• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Hamilton Gut Stasis

I hope that Hamilton has continued to improve overnight. Personally I'd take the cardboard box away from him if he's nibbling it as it's best that he does not ingest cardboard whilst his GI tract motility is already compromised.

Sending more vibes for him and I hope that you are feeling a bit better today too :)

I agree with JJ about the cardboard box, I’m afraid Frosty and Fern can’t have cardboard things as Frosty eats it and it causes a gut slowdown in him I’ve noticed.

Topping up the vibes for you both xx

Glad to see there has been some improvement in Hamilton and I hope it continues. I also hope that you start to feel a lot better soon. If he is not 100% I would contact the vet this morning for some more meds (if you don't have any to continue with).

Thank you so much for the vibes everyone. We put Ham and co. back outside at 1.00am last night, because Hamilton suddenly got really really hyper and was chasing Beatrice and Plumpkin around the room. They were very noisy and disruptive so they went back outside.

First thing this morning Hamilton was completely fine. He was eating hay, came running up to me and had his greens for breakfast. Then today, at about the same time as yesterday, he went to lie down in the hutch in that awkward position. Once again he has not eaten his pellets today.

He's has his gut meds and metacam, so we're going to give it some time. I'm not sure what has caused this but his diet hasn't changed at all. Are there any foods which can trigger stasis buns?

I'm still ill in bed myself, so all a bit overwhelming I'm afraid :(

Is it just pellets he won't eat? Did the vet last night check his teeth? It's so difficult when you don't feel well yourself :(

Thank you so much for the vibes everyone. We put Ham and co. back outside at 1.00am last night, because Hamilton suddenly got really really hyper and was chasing Beatrice and Plumpkin around the room. They were very noisy and disruptive so they went back outside.

First thing this morning Hamilton was completely fine. He was eating hay, came running up to me and had his greens for breakfast. Then today, at about the same time as yesterday, he went to lie down in the hutch in that awkward position. Once again he has not eaten his pellets today.

He's has his gut meds and metacam, so we're going to give it some time. I'm not sure what has caused this but his diet hasn't changed at all. Are there any foods which can trigger stasis buns?

I'm still ill in bed myself, so all a bit overwhelming I'm afraid :(

Is he still eating his green food and hay or has he gone off that too?

Certainly some foods can disagree with some buns, but if he's been perfectly fine on that batch of pellets up until now, that may not be the issue.

What's his temperature like - does he feel cold? Is he still not moving around much?

Is it just pellets he won't eat? Did the vet last night check his teeth? It's so difficult when you don't feel well yourself :(

He won't eat anything at all, but he was 100% fine this morning. The last time he had a stasis-type episode was September and he has a dental after that, so maybe we shouldn't rule it out.

MM, nothing has changed in his diet, greens and pellets the same as usual as is the hay. He's been laying in the same spot in the greenhouse run for the past couple of hours :(

I've already spent £200 on rabbit vet bills this month. Am I the only one who has really expensive rabbits? It's so very stressful.

He won't eat anything at all, but he was 100% fine this morning. The last time he had a stasis-type episode was September and he has a dental after that, so maybe we shouldn't rule it out.

MM, nothing has changed in his diet, greens and pellets the same as usual as is the hay. He's been laying in the same spot in the greenhouse run for the past couple of hours :(

I've already spent £200 on rabbit vet bills this month. Am I the only one who has really expensive rabbits? It's so very stressful.

It sounds as though his teeth might be worth checking. If I were you I would try him with one of your special Plumpkin smoothies ;)

It sounds as though his teeth might be worth checking. If I were you I would try him with one of your special Plumpkin smoothies ;)

Omi, that's a good idea! I'm going to try that now. Maybe he might need another dental :(

As you suggest it might be worth checking the teeth again, but if he was normal this morning then that's rather unusual.

Carry on with the gut meds and also the syringe feeding but I would keep a close eye as he might need fluids at the vet.

Has he had any output do you know?

As you suggest it might be worth checking the teeth again, but if he was normal this morning then that's rather unusual.

Carry on with the gut meds and also the syringe feeding but I would keep a close eye as he might need fluids at the vet.

Has he had any output do you know?

He was completely back to normal this morning/last night. He was bouncing around this morning, ate his whole bowl of greens and was eating lots of hay too. It was only around 3.00-4.00pm that he started to lay down looking unusual.

He's had meds but I haven't tried syringe feeding him yet. I gave him the 'Plumpkin Special' smoothie but he has refused to touch it. As he was eating fine this morning, do you think I should try syringe feeding him? Can only assume that he's been pooping because he ate a lot of greens and hay this morning.

He was completely back to normal this morning/last night. He was bouncing around this morning, ate his whole bowl of greens and was eating lots of hay too. It was only around 3.00-4.00pm that he started to lay down looking unusual.

He's had meds but I haven't tried syringe feeding him yet. I gave him the 'Plumpkin Special' smoothie but he has refused to touch it. As he was eating fine this morning, do you think I should try syringe feeding him? Can only assume that he's been pooping because he ate a lot of greens and hay this morning.

Does he always nibble cardboard or was the episode unusual ? I ask as craving the 'wrong' sort of fibre eg Cardboard, anorexia, bouts of gut stasis can all be signs of an impacted cecum. This condition is insidious in onset and at first can present in a similar way to Dental problems.

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/Caecal_Impaction.htm

If the vet you saw agreed you should syringe feed then yes definitely. Do you have any baby food to mix it with? I ask because fluids are very important at this stage so you might also want to syringe water or make the food quite liquid.

Have you any Infacol and have you used it before?

If the vet you saw agreed you should syringe feed then yes definitely. Do you have any baby food to mix it with? I ask because fluids are very important at this stage so you might also want to syringe water or make the food quite liquid.

Have you any Infacol and have you used it before?

I don't have Infacol but could see if I could get some tonight. How do you use it for rabbits?

JJ, they don't usually have access to cardboard so I can't be sure on that. I put some hay in a carboard box to try and keep the room tidy. He didn't eat it I don't think, just nibbled it for a few seconds before zooming around. He is a nibbler so it seemed like usual behaviour, but I'm going to look at that link you sent me.

I don't have Infacol but could see if I could get some tonight. How do you use it for rabbits?

JJ, they don't usually have access to cardboard so I can't be sure on that. I put some hay in a carboard box to try and keep the room tidy. He didn't eat it I don't think, just nibbled it for a few seconds before zooming around. He is a nibbler so it seemed like usual behaviour, but I'm going to look at that link you sent me.

You can give one ml of Infacol every hour for three doses. You can also give gentle tummy rubs, but only gently and not so as to cause stress. It doesn't interfere with any other meds as it's not absorbed into the bloodstream. It's to help babies pass wind, and it helps rabbits pass painful gas. It's possible that Ham has a gas build up (whatever other issue there might be) and it's always good to get rid of that.

You can carry on giving it tomorrow if needs be, three doses per day for as long as you need.

You can give one ml of Infacol every hour for three doses. You can also give gentle tummy rubs, but only gently and not so as to cause stress. It doesn't interfere with any other meds as it's not absorbed into the bloodstream. It's to help babies pass wind, and it helps rabbits pass painful gas. It's possible that Ham has a gas build up (whatever other issue there might be) and it's always good to get rid of that.

You can carry on giving it tomorrow if needs be, three doses per day for as long as you need.

Brilliant info, thanks so much MM. I'm assuming I can get it at the local supermarket, here's hoping.

You're welcome :)

Yes you can usually get it in supermarkets, in the baby section.

I was about to go out but checked on him first - he's eaten some of the smoothie, a big pile of greens and now eating pellets like nothing is wrong. Maybe the small amount I syringe fed him helped? Who knows!

Back