• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Gone off food, unusual poo

chezza145

Young Bun
Fluffy is an almost 6yr old rescue - I’ve had her almost 2 years and in that time she’s been absolutely fine. A month or so ago, she went off her food for a couple of days. She was still eating and drinking but not as much. I took her to the vet and they said she seemed fine. They said she had some small spurs on her molars but nothing that would cause problems. Then, all of a sudden she started eating again and has been fine since. Until yesterday that is.......

She’s gone off her food again - both pellets and greens and has hardly eaten anything. I gave her some apple earlier and she ate that, and has also had a small piece of carrot. She never eats hay (I’ve tried all sorts. She was in the rescue for 2 yrs and they couldn’t get her to eat it either). Although she never eats it I always give her fresh and hide treats in it in the hope some hay might accidentally fall in [emoji849][emoji85]). She used to go mad for her pellets but now she’s not bothered. Every evening she gets to pick something out of the veg box before I put food in her bowl, but she hasn’t done that tonight either and hasn’t touched her pellets. She is moulting a lot and I’ve heard that sometimes it can affect a rabbits appetite?

Her poo has been hard and small today but then I had to bring her in tonight and clean up sticky poo that was stuck on her bottom. She’s usually always clean.

Otherwise she seems ok. I was cleaning out the piggies earlier and she was having a good nosy around. I went out to check on her before and she was sleeping on her side (she flops and lays there for ages) so I don’t think she’s in any great distress but then we all know how quickly these buns can deteriorate.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has she eaten any of the treated hay you talked about on your other thread? I would worry that that might have upset her stomach. If she has spurs that may be the cause too, in a month a lot can change with their teeth. Frosty one of my bunnies has had 2 dentals so far, the second one the spurs didn’t seem bad but when he was under GA and they could see to the back of his mouth he had huge ulcers on either side of his tongue :cry:

I would advise getting her to the vets ASAP as a matter of urgency. Sending lots of vibes for her.

Has she eaten any of the treated hay you talked about on your other thread? I would worry that that might have upset her stomach. If she has spurs that may be the cause too, in a month a lot can change with their teeth. Frosty one of my bunnies has had 2 dentals so far, the second one the spurs didn’t seem bad but when he was under GA and they could see to the back of his mouth he had huge ulcers on either side of his tongue :cry:

I would advise getting her to the vets ASAP as a matter of urgency. Sending lots of vibes for her.

Thanks Zoobec. She didn’t eat any of the hay - I took it out and replaced it. I’m going to ring the vets first thing. My rainbow bun Stella, had numerous dentals, eventually ending in extracted teeth and abscesses.

Saying all that, I’ve just been out to check on her and she’s eaten most of her veg [emoji85]

I have two dental bunnies and even small spurs can cause them enough discomfort that they stop eating. Is your bunny drinking enough water to keep her gut contents hydrated?

I have two dental bunnies and even small spurs can cause them enough discomfort that they stop eating. Is your bunny drinking enough water to keep her gut contents hydrated?

She hadn’t been but I checked on her again before I went to bed last night and she has eaten most of her veg and pellets and drank some water.

Can you give her grass instead of hay? Also, if she is moulting wet the veg before you give it to her and this will help to push the food through. How many pellets do you give her?

Can you give her grass instead of hay? Also, if she is moulting wet the veg before you give it to her and this will help to push the food through. How many pellets do you give her?

I took her to the vet this morning. She ate overnight but was dropping food while eating this morning. The vet can’t see anything wrong with her teeth. Said it could be the moulting and just to keep an eye on her. She only gets a small amount of pellets. The vet said to cut down on her veg and hopefully she’ll eat hay. I’ve tried everything before though [emoji30]

I took her to the vet this morning. She ate overnight but was dropping food while eating this morning. The vet can’t see anything wrong with her teeth. Said it could be the moulting and just to keep an eye on her. She only gets a small amount of pellets. The vet said to cut down on her veg and hopefully she’ll eat hay. I’ve tried everything before though [emoji30]

Showing interest in food but dropping it is a classic dental sign I'm afraid. There is only so much a vet can see through physical conscious exam so its impossible to rule out dental probs this way. I'd be reluctant to cut down on her veg - she needs to eat & hay may be too difficult for her with whatevers going on. I think she may need a second opinion :(

Do you know if you have a Rabbit Savvy Vet? If you start a new thread asking for vet recommendations and state the area where you live, someone will advise you.

Showing interest in food but dropping it is a classic dental sign I'm afraid. There is only so much a vet can see through physical conscious exam so its impossible to rule out dental probs this way. I'd be reluctant to cut down on her veg - she needs to eat & hay may be too difficult for her with whatevers going on. I think she may need a second opinion :(

I agree with all of this :thumb:

Do you know if you have a Rabbit Savvy Vet? If you start a new thread asking for vet recommendations and state the area where you live, someone will advise you.

He is a rabbit savvy vet apparently. He gave her a thorough check and spent ages looking in her mouth. She did eat all her food last night but I know how quickly things can change

Back