• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Hamilton Gut Stasis

Beapig

Mama Doe
Hi everyone,

I've been ill in bed this week so OH has been looking after the buns.

He said Hamilton was fine having his breakfast this morning but this evening he refused to eat his pellets and was lying down like he was bloated. I administered a small amount of critical care but he still wasn't eating so we've bought them all in for the night.

Should I give Hamilton more critical care and some metacam? I have no ranitidine but do have metacam - might it help him to eat if it eases the pain?

Any advice appreciated, I really am on my bed of sickness at the moment so am finding it hard to manage this. Thank you.

Hi everyone,

He said Hamilton was fine having his breakfast this morning but this evening he refused to eat his pellets and was lying down like he was bloated. I administered a small amount of critical care but he still wasn't eating so we've bought them all in for the night.

Should I give Hamilton more critical care and some metacam? I have no ranitidine but do have metacam - might it help him to eat if it eases the pain?

Any advice appreciated, I really am on my bed of sickness at the moment so am finding it hard to manage this. Thank you.
Get him to a vet, I wouldn't give any more cc until a blockage has been ruled out, and get meds from the vet, sorry for quick response just didn't wanna read and run xx

Hi everyone,

Oh dear I am sorry that Hamilton is unwell and that you are too. If he is looking bloated and has not had any poo output throughout the day (what comes out is as important as what is going in) then I would not administer any syringe feeds. Can your OH get him to the Vet this evening. Or maybe phone the Vet for advice first. Even if you did have any prokinetics I would not advise administering them unless you can be certain there is not a GI tract obstruction.

Sending lots of vibes x

Get him to a vet, I wouldn't give any more cc until a blockage has been ruled out, and get meds from the vet, sorry for quick response just didn't wanna read and run xx

No vets are open now until Monday :cry: I've never called an after hours vet before, I'm going to have to look into it.

No vets are open now until Monday :cry: I've never called an after hours vet before, I'm going to have to look into it.
Most vets have OOH call their number there's probably a recorded message for what to do xx

Oh no, I'm sorry to read this. I'm also sorry that you're also unwell. I'm afraid I agree with Jane and Graciee. He really needs to be examined this evening by a vet before you give him any syringe feeds or any meds.

It's probably not possible now to distinguish between his and the other two's poop in the litter tray, but I would get your OH to try to do this from now. It's important to know whether he is producing any output.

I agree, if you ring your normal vets, there will be a recorded message advising which vet is open. I really hope that your OH can get him seen asap and get some medication for him.

Hi everyone,

Hi there

I am so sorry to hear about Hamilton. What a worry, and you not well yourself!

If you have any Infacol, you can give that without any problem - you don't need to consult a vet or wonder whether there's a blockage. It works. However, if you don't have any, or prefer not to, then I would call the OOH vet and see what they say.

Is there no vet open even tomorrow morning?

If his guts aren't moving, then it's unwise to give any meds or food until you can be sure he hasn't got a blockage.
Does he feel cold to the touch?

Hugs.

Some info, if you haven't already seen it:

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv/basic

http://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/pdfs/ROWinter10p7.pdf

Thanks for the vibes everyone.

I realised that the vet was open for another 20 minutes today, so I called up and ended up bawling my eyes out on the phone (much to my horror) because I've been so ill - I was exhausted and overwhelmed.

That embarrassing moment aside, I rushed him to the vet and he had a gut injection and metacam. She said there were still sounds in his gut so he wasn't in full stasis. He's had similar episodes before - the last one in September.

He hasn't eaten since we got hom an hour ago but he's in the litter try so I hope he's trying. There's hay and water to hand and I keep offering him greens.

If he's still bad in the morning then the vet is open until 10.30AM. I'll make sure I'm up early to check his status.

Thanks for the vibes everyone.

I realised that the vet was open for another 20 minutes today, so I called up and ended up bawling my eyes out on the phone (much to my horror) because I've been so ill - I was exhausted and overwhelmed.

That embarrassing moment aside, I rushed him to the vet and he had a gut injection and metacam. She said there were still sounds in his gut so he wasn't in full stasis. He's had similar episodes before - the last one in September.

He hasn't eaten since we got hom an hour ago but he's in the litter try so I hope he's trying. There's hay and water to hand and I keep offering him greens.

If he's still bad in the morning then the vet is open until 10.30AM. I'll make sure I'm up early to check his status.

Do you have Infacol? :wave:

Infacol.co,uk

If you do, folk on the Forum here have found it a life-saver for bunnies :)

Well done for getting him seen this evening. I hope that the meds start to work and he starts to nibble again soon. It's useful that your vets is open again in the morning. If you haven't been given any oral meds to continue with at home, I would ask them for some tomorrow. Did the vet exclude a blockage and say to syringe feed him?

Keep a watch on how much poo he is producing as well.

If you have any herbs or fresh grass, that might tempt him :)

How are you feeling now?

Hugs for you and vibes for the little one

If you have any herbs or fresh grass, that might tempt him :)

How are you feeling now?

Hugs for you and vibes for the little one

He's still refusing to eat guys, and was grunting a moment ago like he's in pain :(

The vet didn't say anything about a blockahe and said we could try syringe feeding him.

We were given randitine but instructed not to give until morning. Would it harm him to give it to him now? I'm so worried and don't know what to do.

She said the injection was a gut stimulant - would that have been more randitine?

He's shown no improvement whatsoever :(

He's still refusing to eat guys, and was grunting a moment ago like he's in pain :(

The vet didn't say anything about a blockahe and said we could try syringe feeding him.

We were given randitine but instructed not to give until morning. Would it harm him to give it to him now? I'm so worried and don't know what to do.

She said the injection was a gut stimulant - would that have been more randitine?

Poor Ham :( Please don't give the randitine til morning & if it were me, not before I'd consulted with the vet again. If he does have a blockage it could make things worse. Blood glucose tests are useful - bit late for now but if you have to see a vet again. They are really good at saying if a rabbit is likely to have a blockage. Is he grinding or sitting hunched? You could call the OOH vet & get 2nd opinion ? With every OOH I've had contact with you call your reg vet number & get diverted . Massive hugs, its horrible to go through, esp when you're unwell yourself xx

Can you call the OOH vet to look up the computer records and explain why he can't have ranitidine tonight? The gut stimulant was probably not ranitidine, as that's mainly to protect the stomach although it does have some gut motility properties (mild)

The vet examined him and said there was no blockage that could be felt, yes?
He didn't do a blood glucose test?

Is he on pain relief? Do you know if he was given any at the vet, or have you been given Metacam to use at home?

Sorry for all the questions x

Can you call the OOH vet to look up the computer records and explain why he can't have ranitidine tonight? The gut stimulant was probably not ranitidine, as that's mainly to protect the stomach although it does have some gut motility properties (mild)

The vet examined him and said there was no blockage that could be felt, yes?
He didn't do a blood glucose test?

Is he on pain relief? Do you know if he was given any at the vet, or have you been given Metacam to use at home?

Sorry for all the questions x

MM + Joey&Boo, thank you so much for your messages. 5 mins after typing the above, Hamiltom got up and started eating hay. OH gave him pellets, broccoli and dandelions - all eaten!

Now he's nibbling a cardboard box and running around a lot. This looks promising - will update properly in the morning and properly answer your questions then.

Thank you so much lovely people for your support!

MM + Joey&Boo, thank you so much for your messages. 5 mins after typing the above, Hamiltom got up and started eating hay. OH gave him pellets, broccoli and dandelions - all eaten!

Now he's nibbling a cardboard box and running around a lot. This looks promising - will update properly in the morning and properly answer your questions then.

Oh phew!!!!!

What a wonderful update :D

So pleased to hear this.

Watch for his output (that he has some!) but he sounds like he's doing really good xx

Fabulous. Sometimes they just turn a corner really quickly & I imagine his metacam & mobility drugs helped with that. I feel good about this update. Hope you get a good nights kip after your stressful day xx

I hope that Hamilton has continued to improve overnight. Personally I'd take the cardboard box away from him if he's nibbling it as it's best that he does not ingest cardboard whilst his GI tract motility is already compromised.

Sending more vibes for him and I hope that you are feeling a bit better today too :)

Back