• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Any ideas?

TD86

Alpha Buck
Mr Diggle (5 years old approx, outdoor, neutuered) seems to be losing the use of his back legs, they're forward when sitting like he's in pain, he drags them more than hopping and will not go down the ramp in his hutch. Appetite is fine and output is lovely and golden like it should be but he does seem to be struggling to clean himself down below. We went to our local vets two weeks ago who gave us some Metacam but referred us to Trinity in Maidstone if he didn't get better in a few days or so. We went to Trinity on Monday and he had some bloods taken but they came back normal with the exception of a higher than usual white blood count but not massively high. We got the results on Thursday by which time it had struck me that it could be EC so I picked that up on Thursday regardless and he's currently on his third day of Panacur treatment but obviously isn't showing much if any improvement yet.

The next step would be an x-ray but I don't want to unnecessarily put him through more stress as I'm pretty sure he hasn't injured it (obviously I will if no improvement from the panacur). The vet at Trinity has said he's a more complex case than she thought he would be but we agreed that we can't rule out EC as of yet.

Does anyone have experience of anything similar or any ideas what it could be?

Thanks in advance :wave:

Could he be having neurological issues? Arthritis in his spine or legs (Medicam should give some relief)?

Mr Diggle (5 years old approx, outdoor, neutuered) seems to be losing the use of his back legs, they're forward when sitting like he's in pain, he drags them more than hopping and will not go down the ramp in his hutch. Appetite is fine and output is lovely and golden like it should be but he does seem to be struggling to clean himself down below. We went to our local vets two weeks ago who gave us some Metacam but referred us to Trinity in Maidstone if he didn't get better in a few days or so. We went to Trinity on Monday and he had some bloods taken but they came back normal with the exception of a higher than usual white blood count but not massively high. We got the results on Thursday by which time it had struck me that it could be EC so I picked that up on Thursday regardless and he's currently on his third day of Panacur treatment but obviously isn't showing much if any improvement yet.

The next step would be an x-ray but I don't want to unnecessarily put him through more stress as I'm pretty sure he hasn't injured it (obviously I will if no improvement from the panacur). The vet at Trinity has said he's a more complex case than she thought he would be but we agreed that we can't rule out EC as of yet.

Does anyone have experience of anything similar or any ideas what it could be?

Thanks in advance :wave:

Hello again :) I am sorry to hear of Mr Diggle's hind leg problems. As you are with Trinity Vets you can at least be confident that he is in the care of Rabbit Savvy Vets. For your next consultation I'd suggest trying to see Mark Rowland, he has literally saved the lives of a few of my Rabbits over the years.

These links may give you some useful information :

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Neurology/Differentials/paresis.htm

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/PhysicalTraumatic/Spinal_InjuryLagomorphs.htm

http://www.disabledrabbits.com/paralysis.html

http://veterinarycalendar.dvm360.co...es-rabbits-proceedings?id=&sk=&date=&pageID=2

Back