• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Skye (cat) - 2006 to 16th January 2019

KarenM

Administrator
Staff member
Skye came to us as a rescue in the summer of 2008; she was thought to be around 18 mths (although we came to wonder if she was possibly older) and had been found as a stray with a litter of kittens.

She wasn't a very snuggly cat but, every so often, she would surprise us by wanting to sit on our laps. She very much enjoyed jumping on me & sleeping on my chest at 5am on a regular basis though!

Skye was diagnosed with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy around 6 years ago but was symptom free until last summer. Since then, meds have kept her symptoms at bay, while her heart has been failing and she had been doing remarkably well, all things considered.

She had deteriorated rapidly in the last couple of weeks though and no longer had any energy or enthusiasm for life. The vet said her heart was struggling and barely beating, more of a flutter really, so any exertion (no matter how minor) was exhausting for her.

Meds might have given her a little more time but we'd had to resort to an injectable form recently and, with Skye being so thin, she found it very painful. We thought long and hard but felt it was kinder to let her go than to force her to endure so much with little benefit and such a poor quality of life.

She will be sadly missed by us all. Xx

705d885e75a3cd5c3598cbc76fc190dd.jpg
adaf248226a657f2259e8ba5f9d26ac8.jpg

What a tough decision that must have been, but the right one, I'm sure. :( So sorry to see this. Thinking of you xxx

I’m so sorry:cry: she was beautiful:love: thinking of you and sending hugs xx

Run free at the bridge Skye xx

I'm so very sorry, Karen. It's so hard when you've battled long against illness with them and then this terrible time comes. Skye was a lovely, beautiful cat. I hope my Griffyn has given her a kind welcome at the Bridge. (((((((Huge hugs))))))) You are in my thoughts and sending comforting vibes your way.

Sweet dreams, Skye. xxxxx

Thank you all. xx

It still hasn't sunk in really and I found myself instinctively looking to see where she was when I went for my usual 'toilet break' in the middle of the night to make sure I didn't trample on her. :cry:

Thank you all. xx

It still hasn't sunk in really and I found myself instinctively looking to see where she was when I went for my usual 'toilet break' in the middle of the night to make sure I didn't trample on her. :cry:

Yes, I understand completely. She was part of your family and you’ve cared for her for so many years that it doesn’t seem possible she is no longer with you. :cry: X

Yes, I understand completely. She was part of your family and you’ve cared for her for so many years that it doesn’t seem possible she is no longer with you. :cry: X

This, exactly :cry: thinking of you and sending more hugs xx

:( So very true.

We knew when Skye was very first diagnosed that the condition is very unpredictable & so every moment was cherished. When she started to struggle we knew that we would most likely need to let her go at some point but you just hope that the day never comes I guess.

Back