• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Stasis again!

Truffpuff

Mama Doe
I’m a bit on my own so for some sanity I feel like I just needed to post because I don’t know what’s right anymore and I just keep getting upset.

Monday evening I noticed Truffle picked at dinner but wasn’t really bothered to much, when ever I looked at him in the night via bun cam he didn’t do much. So I booked an appointment Tuesday morning and knew everyone would think I was mental but I just knew he was about to go into stasis again and while he would still at least pick at herbs and not on hunger strike.

Vet could feel good guts and poops but felt one side had bigger poops and said it might be the big ones are slow to exit so slowing the passing of poop more and why I only saw teeny hard ones that morning. So have gut stimulants to help everything move. Four large poops have passed Monday night.

But the yesterday he decided he was done trying and won’t sniff any food stuffs and I exhausted all my usual tricks, so I had to do what I was hoping to avoid by early diagnosis, Critical Care. He did no poop yesterday so vet said if nothing in the morning he (and Luther) will have to be hospitalised. There was some small amount of hard tacky poops in the tray this morning and stuck on his butt fluff. So vet said carry on but feed every 2-3 hours so I am.

When he moves around he looks normal but when he sits or stays still he looks miserable and just rocks from his own heart beat. He occasionally today has done a weird stretching out with his neck like a person wanting to burp....but I know they can’t :-/

I’m just so lost on what’s best, continue at home where he’s more comfortable and keep freaking out at weird things he does and how sad he is, or take him in to do what I’m doing but there’s vets there but risk more stress and potentially the bond because both won’t like being left I doubt.

Apologies for the essay, I just needed to let it out because I’m home alone and a worrier.

557575b19c593e693ec3c14a0db783f4.jpg

a19db56d1add3477d15265ebba15c096.jpg

bf5f35b705d6dc134b71621d5d5b47f3.jpg

b25941262e3429cf4dba81a3ecd8ac62.jpg

9e03b9d84b91c0d20af65b92fb8bd922.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh I'm sorry he's unwell :( don't really have any suggestions or advice, but I've dealt with stasis at home before a few times, and it really is so worrying and stressful :( hugs xx

Is he still drinking by himself? x

Oh I'm sorry he's unwell :( don't really have any suggestions or advice, but I've dealt with stasis at home before a few times, and it really is so worrying and stressful :( hugs xx

Is he still drinking by himself? x

I just don’t understand why it keeps happening to him and it’s so hard to know what’s right.

Thanks you :)

He does sometimes after I’ve syringe fed him, he runs away flicking his feet at me to “his mopey spot” and drinks. Xx

I would always opt to treat my rabbits at home, if the treatment was something I was able to give. This would not be so much because of fears about their bond being damaged, but because I know my rabbits become very stressed away from home and therefore hopefully would be more likely to react more positively to the medication.

Sending the gorgeous boy lots of vibes. I hope he starts to improve soon.

I would always opt to treat my rabbits at home, if the treatment was something I was able to give. This would not be so much because of fears about their bond being damaged, but because I know my rabbits become very stressed away from home and therefore hopefully would be more likely to react more positively to the medication.

Sending the gorgeous boy lots of vibes. I hope he starts to improve soon.

See that’s exactly my main thought track, that being at home would be better in the long run. It’s just when he does weird things that I freak out that he’s going to die (dramatic I know lol) and I can’t keep messaging the vets.

I wonder if the weird burping motion when he sits up sometimes is maybe pain..... he’s also become more fussy and grunts/squeaky through his nose when I’m syringing or massaging him. He’s only on emeprid at the moment so might ask for pain relief.

Thank you <3 me too it horrible seeing him so sad. But Luther rather wonderfully has been looking after him, checking up on him and chasing away the cats (even though they are just walking past lol)!

I’m sorry he’s not well :cry: do you know what is causing it? Did the vet check his teeth? Is he on any gut medicines and or metacam? Sending lots of vibes xx

See that’s exactly my main thought track, that being at home would be better in the long run. It’s just when he does weird things that I freak out that he’s going to die (dramatic I know lol) and I can’t keep messaging the vets.

I wonder if the weird burping motion when he sits up sometimes is maybe pain..... he’s also become more fussy and grunts/squeaky through his nose when I’m syringing or massaging him. He’s only on emeprid at the moment so might ask for pain relief.

Thank you <3 me too it horrible seeing him so sad. But Luther rather wonderfully has been looking after him, checking up on him and chasing away the cats (even though they are just walking past lol)!

I become much more anxious when I can't see how my rabbits are, when they've been at the vets.

I would definitely ask for some pain relief. Stasis can be painful and I think it would be helpful.

I’m sorry he’s not well :cry: do you know what is causing it? Did the vet check his teeth? Is he on any gut medicines and or metacam? Sending lots of vibes xx

His diet hasn’t changed at all but a few months ago he got gas so went into stasis.
This time the only thing I can think of is we had a bit of soundproof put up on sat but the buns were around his feet getting in the way so weren’t stressed, when there was a bit of drilling they went into the kitchen in their pen and cuddled.....but that said Luther is the stress head whereas Truffle loves the hoover! But I don’t know if that’s why he’s get big log poops.
Or i have been putting baby rabbit selective pellets into a treat ball to entertain them, but they have had them before.

Teeth were checked at his jabs in Nov he’s only on emeprid because on examination when it was just big poops he wasn’t in pain, but now he’s worse I’ve just asked for something else. So vets putting up for me metacam and Zantac. He said tomorrow if no improvement he has to be hospitalised :-(

Thank you xx

I become much more anxious when I can't see how my rabbits are, when they've been at the vets.

I would definitely ask for some pain relief. Stasis can be painful and I think it would be helpful.

That’s also true! It was easier when I worked at the vets because I could be involved.

I’ve asked, he said he will put up metacam and Zantac for me to collect. But if he’s the same tomorrow they have to be hospitalised :-(

:( Your poor little soldier & poor you. I'd treat at home if my vet felt I could offer what they could. Pain relief sounds sensible. so i'd certainly ask for that. Loads of vibes xx

:( Your poor little soldier & poor you. I'd treat at home if my vet felt I could offer what they could. Pain relief sounds sensible. so i'd certainly ask for that. Loads of vibes xx

Thank you x

I know he’s just so sad and it’s not him at all :-(

I’ve asked for more meds and he said I can collect metacam and Zantac so I’m going to get them in a bit so I can give them at his next feed (1.30pm)
But he said if he’s like this tomorrow he has to go in for the day.

Thank you xx

If he’s not had his teeth checked since November I would get them checked again. A none dental bunny can become a dental bunny, especially if they have periods when they aren’t eating properly, and a lot can change in that time.

I’m really sorry Truffle is unwell [emoji17] Hopefully once you start giving the metacam he will perk up a bit.

I know exactly what you mean by the looking like they’re trying to burp pose. I once saw one of my buns do it and shortly afterwards she starting showing signs of abdominal discomfort and early signs of stasis. Unfortunately I don’t know what that means. I assumed gas (probably wrongly comparing human digestive tracts with rabbits’) but no sign of gas when examined by the vet, just slightly slower gut sounds. Unless there was gas and the journey to the vet jiggled it out.

Sorry, I’m rambling!

Sending lots of vibes for Truffy and I really hope he turns a corner soon. xx

As well as a full abdominal examination did the Vet check his heart and lung sounds ?

Also, have you noticed that he has an increased respiratory effort ?

Fluids given either IV or subcutaneously are very beneficial as part of the treatment of gut stasis, even if the Rabbit is not systemically dehydrated. When the GI tract motility is reduced any ingesta within the GI tract rapidly dehydrates. This makes it more difficult to break down and pass through. My Vet has agreed to me giving fluid therapy alongside prokinetics and analgesia as soon as stasis occurs. Since doing this I have noted that the Rabbit responds much more quickly to treatment. If the Vet did not administer any fluids then I would definitely request that they do.

I am sure that you have read this link multiple times, but I am posting it again as a way of verifying what I have just posted re fluid therapy, see page 4 :

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv

I hope that Truffle will feel better soon xx

I’m really sorry Truffle is unwell [emoji17] Hopefully once you start giving the metacam he will perk up a bit.

I know exactly what you mean by the looking like they’re trying to burp pose. I once saw one of my buns do it and shortly afterwards she starting showing signs of abdominal discomfort and early signs of stasis. Unfortunately I don’t know what that means. I assumed gas (probably wrongly comparing human digestive tracts with rabbits’) but no sign of gas when examined by the vet, just slightly slower gut sounds. Unless there was gas and the journey to the vet jiggled it out.

Sorry, I’m rambling!

Sending lots of vibes for Truffy and I really hope he turns a corner soon. xx

That is actually really helpful though, just the fact you know what I’m talking about! I tried to google it but all I could find was info on rabbits having problems breathing which definitely isn’t it.
Truffle had gas last time but didn’t do it then, so I wonder if it’s pain related and a bit like when you get a bit of food stuck and you can feel it going down....maybe it’s that kind of discomfort but in his guts. As with anything bunny I’m sure we will never know, but I’m glad someone else has witnessed it too!

Thank you, me too :-( literally breaking my heart. He’s had now metacam, zantac, emeprid and Critical Care so it’s safe to say he actually hates me at the moment and is in pain because he won’t let me massage him now.

Thank you for the vibes and support it means a lot xx

As well as a full abdominal examination did the Vet check his heart and lung sounds ?

Also, have you noticed that he has an increased respiratory effort ?

Fluids given either IV or subcutaneously are very beneficial as part of the treatment of gut stasis, even if the Rabbit is not systemically dehydrated. When the GI tract motility is reduced any ingesta within the GI tract rapidly dehydrates. This makes it more difficult to break down and pass through. My Vet has agreed to me giving fluid therapy alongside prokinetics and analgesia as soon as stasis occurs. Since doing this I have noted that the Rabbit responds much more quickly to treatment. If the Vet did not administer any fluids then I would definitely request that they do.

I am sure that you have read this link multiple times, but I am posting it again as a way of verifying what I have just posted re fluid therapy, see page 4 :

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv

I hope that Truffle will feel better soon xx

Hi,

Yes he did check all sounds and was happy on Monday and his breathing now is fine but I counted his resps and it’s high but that’s probably stress and pain.

I was thinking something similar about this earlier because despite being syringe fed he then drinks after too so I thought despite not being dehydrated maybe that’s what his body is asking for so his next feed I was going to syringe him some after.
I have been trying to avoid taking them in today and doing what I can at home to turn him around because it’s a 40 min drive and they really hate the car. But the vet said if he’s the same tomorrow he has to be admitted so I’ll ask for s/c fluids if I do have to take him there.

I will definitely ask upfront in the future (not that I’m hoping this happens ever again!!) to take home fluids to be able to do s/c at home.
Thank you for that I will have a good read now.

Thank you, me too. I just wish I could tell if he is just miserable because he feels rubbish or if there is something worse happened now that wasn’t occurring Monday, because he wasn’t even in pain then.

Poor puffy :-(
Xx

:( :( :(

I agree it's best for the bunnies to be at home as less stressful. My vets hospitalise my bunnies as they know ill be up all night worrying and they have two vets up all night but if I had had a choice I would like to look after them at home.

Those pictures are so sad and unfortunately too familiar to me. Makes my heart ache.

I think Truffy maybe should have some x rays and bloods if it's not teeth related to find out what's causing this.

All my love and all the vibes in the world xxxx

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Back