• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wood for outdoor run

smarties11

New Kit
Hi All,

We're in the process of converting our garage into a rabbit house, with outdoor run. What is the best type of wood to use outdoors? I've read mixed advice online, some saying that treated wood is a no-no with rabbits, others saying treated wood is fine as arsenic is no longer used in the treatment solution. What should I use? Nearly all pre-built outdoor hutches and runs online say they are 'treated'? Obviously I don't want to use anything that will harm the bunnies, but I need something that will last a number of years.

Thanks for any advice :D

Hi All,

We're in the process of converting our garage into a rabbit house, with outdoor run. What is the best type of wood to use outdoors? I've read mixed advice online, some saying that treated wood is a no-no with rabbits, others saying treated wood is fine as arsenic is no longer used in the treatment solution. What should I use? Nearly all pre-built outdoor hutches and runs online say they are 'treated'? Obviously I don't want to use anything that will harm the bunnies, but I need something that will last a number of years.

Thanks for any advice :D
Hi smarties11 I would try and steer clear of treated timber, as you can never guarantee that something nasty hasn't been trapped in there in the dipping process. Try and go for prepared or something that is just kiln dried and then treat it yourself with some water based paint, this way should also work out cheaper I should think, cuprinol is perfect but I believe that wilko do a really good water based garden paint as well.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Hi smarties11 I would try and steer clear of treated timber, as you can never guarantee that something nasty hasn't been trapped in there in the dipping process. Try and go for prepared or something that is just kiln dried and then treat it yourself with some water based paint, this way should also work out cheaper I should think, cuprinol is perfect but I believe that wilko do a really good water based garden paint as well.
Seconded!

Pressure treated timber will last longest outside - but it does have toxic metals in it as that is what stops it rotting. You could use pressure treated wood for the bottom edge which is in contact with the ground, and untreated for the rest of the frame if you think it will get chewed.

If you mesh inside the frame (rather than outside) with small weldmesh, rabbits won't be able to chew the wood (as much, anyway), whatever you choose. I would also second painting it before use (and before adding the mesh for best results) as it will last a lot longer and be will be easier to disinfect if needed.

Back