• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vaccination & Bonding

TheThreeB's

Mama Doe
Hi all,

We are on day 2 of bonding Dottie and Spud and I've remembered that Dottie has her Rhd2 tomorrow.

Could moving them now affect the bonding process? Would you go as planned or reschedule?

I had considered leaving 3 weeks from the Combi jab (tomorrow will be 2 weeks), but it will mean she's a few days over due for the Rhd2. I've been afraid of having them 2 weeks apart since Thor passed recently a couple of days after having them 2 weeks apart.

Also, I'm afraid of taking them to the vet full stop, as when Dottie had her Combi jab 2 weeks ago,her partner Ziggy passed 2 days later (he only went for company & didn't come out of the carrier.) Irrational I know!!

Thanks x

If it were me I would leave it another week. Whilst I don't think that having Thor done with only two weeks between contributed to his death, I would always leave it three weeks just to make sure that their immune system isn't overloaded. I also don't think that leaving Dottie to go a few days over the due date will matter.

There's also the other complication of the bonding and so hopefully you'd be able to take them both together as a bonded couple next week :)

I also understand your fear about taking them to the vets after what happened to Ziggy.

Hi all,

We are on day 2 of bonding Dottie and Spud and I've remembered that Dottie has her Rhd2 tomorrow.

Could moving them now affect the bonding process? Would you go as planned or reschedule?

I had considered leaving 3 weeks from the Combi jab (tomorrow will be 2 weeks), but it will mean she's a few days over due for the Rhd2. I've been afraid of having them 2 weeks apart since Thor passed recently a couple of days after having them 2 weeks apart.

Also, I'm afraid of taking them to the vet full stop, as when Dottie had her Combi jab 2 weeks ago,her partner Ziggy passed 2 days later (he only went for company & didn't come out of the carrier.) Irrational I know!!

Thanks x

I totally appreciate your worry!

Moving them now, to go to the vets for Dottie's vaccination, probably won't do any harm to the bond. I wouldn't worry if she's a few days over for the RHD2 either, so if you want to reschedule that would be fine too.

The recommendation is to leave a couple of weeks between vaccinations, but as you've considered leaving three weeks, if it were me then that's what I'd do. Leave it three weeks and then take them both in together.

You've done really well with the bonding!

Thanks MM

It's going really well, Dottie has been grooming Spud lots :D

We did decide to cancel the vaccination in the end x

Oh I'm so sorry to hear of your recent losses. :(

I hope bonding Dottie and Spud is going well...? I always play the rule of thumb of being the same month for vaccs, I'm sure being a few days late won't mean too much in the grand scheme of things. xxx

Oh I'm so sorry to hear of your recent losses. :(

I hope bonding Dottie and Spud is going well...? I always play the rule of thumb of being the same month for vaccs, I'm sure being a few days late won't mean too much in the grand scheme of things. xxx

Thank you. I hope you and your lot are well, not seen you around xx

I was thinking that too tlc. Hugs for you.

Are the happy couple on honeymoon yet ThreeB's? :love:

Well, Dotties behaving like she's on some crazy 18-30's :lol: generally being a pain in the butt and causing chaos (posted in Behaviour - she's not really suited to being indoors). I think Spud is a bit mystified tbh, he's used to the quiet life!

Off to vets shortly for the missed jab x

We're all okay here, thanks MM and TTB. :) Just moved veterinary practice to follow our old vets who moved for more exposure to exotics. It's an amazing relief knowing you can see someone you can trust after what happened to Yuki. Selene and Helios had their Nobivac/healthcheck Weds, they are okay, but showing signs of age. Selene's on weight watch now, as she's lost 20% of her weight in a year. Still a healthy weight, but don't really want her to lose any more.

Anyhow. I'm glad to hear Dottie is still the chaotic soul she's always been. :lol: Even if it does confuse poor Spud. Hope the vet appoint goes well. x

Well, Dotties behaving like she's on some crazy 18-30's :lol: generally being a pain in the butt and causing chaos (posted in Behaviour - she's not really suited to being indoors). I think Spud is a bit mystified tbh, he's used to the quiet life!

Off to vets shortly for the missed jab x

Hope all goes well :wave:

Back