• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I need a little help!

slob1231

Warren Scout
So guys, as most of you know I'm planning on getting a friend bun for Coco, at the moment he has a huge dog cage (really only gets used when we go out or when its bedtime!) I know when i get a new bun we need to separate them at first BUT I'm lookin at getting them a new cage, Coco is a giant con cross standard rex so I don't know how much bigger he's going to grow [emoji57] does anyone have any idea what i can go for? We won't get two litter trays in the one hes got now and Coco needs a lot of space due to his size he likes to stretch out! I am looking at getting them a two tier one, but not sure if this one would be big enough? (He's an indoor rabbit by the way!)
1612b0c13cb57ac1df811bf897206dfa.jpg

Sent from my Nokia 7 plus using Tapatalk

So guys, as most of you know I'm planning on getting a friend bun for Coco, at the moment he has a huge dog cage (really only gets used when we go out or when its bedtime!) I know when i get a new bun we need to separate them at first BUT I'm lookin at getting them a new cage, Coco is a giant con cross standard rex so I don't know how much bigger he's going to grow [emoji57] does anyone have any idea what i can go for? We won't get two litter trays in the one hes got now and Coco needs a lot of space due to his size he likes to stretch out! I am looking at getting them a two tier one, but not sure if this one would be big enough? (He's an indoor rabbit by the way!)
1612b0c13cb57ac1df811bf897206dfa.jpg

Hey :)

I really wouldn't go for that personally, they are tiny, imo that's not really suitable for even a tiny rabbit. The minimum size they should be locked in is like 6ft by 2ft by 2ft? I think you can look on the RWAF. And the attached run should be 8ft by 6ft I think, technically they're supposed to have that amount of space available to them all the time, so those types of hutches are really rubbish. What about a larger dog crate? Or puppy pens? Hopefully someone else will have some ideas x

Hey :)

I really wouldn't go for that personally, they are tiny, imo that's not really suitable for even a tiny rabbit. The minimum size they should be locked in is like 6ft by 2ft by 2ft? I think you can look on the RWAF. And the attached run should be 8ft by 6ft I think, technically they're supposed to have that amount of space available to them all the time, so those types of hutches are really rubbish. What about a larger dog crate? Or puppy pens? Hopefully someone else will have some ideas x
He already has a large dog crate, no way will i fit two rabbits in there [emoji30] thank you! I'll look for something else. Beginning to think I'll have to get a shed in my living room [emoji23]

He already has a large dog crate, no way will i fit two rabbits in there [emoji30] thank you! I'll look for something else. Beginning to think I'll have to get a shed in my living room [emoji23]

[emoji38][emoji38]

What about puppy pens panels? You could make them as big as you want :) amazon sell some good ones

Hi, we've got one of these in the corner of our bedroom for 2 buns.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Bunny-Busi...osure-Small-Gunme/2256081063?iid=253826529186

I'm not sure what you have now size wise, but I really rate these. I think there's 3 height choices, ours is the highest but we probably could have got away with the next one down. Our buns are free roaming in the room, but I've recently started penning them in at night as they were jumping all over me in bed x

Hi, we've got one of these in the corner of our bedroom for 2 buns.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Bunny-Busi...osure-Small-Gunme/2256081063?iid=253826529186

I'm not sure what you have now size wise, but I really rate these. I think there's 3 height choices, ours is the highest but we probably could have got away with the next one down. Our buns are free roaming in the room, but I've recently started penning them in at night as they were jumping all over me in bed x
I have a few of these :)

Thanks everyone, Coco is quite a laid back rabbit he likes his cage to chill alot litter tray is also in there, its his own space as we have 3 kids plus hes a big bunny so quite lazy sometimes [emoji23] when unattended he chews everything he can get his teeth on so really only close him in at bedtime or if we are out for long periods. Other than that his cage door is open and he comes out when hes ready. I need something hes not going to jump out of so are these recommendations tall enough?

Thanks everyone, Coco is quite a laid back rabbit he likes his cage to chill alot litter tray is also in there, its his own space as we have 3 kids plus hes a big bunny so quite lazy sometimes [emoji23] when unattended he chews everything he can get his teeth on so really only close him in at bedtime or if we are out for long periods. Other than that his cage door is open and he comes out when hes ready. I need something hes not going to jump out of so are these recommendations tall enough?

We have two XL dog crates attached together we just removed two of the ends to make one long crate. We also have a puppy pen attached as their run. Perhaps something like that would work for Coco?

I've attached a picture for you. Hope it makes sense. They pen normal goes around the edge of the white fleece when we shut them in. I think there was a larger size of crate above these ones, but as we had teeny Nethies I thought that would be over kill. Haha
1bf40de86675dd9128fe26f3107ffbb0.jpg

I wouldn't bother with the hutch: it's perfect for a multi-area outdoor setup as a little hideyhole or similar (mine love their tiny hutch), but worse than useless as a main home for any length of time. Better to practically wall off a whole area with puppy panels as described. A second dog crate wouldn't be a bad idea, I don't think: I've just enquired about one that came up ion my local Freecycle :)

I wouldn't bother with the hutch: it's perfect for a multi-area outdoor setup as a little hideyhole or similar (mine love their tiny hutch), but worse than useless as a main home for any length of time. Better to practically wall off a whole area with puppy panels as described. A second dog crate wouldn't be a bad idea, I don't think: I've just enquired about one that came up ion my local Freecycle :)
We already have a dog crate its not big enough! Looks like a whole living room renovation is in order [emoji23] might have to pack up an live in the shed myself haha. I will look into the panels everyones mentioned on here & make it big enough for both of them x

We have two XL dog crates attached together we just removed two of the ends to make one long crate. We also have a puppy pen attached as their run. Perhaps something like that would work for Coco?

I've attached a picture for you. Hope it makes sense. They pen normal goes around the edge of the white fleece when we shut them in. I think there was a larger size of crate above these ones, but as we had teeny Nethies I thought that would be over kill. Haha
1bf40de86675dd9128fe26f3107ffbb0.jpg
Aww your bun is beautiful! I'll have to look into doing this [emoji4]

Thanks everyone, Coco is quite a laid back rabbit he likes his cage to chill alot litter tray is also in there, its his own space as we have 3 kids plus hes a big bunny so quite lazy sometimes [emoji23] when unattended he chews everything he can get his teeth on so really only close him in at bedtime or if we are out for long periods. Other than that his cage door is open and he comes out when hes ready. I need something hes not going to jump out of so are these recommendations tall enough

Yeah, ours is so tall that they struggle to even get over the open gate, let alone the sides, it definitely doesn't need a top (for indoors ofc). I've put a box/step either side to make it easier for them :). Ones a Dutch and the other a dwarf lop so not tiny. There's room for two litter trays, bowls etc and still space for toys and to hop around x

Yeah, ours is so tall that they struggle to even get over the open gate, let alone the sides, it definitely doesn't need a top (for indoors ofc). I've put a box/step either side to make it easier for them :). Ones a Dutch and the other a dwarf lop so not tiny. There's room for two litter trays, bowls etc and still space for toys and to hop around x
Thank you very much! I will have a browse!

When I was bonding I used puppy panels to make a pen, I used screw eyes into the skirting board etc and used tie wraps to attach the panels or the long connecting pins of the panels to go down them, to use the walls as a side of the pen :thumb:

if you're worried about him (or any bun) jumping over, get a veil / net curtain and peg it over the top. its what I've done and it works well, picked up a cheap one from either wilkos or pound stretcher :) mine used to jump over, but now they can't lol. just make sure to peg it tight and possibly use more pegs than seems necessary, as mine will climb up the side and slip through a tiny gap! a net or veiled curtain works best imho as its see through, so light can still get in.

When I was bonding I used puppy panels to make a pen, I used screw eyes into the skirting board etc and used tie wraps to attach the panels or the long connecting pins of the panels to go down them, to use the walls as a side of the pen :thumb:
YES, that's what I need to do! Like adding a ladder anchor outdoors! Thanks for sharing :D

Back