• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New bond after death

Morning all, after a bit of advice. We sadly lost one of our buns recently. We decided quite quickly to get another because our neutered male is only 18 months and we didn’t think it fair for him to be alone, he had spent just over a year bonded to our female. We’ve rescued a 4 month old little lady who has been hand reared, she is super chilled out. I bonded both our buns previously but I wondered how to approach it this time as this is our males home. Do we wait until our new little lady has been neutered or just go for it? They are currently caged next to each other and showing lots of interest with plenty of sniffing and watching each other. Thanks for any advice.

I bonded a just over 3 months old doe with my existing buck a year ago. I started the bonding almost straight after I brought her home. It went very well with no real problems at all. I think if you used somewhere neutral to bond then that's what I would do. Then when my doe got hormonal, at about 5 months, I quickly arranged for her spay, they were not separated at all and their bond was unaffected.

I hope all goes well for your two however you decide to do it :)

Morning all, after a bit of advice. We sadly lost one of our buns recently. We decided quite quickly to get another because our neutered male is only 18 months and we didn’t think it fair for him to be alone, he had spent just over a year bonded to our female. We’ve rescued a 4 month old little lady who has been hand reared, she is super chilled out. I bonded both our buns previously but I wondered how to approach it this time as this is our males home. Do we wait until our new little lady has been neutered or just go for it? They are currently caged next to each other and showing lots of interest with plenty of sniffing and watching each other. Thanks for any advice.

I am sorry to hear you lost one of your buns. :(

You could do either - wait until she is spayed (probably about 6/8 weeks including recovery time) or bond now and then get her spayed. People have done both with success. You may find he will exhibit mounting behaviour, and she may become increasingly hormonal and hump him as time goes by if they are bonded now, and it depends if you can weather that and see it through.

Thank you for your help. I’m so undecided what to do, he’s bored on his own but I don’t want to have to rebond if they start fighting when she becomes hormonal and she is so tiny at the moment. He was top bun in his previous relationship, and he thinks he’s boss of his humans too (he is boss of us really). They’re both so intrigued by each other and I’m just not sure what to do for the best at the minute.

Thank you for your help. I’m so undecided what to do, he’s bored on his own but I don’t want to have to rebond if they start fighting when she becomes hormonal and she is so tiny at the moment. He was top bun in his previous relationship, and he thinks he’s boss of his humans too (he is boss of us really). They’re both so intrigued by each other and I’m just not sure what to do for the best at the minute.

You're welcome :)

I've done dozens of bonds for rescue rabbits and never had a failure. But it could be because I am cautious. So what I would do is wait and get her spayed and then introduce on neutral ground.

However, others would and have done differently, and also with success, so asking here will gather you loads of viewpoints :)

Thank you, that’s what I’m after because we are completely torn as to what to do for the best. We’ve been swaying towards getting pixie neutered first but I can see how bored Drogon is without his best buddy and he knows there’s another one in the house, we lost his friend so suddenly as well.

As your boy is neutered I would try them together in a neutral space now. It will only fail if your male is nasty with her as she is too young to be feisty. If you choose to wait until she is older, by then she will be becoming territorial and it might be more difficult to bond them. You can have her spayed when she is around 6 months old or some Vets will do it sooner.

Thank you, that’s what I’m after because we are completely torn as to what to do for the best. We’ve been swaying towards getting pixie neutered first but I can see how bored Drogon is without his best buddy and he knows there’s another one in the house, we lost his friend so suddenly as well.

Welcome.
Good luck whatever you decide to do :)

Back