• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spudsey update: Now making snoring noises, retching and bringing up brown mucus :(

Thank you all so much for your Spudsey vibes! :) She saw Simon at the cat and rabbit clinic this evening and he has confirmed she definitely has snuffles. I have been through snuffles a few times now with different rabbits, such a horrible thing to have!

She's already on metacam but we're going to go for it twice daily now, she's still got her baytril and he's prescribed some bisolvon which I have not tried before on other snuffle buns. We will continue with the nebulising, this time adding the F10 as have previously tried with just saline, and finally we are looking at bringing her indoors for the rest of the cold months. Being a wildie she is extremely hardy, but Simon said if she was having a rough couple of days and the weather was cold, being warm would make all the difference.

Thank you all so much for your Spudsey vibes! :) She saw Simon at the cat and rabbit clinic this evening and he has confirmed she definitely has snuffles. I have been through snuffles a few times now with different rabbits, such a horrible thing to have!

She's already on metacam but we're going to go for it twice daily now, she's still got her baytril and he's prescribed some bisolvon which I have not tried before on other snuffle buns. We will continue with the nebulising, this time adding the F10 as have previously tried with just saline, and finally we are looking at bringing her indoors for the rest of the cold months. Being a wildie she is extremely hardy, but Simon said if she was having a rough couple of days and the weather was cold, being warm would make all the difference.

I am glad to hear that Simon was able to help. The Bisolvon is a mucolytic, it thins out all the mucus within the sinuses so it is more able to drain. Dont be surprised:love: if Spudsey starts to have a much more runny nose and eyes once the nebulising kicks in

Sending lots more vibes :love:

It sounds as though your appointment went really well. Sending lots more vibes for Spudsey.

Thank you everyone :) Now on the look out for indoor accommodation, which is going to be quite difficult as we unfortunately don't have a spare room that we can turn into a bunny room (otherwise I would have done it years ago!) so having to settle on a nice sized double hutch, with daily exercise in the kitchen.

Hi All

Spudsey is sounding much better just a little clicking noise now, although will have been on baytril for 10 days come Wednesday and the vet covering my current vet whilst she's on holiday has said that they will need to see her again before prescribing anymore baytril, so I'm going to book another appointment this week with Simon at the C&R clinic.

We moved her inside last night, although I'm not sure she's too happy about it! :( She's in a double cage (temporary) and although seemed quite interested in her surroundings and seemed to be eating and fairly relaxed, she spent the majority of her time in a cardboard box stuffed with hay. She's ventured out, but hasn't attempted to go up the ramp to the second level (no interest whatsover), and this morning had a great time wrecking the box but my o/h went home at lunch to check and he doesn't think she's eaten her breakfast :(

The idea was to keep her warm and dry so we could keep an eye on her but at the moment I feel like she's unhappy with the situation and is just hiding herself away :(

Hi All

Spudsey is sounding much better just a little clicking noise now, although will have been on baytril for 10 days come Wednesday and the vet covering my current vet whilst she's on holiday has said that they will need to see her again before prescribing anymore baytril, so I'm going to book another appointment this week with Simon at the C&R clinic.

We moved her inside last night, although I'm not sure she's too happy about it! :( She's in a double cage (temporary) and although seemed quite interested in her surroundings and seemed to be eating and fairly relaxed, she spent the majority of her time in a cardboard box stuffed with hay. She's ventured out, but hasn't attempted to go up the ramp to the second level (no interest whatsover), and this morning had a great time wrecking the box but my o/h went home at lunch to check and he doesn't think she's eaten her breakfast :(

The idea was to keep her warm and dry so we could keep an eye on her but at the moment I feel like she's unhappy with the situation and is just hiding herself away :(

I'm glad your little lamb is doing better physically. returning to the R&C clinic to see Simon sounds wise.

I think its very early days with regard to the adjustment from outside to inside. Hopefully you can coax her to eat some favourite foods - I really hope she starts eating for you xx

I’m glad spudsey is making a good physical recovery.
Sending lots of quick adjustment vibes and hoping she starts eating more for you soon.

I'm glad your little lamb is doing better physically. returning to the R&C clinic to see Simon sounds wise.

I think its very early days with regard to the adjustment from outside to inside. Hopefully you can coax her to eat some favourite foods - I really hope she starts eating for you xx

Thank you :) She was a house bunny for the first 6 months of her life as she was hand reared, but she's now nearly 12 so its been a long time! Feel sad that we've moved her out of her home.

Is she coping better being a house bun now?

Hi!
Sorry I keep forgetting to update this thread! Spudsey did not cope at all well with being a house bun again, although she appears to be fully recovered from her snuffles which is great! I came home early one afternoon when the sun was out and the temperature was in double figures, and we made a joint decision to put her back outside, making sure that she had plenty of hay and her snugglesafe just in case she was feeling the cold. She's been like a different rabbit! No sign of snuffles, much happier, even excited at times when I go out to see her! I put it down to being a "proper rabbit" which is what the vet called her, she's a pure wildie so not been messed about with!

Back