• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Teddy has stasis

Thanks all [emoji847] lots of messages that I'll need to pass on to him!

The vet rang earlier and he's improving, he's eaten and is moving about but no poos yet so they want to continue monitoring him. I might be able to pick him up later but they'll call me again later and let me know. He'll be pleased to hear all the well wishes!

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

Big sigh of relief from here :D

More vibes and hugs and good wishes x

So pleased that Teddy is responding at the vets. Fingers crossed that there are some poos soon. C'mon teddy - Lillian and Henry send all their love for you and loads of vibes from me too. Get well soon Teddy. xx

I've just bought him home, he does seem much happier now. I have to monitor him and see how he goes.

They did see more spurs on his teeth so I've booked him in for a dental next week. Weirdly dental issues have never stopped him eating before so I don't know if that's what it is this time or if it's something else.

On a different note, it's becoming difficult to pay for his dentals, this is his third one now and the last one was only a month ago. I'm a bit worried as I can't afford £250 a month on dental surgery if that's how frequently he needs it. I want what's best for him without a doubt but I don't know what the answer is if this is the future [emoji53] hopefully this time he won't need another one so soon. I also worry that having repeated anaesthetics is going to take its toll on him somewhere down the line and whether it's fair on him, but I'll see how he is after this op.

Last edited:
I've just bought him home, he does seem much happier now. I have to monitor him and see how he goes.

They did see more spurs on his teeth so I've booked him in for a dental next week. Weirdly dental issues have never stopped him eating before so I don't know if that's what it is this time or if it's something else.

On a different note, it's becoming difficult to pay for his dentals, this is his third one now and the last one was only a month ago. I'm a bit worried as I can't afford £250 a month on dental surgery if that's how frequently he needs it. I want what's best for him without a doubt but I don't know what the answer is if this is the future [emoji53] hopefully this time he won't need another one so soon. I also worry that having repeated anaesthetics is going to take its toll on him somewhere down the line and whether it's fair on him, but I'll see how he is after this op.

I am glad he's much happier now he's home. And I expect you are too :)

Regarding the dentals - that's very expensive for a dental. I used to use a vet who did dentals under anaesthetic, and she didn't charge anything like that, although fluids were always charged as 'extra'.

Yes repeated anaesthetics can and do take their toll on a rabbit's immune system which is why I have sought out vets that do 'conscious dentals'. You will find all sorts of stuff written about conscious dentals, from various sources here on the Forum, but the fact is that they can and do work very well with an expert vet. They also cost merely the price of a normal consultation.

I hope he will do well after the next procedure x

I am glad he's much happier now he's home. And I expect you are too :)

Regarding the dentals - that's very expensive for a dental. I used to use a vet who did dentals under anaesthetic, and she didn't charge anything like that, although fluids were always charged as 'extra'.

Yes repeated anaesthetics can and do take their toll on a rabbit's immune system which is why I have sought out vets that do 'conscious dentals'. You will find all sorts of stuff written about conscious dentals, from various sources here on the Forum, but the fact is that they can and do work very well with an expert vet. They also cost merely the price of a normal consultation.

I hope he will do well after the next procedure x
When I spoke to my vet a while ago she said she could do it while he was awake, however I found out today that she's now on leave until the start of Feb! I like the practice and they know him, so I think I'm just going to have to suck it up financially this time and speak to my normal vet afterwards about what we can do moving forwards. But I will mention it when I take him in next week just in case they can do it.

When I spoke to my vet a while ago she said she could do it while he was awake, however I found out today that she's now on leave until the start of Feb! I like the practice and they know him, so I think I'm just going to have to suck it up financially this time and speak to my normal vet afterwards about what we can do moving forwards. But I will mention it when I take him in next week just in case they can do it.

That's very interesting that she told you she could do it whilst he was awake :)

It would be good to have that option up your sleeve. I had one rabbit who was unable to have an anaesthetic. She even needed oxygen whilst being examined by a vet as her lips and tongue would go blue. They never dared do a dental under anaesthesia and that's where I first found out about doing it 'consciously'.

Would be a great help in recovery time for the rabbit, and financially for you!

I'll see how confident they are giving it a go, it's a bit tricky with his wonky head so I understand if the vet that does the procedure isn't happy to do it this time, but there's no harm asking.

I’m glad that he is home and feeling better, topping up the vibes for him. I hope his dental goes smoothly and he makes a quick recovery:thumb:

Thanks everyone, to be honest you wouldn't know there was anything wrong with him today, he was up and waiting for breakfast when I got up this morning and hasn't stopped running about the house since! I'm just glad he seems to have recovered but will keep monitoring him, hopefully no more drama until the day of the dental.

Teddy says thanks to all his online friends for worrying about him xx

Thanks everyone, to be honest you wouldn't know there was anything wrong with him today, he was up and waiting for breakfast when I got up this morning and hasn't stopped running about the house since! I'm just glad he seems to have recovered but will keep monitoring him, hopefully no more drama until the day of the dental.

It's thanks to your prompt action getting him seen by a Vet quickly that no doubt helped enormously. I am really pleased to hear that he's back on top form today and I hope that all will go well for his Dental.

It's thanks to your prompt action getting him seen by a Vet quickly that no doubt helped enormously. I am really pleased to hear that he's back on top form today and I hope that all will go well for his Dental.
Thank you! He's finally settled down for a rest now [emoji23]

Thanks, I've told him to stop using up all his lives, he must think he's a cat!

Teddy says thanks to all his online friends for worrying about him xx

I am so glad!

You did the right thing at the right time and it worked out well for Teddy x

Back