Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 51

Thread: Hamilton Gut Stasis

  1. #1
    Alpha Buck
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    831

    Default Hamilton Gut Stasis

    Hi everyone,

    I've been ill in bed this week so OH has been looking after the buns.

    He said Hamilton was fine having his breakfast this morning but this evening he refused to eat his pellets and was lying down like he was bloated. I administered a small amount of critical care but he still wasn't eating so we've bought them all in for the night.

    Should I give Hamilton more critical care and some metacam? I have no ranitidine but do have metacam - might it help him to eat if it eases the pain?

    Any advice appreciated, I really am on my bed of sickness at the moment so am finding it hard to manage this. Thank you.

  2. #2
    Moderator Graciee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    7,706

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beapig View Post
    Hi everyone,

    I've been ill in bed this week so OH has been looking after the buns.

    He said Hamilton was fine having his breakfast this morning but this evening he refused to eat his pellets and was lying down like he was bloated. I administered a small amount of critical care but he still wasn't eating so we've bought them all in for the night.

    Should I give Hamilton more critical care and some metacam? I have no ranitidine but do have metacam - might it help him to eat if it eases the pain?

    Any advice appreciated, I really am on my bed of sickness at the moment so am finding it hard to manage this. Thank you.
    Get him to a vet, I wouldn't give any more cc until a blockage has been ruled out, and get meds from the vet, sorry for quick response just didn't wanna read and run xx

  3. #3
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Above Ground ATM
    Posts
    138,403

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beapig View Post
    Hi everyone,

    I've been ill in bed this week so OH has been looking after the buns.

    He said Hamilton was fine having his breakfast this morning but this evening he refused to eat his pellets and was lying down like he was bloated. I administered a small amount of critical care but he still wasn't eating so we've bought them all in for the night.

    Should I give Hamilton more critical care and some metacam? I have no ranitidine but do have metacam - might it help him to eat if it eases the pain?

    Any advice appreciated, I really am on my bed of sickness at the moment so am finding it hard to manage this. Thank you.
    Oh dear I am sorry that Hamilton is unwell and that you are too. If he is looking bloated and has not had any poo output throughout the day (what comes out is as important as what is going in) then I would not administer any syringe feeds. Can your OH get him to the Vet this evening. Or maybe phone the Vet for advice first. Even if you did have any prokinetics I would not advise administering them unless you can be certain there is not a GI tract obstruction.

    Sending lots of vibes x


    Links to information about various health problems that can affect Rabbits :
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...ealth-Problems
    NB- If you think your Rabbit is unwell it is essential to seek immediate veterinary attention.

    The RWAF Owner Conference 2019 ~ https://shop.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/pro...clinical-2019/

  4. #4
    Alpha Buck
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    831

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Graciee View Post
    Get him to a vet, I wouldn't give any more cc until a blockage has been ruled out, and get meds from the vet, sorry for quick response just didn't wanna read and run xx
    No vets are open now until Monday I've never called an after hours vet before, I'm going to have to look into it.

  5. #5
    Moderator Graciee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    7,706

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beapig View Post
    No vets are open now until Monday I've never called an after hours vet before, I'm going to have to look into it.
    Most vets have OOH call their number there's probably a recorded message for what to do xx

  6. #6
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    15,115

    Default

    Oh no, I'm sorry to read this. I'm also sorry that you're also unwell. I'm afraid I agree with Jane and Graciee. He really needs to be examined this evening by a vet before you give him any syringe feeds or any meds.

    It's probably not possible now to distinguish between his and the other two's poop in the litter tray, but I would get your OH to try to do this from now. It's important to know whether he is producing any output.

    I agree, if you ring your normal vets, there will be a recorded message advising which vet is open. I really hope that your OH can get him seen asap and get some medication for him.
    " We will remain friends until the end of days, and one day longer"......Donald Tusk

    “We cannot go back and change the beginning. But we can start where we are and change the ending”.........C.S. Lewis

  7. #7
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    44,433

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beapig View Post
    Hi everyone,

    I've been ill in bed this week so OH has been looking after the buns.

    He said Hamilton was fine having his breakfast this morning but this evening he refused to eat his pellets and was lying down like he was bloated. I administered a small amount of critical care but he still wasn't eating so we've bought them all in for the night.

    Should I give Hamilton more critical care and some metacam? I have no ranitidine but do have metacam - might it help him to eat if it eases the pain?

    Any advice appreciated, I really am on my bed of sickness at the moment so am finding it hard to manage this. Thank you.


    Hi there

    I am so sorry to hear about Hamilton. What a worry, and you not well yourself!

    If you have any Infacol, you can give that without any problem - you don't need to consult a vet or wonder whether there's a blockage. It works. However, if you don't have any, or prefer not to, then I would call the OOH vet and see what they say.

    Is there no vet open even tomorrow morning?

    If his guts aren't moving, then it's unwise to give any meds or food until you can be sure he hasn't got a blockage.
    Does he feel cold to the touch?

    Hugs.

    Some info, if you haven't already seen it:

    http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv/basic

    http://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/pdfs/ROWinter10p7.pdf

  8. #8

    Default

    Sending vibes x

  9. #9
    Alpha Buck
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    831

    Default

    Thanks for the vibes everyone.

    I realised that the vet was open for another 20 minutes today, so I called up and ended up bawling my eyes out on the phone (much to my horror) because I've been so ill - I was exhausted and overwhelmed.

    That embarrassing moment aside, I rushed him to the vet and he had a gut injection and metacam. She said there were still sounds in his gut so he wasn't in full stasis. He's had similar episodes before - the last one in September.

    He hasn't eaten since we got hom an hour ago but he's in the litter try so I hope he's trying. There's hay and water to hand and I keep offering him greens.

    If he's still bad in the morning then the vet is open until 10.30AM. I'll make sure I'm up early to check his status.

  10. #10
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    44,433

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beapig View Post
    Thanks for the vibes everyone.

    I realised that the vet was open for another 20 minutes today, so I called up and ended up bawling my eyes out on the phone (much to my horror) because I've been so ill - I was exhausted and overwhelmed.

    That embarrassing moment aside, I rushed him to the vet and he had a gut injection and metacam. She said there were still sounds in his gut so he wasn't in full stasis. He's had similar episodes before - the last one in September.

    He hasn't eaten since we got hom an hour ago but he's in the litter try so I hope he's trying. There's hay and water to hand and I keep offering him greens.

    If he's still bad in the morning then the vet is open until 10.30AM. I'll make sure I'm up early to check his status.

    Do you have Infacol?

    Infacol.co,uk

    If you do, folk on the Forum here have found it a life-saver for bunnies

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •