• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Raven had another dental Jan 15 2019

I am glad to ear that Raven improved. At least some good news but not quite enough improvement yet!

Now Gemini and Madelyn giving cause for concern, and I am sorry to read about your knees. I had a very bad knee injury and was offered an injection (not steroid) as it wasn't improving, but i couldn't bar the thought of it.

You are very brave but I am sorry it affected you adversely.

Raven is almost his normal self today. I did not have to give Critical Care last night or this morning since he is eating and drinking enough on his own.
I have deteriorated joints so I am getting the injections to delay major knee replacement surgery as long as possible. I can still do most activities that do not require a lot of impact on my knees; including walking, stairs, swimming, cleaning, etc. MM, I am not brave; just more afraid of major surgery than getting these shots; with or without temporary side effects. When I had other injections the doctor made a once made comment when I flinched that it was just the pen he was using to mark the injection site!

Hi Jane,

I am feeling much better today, as are the bunnies. Raven is enjoying his greens, pellets and some hay. Gemini has not had any more pasty poo, is eating his pellets and greens; although he is not eating much hay. I am glad he is healthy for his dental in the morning. Madelyn passed several rosary strands of fur laced poo so I am continuing her on motility meds. I may begin her on fluids today because she is drinking less than she should at the moment. She is still producing pee so she may just be getting moisture from the extra greens she is getting. However, I would rather be safe.

Jane, I do not like shots. However, the doctor will either freeze or numb the area of the injection--plus it only takes a few seconds on each knee to get the injection. The doctor can even mix some numbing medication with the cortisone so you can have several hours pain free. My doctor has me ice the injection sites for a couple days. Even though I had what may have been a side effect with the headache, facial flushing, and dizziness; I am now fine. This is the first time I felt this poorly after an injection so it may not be related. . However, if the cortisone works for as many months as last time to reduce inflammation and discomfort in my knees, I would not hesitate to have my next injections even if I had another day of feeling poorly like I did this time.

I am relieved to hear that you are all feeling better today and thank you for the reassurance re the cortisol shots. I have only had them on my right hand before and I fainted as soon as I tried to stand up :oops: I am usually fine with needles, but for some reason that one made me all wobbly !!

Thank you Zoobec. I am feeling better today. When my bunnies need me I push forward to help them. Then, they return the favor by making me smile. Raven well, Gemini ready for his dental in morning, and Madelyn responding to motility meds.
I am glad that you and the bunnies are doing better, sending lots of vibes for Gemini for his dental xx

Raven is almost his normal self today. I did not have to give Critical Care last night or this morning since he is eating and drinking enough on his own.
I have deteriorated joints so I am getting the injections to delay major knee replacement surgery as long as possible. I can still do most activities that do not require a lot of impact on my knees; including walking, stairs, swimming, cleaning, etc. MM, I am not brave; just more afraid of major surgery than getting these shots; with or without temporary side effects. When I had other injections the doctor made a once made comment when I flinched that it was just the pen he was using to mark the injection site!

Well I guess as regards bravery, in the end I suppose we just have to do what we have to do.
Not pleasant though!!

I am so pleased to hear that Raven is eating and drinking on his own :)

Sending vibes for Gemini's dental

I am relieved to hear that you are all feeling better today and thank you for the reassurance re the cortisol shots. I have only had them on my right hand before and I fainted as soon as I tried to stand up :oops: I am usually fine with needles, but for some reason that one made me all wobbly !!
I read that cortisone shots feel worse in small areas like hands than in knees or shoulders.
Gemini home. He was just due for dental.Sharp points no tissue damage.

Well I guess as regards bravery, in the end I suppose we just have to do what we have to do.
Not pleasant though!!

I am so pleased to hear that Raven is eating and drinking on his own :)

Sending vibes for Gemini's dental
I wish it was always that easy to choose from two unpleasant options.

Gemini just got home. Vet said he was ready for dental ,yet no sores . He eating greens.

I read that cortisone shots feel worse in small areas like hands than in knees or shoulders.
Gemini home. He was just due for dental.Sharp points no tissue damage.

Hope Gemini's recovery is rapid and that all three Bunnies will let you catch a break from worrying about their health for a while xx

I wish it was always that easy to choose from two unpleasant options.

Gemini just got home. Vet said he was ready for dental ,yet no sores . He eating greens.

I hope Gemini recovers well from his dental and that you too can recover from your problems x

Gemini got fluids and higher dose of pain meds overnight,plus syringe feed.
I checked my records and he had to get more pain relief with prior dental also .
This time vets gave him strong pain shot right after dental.
He nibbled some greens and drank this morning,so I hope he will be feeling even better later.

Topping up the vibes for Gemini, it sounds like he is having the best of care as always :love:

Gemini got fluids and higher dose of pain meds overnight,plus syringe feed.
I checked my records and he had to get more pain relief with prior dental also .
This time vets gave him strong pain shot right after dental.
He nibbled some greens and drank this morning,so I hope he will be feeling even better later.

I agree with Zoobec, your rabbits get great care :)
Topping up the vibes x

Hello friends,

Thank you for your positive comments.
Gemini was looking more like himself when he got cleaned and spoiled last night. Even though he was looking and behaving more like himself and eating some pellets; as insurance I gave him critical care and fluids after midnight along with some Medicam. Overnight he ate all his greens and almost all of his overnight pellets. He was even nibbling on his hay.
Most of his poos are normal size and he is drinking water.
When I picked Gemini up from the vets on Monday, I was told he had Bupinex(?) pain shot. This would explain why he was doing better at the vets and when I picked him up than several hours later.
The last time he had a dental, Gemini did not get an injection at the vets; and neither did Raven last week. Last time Gemini had a dental and the time before he needed his Medicam calculated at the higher end of the dosage range for a couple days too; so I expect that will be the norm in the future.

As an update, Raven woke me up to get fresh pellets and more hay. I hope he can stay well and Gemini can continue to improve.

Jane, I think your time zone is about 5 hours ahead of New York State. It may be difficult to tell from my postings because I do not sleep well, especially when I worry or bunnies are ill and need overnight care.

Last edited:
Hello friends,

Thank you for your positive comments.
Gemini was looking more like himself when he got cleaned and spoiled last night. Even though he was looking and behaving more like himself and eating some pellets; as insurance I gave him critical care and fluids after midnight along with some Medicam. Overnight he ate all his greens and almost all of his overnight pellets. He was even nibbling on his hay.
Most of his poos are normal size and he is drinking water.
When I picked Gemini up from the vets on Monday, I was told he had Bupinex(?) pain shot. This would explain why he was doing better at the vets and when I picked him up than several hours later.
The last time he had a dental, Gemini did not get an injection at the vets; and neither did Raven last week. Last time Gemini had a dental and the time before he needed his Medicam calculated at the higher end of the dosage range for a couple days too; so I expect that will be the norm in the future.

As an update, Raven woke me up to get fresh pellets and more hay. I hope he can stay well and Gemini can continue to improve.

Good news :thumb: Looks like both your little ones are on the home straight :love:

Yesterday I was pleased that Raven and Gemini were doing well. Of course, Madelyn gave me a scare. She got fluids and motility meds almost 24 hours ago and she improved quickly. She may have improved without intervention; yet I am anxious after losing Evan in December. Madelyn is a lionhead and, even though she gets groomed at least daily, some days she makes fur connected by a few strands of long fur.
I sometimes think the bunnies made a pact to keep me on my toes or distract me from other things. Tonight all is well. I hope all is going well for all my RU friends and their furry friends too.

Back