Thread: Safe haven for indoor buns?

Default Safe haven for indoor buns?

Hypothetically, if a rabbit(s) were to free range in a kitchen, what are your thoughts on creating a safe hideaway type space for them? Any ideas on size or construction? Thereíd be a baby gate to keep them in the kitchen and then they could have supervised access to other rooms. Do you think just restricting them to the kitchen/diner would be okay or do you think it would be more sensible for them to have an area within the kitchen that they could be confined to if needed eg if visitors or trades people were in?

My bunnies are in one room when no one else is home. The only time Iíve ever had a workman needing access to that room, it was when I had Boots, and I put him in a carrier for the short period I had to have any dealings with the man, and the rest of the time he just free ranged in the room where I was.

I suppose it depends on your house layout and if you have visitors often that the rabbits would want to get away from you could have a puppy pen on hand just in case?

Binky free at the bridge Boots, you will never be forgotten xxxx

I’m billynomates so it’s probably not going to be a big issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Glingle View Post
    Iím billynomates so itís probably not going to be a big issue.
    We donít get many visitors I do have a puppy pen now that I bought for bonding so if I ever need that it would be handy.

Does this mean you will be having the house to yourself soon

Fingers crossed or maybe I figured something small could be squeezed in....

Fingers crossed for you xx

So, thinking of something like this for the kitchen door https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002DU...v_ov_lig_dp_it
    And then wondering about a grid system thingy to create a bunny zone. Not figured out how many I’d need to make a safe space with a roof that I could put a blanket or something over to make a safe space. Don’t know if this is a reasonable price https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07874...v_ov_lig_dp_it
    Or if just leaving their carrier open would give them an eclosed space to hide in? Thinking of using a potting tray as a litter tray as it works well in the shed.

I like the C&C cages idea for indoor shelter, putting a blanket over or similar would work. When we had Lopsy indoors when he had been ill and we were waiting to get him back outside, he just had a carrier but I felt it was too small for a permanent indoor shelter. I always like to think they might like to move around a bit in their shelter!
    The geeky one...

Often available for bunny runs: PM for details.

Honestly I'd just get them a second hand coffee table with some comfy bedding underneath. IME they just like to be under cover xx

Hmm, yeah under the kitchen table is likely to be a popular spot. Suddenly realised last night that Iíll need to order a second carrier!