• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rebonding post spay

New bunnies

Young Bun
Hi everyone :wave:
Our little girl Luna was spayed last week after a minor fall out with our buck, Ginger, (she was humping him & he was chasing her & puling fur, no serious fights). Just taken Luna for her 9 day check at the vets and they’ve said she’s healing nicely and we could try to put them back together. Ginger is already neutered.

They have been in puppy pen and grid pen right next to each other all the time but haven’t really been trying to lie together or anything. Occasional sniff through the pens. But they’re in smaller pens than usual for practical reasons & obviously Luna has been restricted up until now so both look a bit miserable without each other to lie on :(.

Shall I try and put them somewhere together, ie bathroom or back in old cage? I think bonding is supposed to be in a restricted area..?? The breeder suggested going for a bumpy car ride with them both in the carrier but I was a bit worried about that?

i’ve posted on here last week and had some really useful advice and i’ve tried looking around for advice on our situation rather than bonding two new bunnies or when need to keep separated for longer but there doesn’t seem to be much. Or maybe i’m missing it? Thanks for any advice!

No I wouldn't go for a bumpy car ride but put them together in a neutral space, they should be ok. It's usually the females that get territorial so steer away from anywhere that she might think is hers. If you are free tomorrow I would start early and monitor them throughout the day - hopefully they will get along with each other once again.

No I wouldn't go for a bumpy car ride but put them together in a neutral space, they should be ok. It's usually the females that get territorial so steer away from anywhere that she might think is hers. If you are free tomorrow I would start early and monitor them throughout the day - hopefully they will get along with each other once again.

I agree with all of tonibun's advice. Hopefully, they will be fine :)

Hi everyone :wave:
Our little girl Luna was spayed last week after a minor fall out with our buck, Ginger, (she was humping him & he was chasing her & puling fur, no serious fights). Just taken Luna for her 9 day check at the vets and they’ve said she’s healing nicely and we could try to put them back together. Ginger is already neutered.

They have been in puppy pen and grid pen right next to each other all the time but haven’t really been trying to lie together or anything. Occasional sniff through the pens. But they’re in smaller pens than usual for practical reasons & obviously Luna has been restricted up until now so both look a bit miserable without each other to lie on :(.

Shall I try and put them somewhere together, ie bathroom or back in old cage? I think bonding is supposed to be in a restricted area..?? The breeder suggested going for a bumpy car ride with them both in the carrier but I was a bit worried about that?

i’ve posted on here last week and had some really useful advice and i’ve tried looking around for advice on our situation rather than bonding two new bunnies or when need to keep separated for longer but there doesn’t seem to be much. Or maybe i’m missing it? Thanks for any advice!

Some people swear by the car ride thing, but personally I don't like it.

The bathroom (neutral) sounds like a good idea. I don't go that small, so it would suit me - or a kitchen.
Also, in a cage I am guessing you wouldn't be able to get to them quickly if any hanky panky went on?

Thanks for the advice everyone!! Sadly free days are in short supply with two young children & work but I am trying today. They’ve been in the kitchen for 90 mins plus now. Ginger has tried humping Luna three or four times & she puts up with it for a bit and then runs away. She thumped at him the first time but just runs now.

He has been grooming lots and she flattens on the ground & lets him but doesn’t look particularly happy. It’s not a flop like she used to when he groomed her.

When would I know it’s safe to leave them? We have to go out this pm but i’m scared to leave them together but also don’t want to start again from the beginning...

Thanks for the advice everyone!! Sadly free days are in short supply with two young children & work but I am trying today. They’ve been in the kitchen for 90 mins plus now. Ginger has tried humping Luna three or four times & she puts up with it for a bit and then runs away. She thumped at him the first time but just runs now.

He has been grooming lots and she flattens on the ground & lets him but doesn’t look particularly happy. It’s not a flop like she used to when he groomed her.

When would I know it’s safe to leave them? We have to go out this pm but i’m scared to leave them together but also don’t want to start again from the beginning...

It's your call really.

I err on the cautious side, and although I have never had a male/female bonding to fail (I have done dozens for rescue rabbits) I still wouldn't leave them along for the first 8 to 10 hours.

I think sometimes you have to trust your gut, as not all rabbits are the same :)

They sound to be getting along quite well and any 2 rabbits can fallout, but it isn't the norm. As you are on the scene you are the best person to judge.

It's your call really.

I err on the cautious side, and although I have never had a male/female bonding to fail (I have done dozens for rescue rabbits) I still wouldn't leave them along for the first 8 to 10 hours.

I think sometimes you have to trust your gut, as not all rabbits are the same :)

Thanks Mighty Max, they seem very chilled out, have been sitting near each other, shared hay and mutual grooming. My (very rabbit inexperienced) gut tells me they will be fine but I don’t want to risk it. Would they start back at the beginning again if I pop them back in their adjoining pens for an hour or two?

Thanks Mighty Max, they seem very chilled out, have been sitting near each other, shared hay and mutual grooming. My (very rabbit inexperienced) gut tells me they will be fine but I don’t want to risk it. Would they start back at the beginning again if I pop them back in their adjoining pens for an hour or two?

You're welcome :)

Well rabbits seem to have a period of 'sorting it out' and if you interrupt that, the process will take longer.

If you really don't want to risk it, you've no choice but to separate.
Can no-one cover for you for a short while and you be on the end of a phone?

You're welcome :)

Well rabbits seem to have a period of 'sorting it out' and if you interrupt that, the process will take longer.

If you really don't want to risk it, you've no choice but to separate.
Can no-one cover for you for a short while and you be on the end of a phone?
Sadly no-one today , now thinking might risk leaving them in the kitchen as they seem fine...I just don’t know what to do!!

They sound to be getting along quite well and any 2 rabbits can fallout, but it isn't the norm. As you are on the scene you are the best person to judge.
Sorry Tonibun I missed your reply. They do seem to be getting on well. No humping at all since I posted about the mutual grooming. The breeder did say they got on very easily initially (although that’s probably irrelevant) & it’s been two weeks since their fall out...

Thank for your advice and support everyone, Luna and Ginger seem to be happy back together again, fingers crossed. He’s very happy flopping around and grooming her loads but she still seems a bit on edge and runs away from him at times.

Thank for your advice and support everyone, Luna and Ginger seem to be happy back together again, fingers crossed. He’s very happy flopping around and grooming her loads but she still seems a bit on edge and runs away from him at times.

Hey, great news :D

Long may they continue to be happy together with each other x

Back