• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cold weather

Siegmeyer

Young Bun
Hi all! :)

I wondered at what temperatures we would need to consider moving the rabbits indoors? It’s gotten to -5 here so far. I have a 8ft shed set up, with a 6ft hutch inside it. I am tempered to move them indoors when it gets to below -3, how resilient are they to the cold?

Also should I consider closing the tunnel off that leads to their run when it’s freezing temperatures, sometimes my rabbits come across as a bit senseless, e.g sit in the run even tho there’s a fox sat next to the run watching.

Hope everyone’s furry babies are doing well this cold winter. Thank you all.

Last edited:
Mine like sitting out in the frost at night, totally ignoring the two snugglesafes and mounts of hay and hay stuffed shelter in the shed for them! I check their water as it often freezes, when I get in from work and again about 9 when I take out the first batch of snugglesafes and again when the 11pm snugglesafes are taken out. As long as they’re a good weight and healthy and not very young or very old, I don’t worry about them being outside. They’ve got plenty of warm spaces they can snuggle into, and of course each other, should they choose to do so. Mine are in a shed too and have 24/7 access to their run.

They cope very well with cold conditions but I like my rabbits to be in their accommodation at night.

I think bringing them inside is risky if they're outdoor buns - the temperature change will be too much. My bunnies have slept in just in a hutch, with no shed for the past year. So a bit exposed to the wind and such. But they've been 100% fine - we've never had any problems with them feeling too cold. They moved into their new shed today because we'd like them to be cosier, so if you have a shed then I'm sure they'll be totally okay.

When we put ours away earlier, it was hard work getting Plumpkin out of the run/in the snow - she didn't seem bothered by the cold at all :D

Mine were sleeping on the windowsill (separately) in the balmy -1 the other day, and Aboleth was sleeping in the playhouse on the stool above the snugglesafe yesterday, rather than directly on it, when it was -3. I've seen them sleep outside in below-0 temperatures. It's up to them what they do as outside buns: mine have many different areas to go to, warm and cool, and mine are pretty good at choosing what is right for them at what time. If you put lots of warm things and places in, they can choose to use them: mine were snuggled up in the hutch together when it was -5, but soon explored outside when I was out and about, then went into the playhouse. I use the ear check: their ears are cool to the touch but the bases (and their heads) are toasty, and it's rare their ears are actually cold, that usually only happens to Lopsy when he's got water on the tips of his ears and it's frozen :lol: (only happened once that I know of!)

Mine are usually outside but with this extreme cold snap, I put them in an unheated basement room. I've done this in years' past and as long as they are not in too long, they seem to be fine going back out.

I bought two small animal warming pads (25 watts); one is under their water to keep it from freezing and one is in the sleeping cabin. They would probably be fine staying out all the time. But interestingly, I let them roam around the laundy room while I was cleaning their area. Leroy lodged himself behind the dryer (which was running at the time) and stayed there until the dryer turned off. And if I cuddle him in the evening, he settles right in and sleeps. My take away - they love a little added warmth.

Wow pet bunnies are a lot more resilient and adapted to the cold than I thought. Thank you everyone! I feel less worried about them now and I can comfortable sleep at night knowing they’ll be fine.

I think I’ll get some heat pads in case it gets any colder though. They just looks so small and fragile, but I now realise they are tough as nails. Thank you guys!

Back