is eating and is still lively. He is going to the vet's later today, but wondered if anyone had any idea what this could be?

Stakki has a lot of discharge from his eye today and it's half shut with a red ulcer under the top eyelid. He is eating and is still lively. He is going to the vet's later today, but wondered if anyone had any idea what this could be?

He could have sustained an injury from a foreign body in his eye- eg a hay stalk. Hopefully a course of abx eye drops and analgesia will clear things up. The Vet should check that no corneal abrasion has occurred. He/she will do this using some fluorescein dye. Good luck xx

I e had hay poke in a Guinea Pig and the eye was very much as you described, although it could, of course, be another cause!

Good luck at the vets! X

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sending lots of vibes for Stakki. I hope that the vet appointment goes well today and that his eye is soon lots better.

Hi Zarla

Sorry to hear about Stakki's eye, but hopefully the vet visit will resolve it.
Often a course of antibiotic eye drops (Tiacil or Isathal) will clear up the problem.

Your vet may suggest putting a dye into the eye, as this will show up any corneal abrasion. These usually heal up on their own, but will also require antibiotic eyedrops.

The discharge could be due to a blocked tear duct, which is causing inflammation in the eye. Your vet will be able to see this, and if necessary flush the tear duct out. Lots of vets do this without sedation, but some prefer to sedate first. The discharge could also have caused inflammation on the top eyelid.

Good luck today at the vet :)

Thank you for the vibes, guys!:love:

My husband took Stakki to the vets yesterday evening. The vet he saw was brand new and scared the life out of hubby by suggesting that it could be myxomatosis, despite our poor bun being vaccinated and having no high temperature, listlessness, swellings or other symptoms! She tested his cornea with the dye and said there were two tiny abrasions as well as the eyelid ulcer, then prescribed antibiotic eye drops for three times a day, plus pain relief.

She tried to look in his mouth to see if his teeth were causing the problem, but apparently he fought her too hard, and she didn't use the burrito technique. So definitely a vet who is quite new to bunnies. He has also lost half a pound since his last vet visit and now only weighs 3.7 lbs.

His eye is already responding to the antibiotics so that is a relief.

My husband took Stakki to the vets yesterday evening. The vet he saw was brand new and scared the life out of hubby by suggesting that it could be myxomatosis, despite our poor bun being vaccinated and having no high temperature, listlessness, swellings or other symptoms! She tested his cornea with the dye and said there were two tiny abrasions as well as the eyelid ulcer, then prescribed antibiotic eye drops for three times a day, plus pain relief.

She tried to look in his mouth to see if his teeth were causing the problem, but apparently he fought her too hard, and she didn't use the burrito technique. So definitely a vet who is quite new to bunnies. He has also lost half a pound since his last vet visit and now only weighs 3.7 lbs.

Oh bless him, I do hope his eye will soon be completely healed. As I said in my previous post, response to treatment is usually quite quick, especially when Isathal is prescribed, IME x

I am so glad you got this sorted - these things often look quite scary but usually respond quickly to treatment.

I hope he puts the weight back on too :)

Back