• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay advice & hayrack

willowflower27

Mama Doe
I need a hay rack that she can't get caught in I tried a wooden teepee type one and she destroyed it in a day plus Priscilla goes off hay after a few days she eats some and then abandons it her teeth are fine I'm just not finding "the" one does anyone have any suggestions for the world's fussiest bun I've tried nature's own, dust free hay all the Hays on zooplus, it's a challenge to get her to eat hay if I sit with her and literally hand feed her [emoji849][emoji849] she will munch on it but that's obviously not great in the long-term

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Have you tried sweet green hay or 5 a day hay from natures own? My 2 love them. And they love Timothy hay from Timothy hay.co.uk, they will send out free samples :thumb: Have you tried any from the hay experts? You can buy a sample pack that was very good for finding hay that Frosty liked.

I do feed hay from both racks and bowls too.

Doh hay experts why didn't I think of them I'm so out of practice at this I'm away to have a look just now, I've tried all the nature's own Hays and honestly she just refused after I opened the second bag of each but at least my local rescue benefited [emoji106]

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

I've had this issue with Teddy, Lilac will eat anything going luckily so none of it got wasted. I agree with trying the hay expert sample pack, after a bit of trial and error we found one that was acceptable! They are frustrating little monkeys aren't they!

Yeah Archie and Pip are very fussy with their hay. They only like long strands that's quite crunchy! We have tried lots, but their favourite at the moment is Ings hay from hay and straw. Also we give them less pellets so if they are hungry they only gave hay to munch on... Hahaha

Hayrack suggestions: something hanging? A hanging basket? I found the holes on the hemisphere-type baskets are just right for most hay, although my bunnies pull it down and eat through the other side! I hang mine up on its side, 'flat' side facing the wall, with that side covered 2/3 in chicken wire so the hay holds in. There's a (poor) picture here: Lopsy pulled it off the wall and then it rolled around in the way of the entrance and he wasn't smart enough at the time to pull it away :lol: It was also back when they had the pink litter tray in the hutch.

Ccm5GiGW8AACkKs.jpg

(https://twitter.com/keletkezes/status/705298339781353472)

I originally had this hanging up in the run, but I don't think I have any pics of that. I still have the chains so could use it like that again if I wanted. Lopsy tried to climb into it once (he did the same with the one below) but gave up when it became obvious even his level of foolishness would not be successful.

Anyway, i thought of the smaller hanging basket because they're easier to get hold of and if Priscilla is fussy it's not too much to swap out. Mine have a big hanging hayrack and a window box hayrack in their playhouse, but I expect these are too big. The windowbox style is also great for intrepid clambering bunnies (looking at you, Aboleth) to get their feet caught in if they're not careful :roll: Picture shows hanging hayrack when mostly empty.

10365878_10101835062094648_2331837459790755283_n.jpg

Of course, I dunno how good at reaching Priscilla is! If she can't reach far or for long, the small one attached to the side of something would be best, as mine lean on that (and make a horrific banging sound :roll:). I atach it just using a screw-in hook, and the basket just loops over it. You just have to make sure the hook is big enough to take the wire of the basket!

I use a magazine rack for my rabbits and for the guinea pigs. They hold a good amount and are easy for them to reach.

Hay rack and underbed storage boxes for the indoor rabbits

2lawlde.jpg

similar for the outdoor rabbits

2vjd1q8.jpg

and for the guinea pigs

35kkgax.jpg

Back