• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Raven had another dental Jan 15 2019

bunny momma

Wise Old Thumper
When I opened a new box of hay last week, Raven was not eating as much hay as he was in the past. Even though the new and old batch of hay were both the same brand and looked similar and of good quality, I initially thought he just noticed a slight change in the taste of the hay. About a week ago he started taking the newspaper out of his litterbox and began shredding it and turning it into confetti. I do not think he was eating any. At that point he was still eating his pellets. On Friday he picked up his pellet bowl and tossed it upside down, an action he also did on Saturday. On Sunday the bunnies all had their litterboxes and surfaces cleaned of any calcium deposits and rinsed very well. Raven also got his nails trimmed. He was his normal self. However, he did not produce poos which was likely because he was not eating much. After getting some hugs and rubs he made poos even before I gave him Critical Care syringe feeding.
The vet schedule was full when I called for a dental (he had his last one about six months ago), yet they gave Raven a special lunchtime dental slot today. They cleaned up some minor points, no tissue damage yet. He is eating his greens and has some medicam.
Please send Raven some vibes that this was his only issue and he will return to his normal self very soon.

When I opened a new box of hay last week, Raven was not eating as much hay as he was in the past. Even though the new and old batch of hay were both the same brand and looked similar and of good quality, I initially thought he just noticed a slight change in the taste of the hay. About a week ago he started taking the newspaper out of his litterbox and began shredding it and turning it into confetti. I do not think he was eating any. At that point he was still eating his pellets. On Friday he picked up his pellet bowl and tossed it upside down, an action he also did on Saturday. On Sunday the bunnies all had their litterboxes and surfaces cleaned of any calcium deposits and rinsed very well. Raven also got his nails trimmed. He was his normal self. However, he did not produce poos which was likely because he was not eating much. After getting some hugs and rubs he made poos even before I gave him Critical Care syringe feeding.
The vet schedule was full when I called for a dental (he had his last one about six months ago), yet they gave Raven a special lunchtime dental slot today. They cleaned up some minor points, no tissue damage yet. He is eating his greens and has some medicam.
Please send Raven some vibes that this was his only issue and he will return to his normal self very soon.

I hope that little Raven makes a rapid recovery from his dental and that he'll soon be back to his normal eating pattern xx

Sending lots of vibes for Raven, I hope he makes a quick recovery from his dental xx

Sending loads of recovery vibes for Raven x

Thank you all. Raven is eating greens and nibbling hay and few pellets. He gets metacam and some critical care.
Good poo , although some bit smaller than usual,which likely due to his not eating lots of hay yet.
He is maintaining his weight .
Gemini is also getting fussy eating hay so he is getting dental monday while he is still eating greens and pellets.
I hope Raven will be recovered by then and Gemini will bounce back from his dental quickly

Last edited:
Thank you all. Raven is eating greens and nibbling hay and few pellets. He gets metacam and some critical care.
Good poo , although some bit smaller than usual,which likely due to his not eating lots of hay yet.
Gemini is also getting fussy eating hay so he is getting dental monday while he is still eating greens and pellets.
I hope Raven will be recovered by then and Gemini will bounce back from his dental quickly

Oh goodness, sorry to hear that Gemini needs a Dental now too. Is he related to Raven ?

I hope that Raven will soon be eating his usual amount of hay again and that Gemini's Dental goes well. With everything else you have to cope with regarding your family you must be feeling very stressed by now. Dont forget to look after yourself too xx

Vibes that Raven gets his eating back to normal very soon, and I am sorry to hear that Gemini needs a dental now :(

I hope you are holding up OK with all that's going on for you?

I really hope Raven is back to normal soon, and that Gemini’s dental goes smoothly. Sending lots more vibes and hugs xx

Oh goodness, sorry to hear that Gemini needs a Dental now too. Is he related to Raven ?

I hope that Raven will soon be eating his usual amount of hay again and that Gemini's Dental goes well. With everything else you have to cope with regarding your family you must be feeling very stressed by now. Dont forget to look after yourself too xx
They are not related. Gemini and Raven got a new bag of pellets (same brand and type) yesterday. Raven and Gemini were both enjoying them. However, this morning I found Gemini passed a lot of soft poo that was stuck to him. It was quite smelly. He made some regular round poos too. After I got his area cleaned nicely, I waited to see if he would clean himself. He didn't (I don't blame him) so I had to give him a rinse in lukewarm water, nothing else, before it dried too much to remove it easily or before it irritated his skin. He is back to making nice poos.

Yesterday I got a cortisone shot in both knees. I had three or four injections in the past two years and never had a reaction. Last night I got an awful headache, dizziness, and facial flushing which I suspect could be from the injections. I was awake most of the night as the only thing that helped briefly was using ice packs. Today my face was flushed, yet my headache was improved and I was not dizzy.

Overnight and this afternoon I noticed that Madelyn may be having issues passing poos. After her issues earlier this month, Madelyn was eating, pooing, and drinking well. She was still eating her pellets and greens and some hay; yet taking a long time to produce fresh poos. I gave her motility meds and we got results in half an hour. Some of her poos had fur so I think it could be related to her shedding along with her being a bunny who is content to relax and enjoy the good life. She likes to sit on my lap and get lots of grooming so I cannot figure out how she can still have fur in her poos.

Last edited:
Vibes that Raven gets his eating back to normal very soon, and I am sorry to hear that Gemini needs a dental now :(

I hope you are holding up OK with all that's going on for you?

Hi MM,

Raven improved since yesterday. He only got critical care once today since he seems to be eating more. He is still not back to eating his usual amount of hay and pellets, yet much improved. He is also eating greens quickly. Please see my long response to Jane on how I am holding up. I appreciate your concern.

I really hope Raven is back to normal soon, and that Gemini’s dental goes smoothly. Sending lots more vibes and hugs xx

Thank you. Raven continues to improve so I am hopeful I will be able to discontinue syringe feedings before Gemini's dental.

They are not related. Gemini and Raven got a new bag of pellets (same brand and type) yesterday. Raven and Gemini were both enjoying them. However, this morning I found Gemini passed a lot of soft poo that was stuck to him. It was quite smelly. He made some regular round poos too. After I got his area cleaned nicely, I waited to see if he would clean himself. He didn't (I don't blame him) so I had to give him a rinse in lukewarm water, nothing else, before it dried too much to remove it easily or before it irritated his skin. He is back to making nice poos.

Yesterday I got a cortisone shot in both knees. I had three or four injections in the past two years and never had a reaction. Last night I got an awful headache, dizziness, and facial flushing which I suspect could be from the injections. I was awake most of the night as the only thing that helped briefly was using ice packs. Today my face was flushed, yet my headache was improved and I was not dizzy.

Overnight and this afternoon I noticed that Madelyn may be having issues passing poos. After her issues earlier this month, Madelyn was eating, pooing, and drinking well. She was still eating her pellets and greens and some hay; yet taking a long time to produce fresh poos. I gave her motility meds and we got results in half an hour. Some of her poos had fur so I think it could be related to her shedding along with her being a bunny who is content to relax and enjoy the good life. She likes to sit on my lap and get lots of grooming so I cannot figure out how she can still have fur in her poos.

I hope that both Gemini and Madelyn are doing OK now, Raven too. All three of them are certainly testing your stress tolerance at the moment aren't they !

I cringed at the thought of having cortisone shots in both knees. I was supposed to have that done a couple of weeks ago but I was not well enough. To be honest I was not sorry to have not had them. I know they can help with the severe pain for a while, but they are acutely painful to have and as you found out the side effects can be nasty. Anyway, I hope they bring you some respite from the chronic pain.

Sending vibes to all of you :love:

Gosh, you are really going through a lot at the moment. Your bunnies are lucky that you are so responsive to their needs :love:sending lots of vibes and hugs xx

Hi MM,

Raven improved since yesterday. He only got critical care once today since he seems to be eating more. He is still not back to eating his usual amount of hay and pellets, yet much improved. He is also eating greens quickly. Please see my long response to Jane on how I am holding up. I appreciate your concern.

I am glad to ear that Raven improved. At least some good news but not quite enough improvement yet!

Now Gemini and Madelyn giving cause for concern, and I am sorry to read about your knees. I had a very bad knee injury and was offered an injection (not steroid) as it wasn't improving, but i couldn't bar the thought of it.

You are very brave but I am sorry it affected you adversely.

I hope that both Gemini and Madelyn are doing OK now, Raven too. All three of them are certainly testing your stress tolerance at the moment aren't they !

I cringed at the thought of having cortisone shots in both knees. I was supposed to have that done a couple of weeks ago but I was not well enough. To be honest I was not sorry to have not had them. I know they can help with the severe pain for a while, but they are acutely painful to have and as you found out the side effects can be nasty. Anyway, I hope they bring you some respite from the chronic pain.

Sending vibes to all of you :love:

Hi Jane,

I am feeling much better today, as are the bunnies. Raven is enjoying his greens, pellets and some hay. Gemini has not had any more pasty poo, is eating his pellets and greens; although he is not eating much hay. I am glad he is healthy for his dental in the morning. Madelyn passed several rosary strands of fur laced poo so I am continuing her on motility meds. I may begin her on fluids today because she is drinking less than she should at the moment. She is still producing pee so she may just be getting moisture from the extra greens she is getting. However, I would rather be safe.

Jane, I do not like shots. However, the doctor will either freeze or numb the area of the injection--plus it only takes a few seconds on each knee to get the injection. The doctor can even mix some numbing medication with the cortisone so you can have several hours pain free. My doctor has me ice the injection sites for a couple days. Even though I had what may have been a side effect with the headache, facial flushing, and dizziness; I am now fine. This is the first time I felt this poorly after an injection so it may not be related. . However, if the cortisone works for as many months as last time to reduce inflammation and discomfort in my knees, I would not hesitate to have my next injections even if I had another day of feeling poorly like I did this time.

Thinking of you and sending lots of vibes for you all.

Raven is much improved, Gemini has not had another incident of pasty poo so he is ready for his dental tomorrow, Madelyn is passing more fur in her poo so I know med is working. I am doing better today too.

Gosh, you are really going through a lot at the moment. Your bunnies are lucky that you are so responsive to their needs :love:sending lots of vibes and hugs xx

Thank you Zoobec. I am feeling better today. When my bunnies need me I push forward to help them. Then, they return the favor by making me smile. Raven well, Gemini ready for his dental in morning, and Madelyn responding to motility meds.

Back