• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Behavioural changes with new rabbit!

slob1231

Warren Scout
So, Coco has been neutered! Just over two weeks ago! We got a new rabbit (doe) her names Skye but as she's only a baby and obviously the bonding process is a long one they are seperated. We don't leave any of them out they always have the same amount of love, cuddles and attention. When Skye is in her own cage (she's a baby and loves her sleep [emoji23]) we let Coco over to her cage and have a sniff, they lick each others heads and Coco just lays by her side. My problem is, we've had her since Sunday and just last night Coco has started urinating right by her cage which is unusual for him as hes trained. Will this pass?

Sent from my Nokia 7 plus using Tapatalk

It might be better if you tried bonding them now?
Coco is 7/8 months old and he's a big boy she's tiny so I'm a tad bit worried he might hurt her considering he's only got neutered a few weeks ago?

I think, imho, I’d leave them for bonding until she is neutered also, plus he needs another 4-6 weeks for hormones to calm down, and for any sperm to die out. the problem is that when she gets hormonal their bond might break.

your worry of size isn’t a worry you should worry about [emoji38] people have bonded flemish giants and tiny nethies.. it’s a case of temperament more than anything else.

the peeing next to her cage is territorial because you’ve brought a rabbit into his territory. he’s marking to claim it as his. it might calm down when his hormones have fully depleted, but it may not. Luna used to pee in orion’s pen for territory reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think, imho, I’d leave them for bonding until she is neutered also, plus he needs another 4-6 weeks for hormones to calm down, and for any sperm to die out. the problem is that when she gets hormonal their bond might break.

your worry of size isn’t a worry you should worry about [emoji38] people have bonded flemish giants and tiny nethies.. it’s a case of temperament more than anything else.

the peeing next to her cage is territorial because you’ve brought a rabbit into his territory. he’s marking to claim it as his. it might calm down when his hormones have fully depleted, but it may not. Luna used to pee in orion’s pen for territory reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am in no way going to bond them before Coco's hormones die down. That's what i mean like because of his hormones as well as his size I don't want to start bonding them until he's calmed down because otherwise he will frighten her and possibly hurt her. At the moment all I'm letting them do is make them aware of eachother and bond through cages, so when we do actually come to bonding them they know who they are.

I thought it may be territorial to be honest, I'm hoping it stops! But only time will tell!

Back