• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Acrylic paint and bunnies

Graciee

Staff member
So Idk if they even give off fumes tbh...

But do you think it's safe to paint in the same room as bunnies or hammies?

Sorry if this is a mad question [emoji38] just I'm running out of bunny free spaces to paint.. [emoji38]

I personally wouldn’t paint with any paint in the same room as pets, but I’m paranoid :lol: hopefully someone can advise.

Do you mean as in painting pictures rather than walls? Most acrylic artist paint is very low odour. I’d happily paint for an hour or so with buns about and then give it a few hours for the air to refresh before doing it again.

Do you mean as in painting pictures rather than walls? Most acrylic artist paint is very low odour. I’d happily paint for an hour or so with buns about and then give it a few hours for the air to refresh before doing it again.
Oh yea sorry not walls [emoji38]

Yea I never really smell them too much, but there's probably something toxic for them to breath in in guessing...?

Last night I was spraying like a plastic coating on something which has a really strong solvent smell, outside in the dark because again I assume that'd be bad for buns [emoji38]

Art and animals just don't mix [emoji38]

Yeah, I wouldn’t use a spray indoors. Painting with acrylics I would do indoors and have done with buns in the past. I do a lot of crafting and as long as it’s in a large room and I air it regularly I don’t see there being a problem, other than bits of fur in your paint! My bridge bun Smudge, was a house bun originally and I used to paint around her. When I moved in with my parents she had free range of the garden and had the summer house as her base. She was never happier than being involved in what was happening. So much so that she got cream masonry paint on herself when she checked out the wall that had just been painted. She also got marine varnish on her back when she decided to relax under Dad’s workbench!

Just thought too, most acrylic paints are non-toxic cos they know we’re going to mix up our paint water pot with our brew at some point and that kids will put their painty fingers in their mouths.

Yeah, I wouldn’t use a spray indoors. Painting with acrylics I would do indoors and have done with buns in the past. I do a lot of crafting and as long as it’s in a large room and I air it regularly I don’t see there being a problem, other than bits of fur in your paint! My bridge bun Smudge, was a house bun originally and I used to paint around her. When I moved in with my parents she had free range of the garden and had the summer house as her base. She was never happier than being involved in what was happening. So much so that she got cream masonry paint on herself when she checked out the wall that had just been painted. She also got marine varnish on her back when she decided to relax under Dad’s workbench!
Just thought too, most acrylic paints are non-toxic cos they know we’re going to mix up our paint water pot with our brew at some point and that kids will put their painty fingers in their mouths.
Ah thanks :) made me feel a bit better :D it's just getting ridiculous, I think I need a workshop or something [emoji38] resin is going to be toxic isn't it? [emoji38]

Oo can I get your opinion on oils too? That'd be my preferred paint, but with time to dry, bunny fur then also fumes I thought that'd be out [emoji38]

On the toxicity of acrylics front, most artists' acrylics are fine, but some of the modellers' paints are baaaad: the Tamiya acrylica are really solvent-y. Can't speak for oils, won't use them, but I've used enamel paints in the past and would use them in the same 'free range' house as the buns but not in the same room if they were confined, and I'd try and barrier them out from the room I was using them ::makes note to do enamel painting not in buns' room::

On the toxicity of acrylics front, most artists' acrylics are fine, but some of the modellers' paints are baaaad: the Tamiya acrylica are really solvent-y. Can't speak for oils, won't use them, but I've used enamel paints in the past and would use them in the same 'free range' house as the buns but not in the same room if they were confined, and I'd try and barrier them out from the room I was using them ::makes note to do enamel painting not in buns' room::
Yea so it's either one living room with a pair of buns, or another living room with a different pair of buns, or my bedroom with two hammies [emoji38] the kitchen and bathroom or other people's bedrooms are the only rooms left, bedrooms are out... So is bathroom, and kitchen has no door and is part of one of the living rooms effectively..

So in this case, would you not use acrylics in the bun spaces? As they can't escape? I mean it's a huge room, with the kitchen attached but still they can't leave the area...

Back