• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spudsey update: Now making snoring noises, retching and bringing up brown mucus :(

Beatrix Potter

Mama Doe
Hi

I posted recently as Spudsey appeared to be having perhaps an acid reflux due to perhaps her long term metacam dose. My vet gave her ranitidine which seemed to do the trick, however she started doing it again so she was prescribed it again. However in the last week she has suddenly starting sounding awful, I put snoring in the subject but if you have ever heard a hedgehog snuffling around for food, that's what she sounds like. She is also regularly making a retching sound, and last night I noticed she had some hay hanging out of her mouth which had a brown mucus on it, and I could see brown around her mouth as well.

She saw the vet last week and she recommended nebulising her for five days and if no better or sounding worse to give baytrill, my vet was going on holiday at the weekend for three weeks so gave me the baytril in case needed. I did a few nebulising sessions but she was sounding no better so I have started with the baytril.

Spudsey is nearly 12.

Has anyone got any idea what could be going on? She is eating, grooming and behaving as normal otherwise.

We have a rabbit with a partially collapsed trachea that has similar to you describe, this was found by doing an endoscopy

We have a rabbit with a partially collapsed trachea that has similar to you describe, this was found by doing an endoscopy

That was my thinking too. Is there another Vet you could consult whilst your Vet is away ? Personally I would want to try to do so.

That was my thinking too. Is there another Vet you could consult whilst your Vet is away ? Personally I would want to try to do so.

There are other vets but I've not had any experience of them. I either go back and try one or attempt the cat and rabbit clinic in Northampton for a rabbit savvy vet.

Sending lots of vibes for Spudsey and I hope your appointment goes well this evening.

Back