• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Strange reaction to metacam - sounds like about to be sick!

Beatrix Potter

Mama Doe
Ok this is a strange one :roll:

Spudsey is on metacam as she's nearly 12 and possibly has a little bit of arthritis in her back legs, she has been prescribed 0.3 twice a day, but I only give her it once a day as I don't think she needs it twice daily.

She absolutely adores it and almost hangs off the syringe when I give her it, but a couple of months ago she took it and made some strange noises like she was going to throw up. I took her to my vet and the only thing my vet could think of was that she may have a stomach ulcer, so she was treated with a minty med which I can't recall the name of.

All ok for a while but she has done it a couple of times since, I thought the first time perhaps she took it too fast or I gave it too fast and it went down the wrong hole (like with humans), but it seems odd its happened more than once. I've stopped giving it this week as its concerning me, but also its very strange, she doesn't appear to make these odd sounds at any other time.

Any ideas? Its like she's suddenly decided that what she has taken is really disgusting!

Ok this is a strange one :roll:

Spudsey is on metacam as she's nearly 12 and possibly has a little bit of arthritis in her back legs, she has been prescribed 0.3 twice a day, but I only give her it once a day as I don't think she needs it twice daily.

She absolutely adores it and almost hangs off the syringe when I give her it, but a couple of months ago she took it and made some strange noises like she was going to throw up. I took her to my vet and the only thing my vet could think of was that she may have a stomach ulcer, so she was treated with a minty med which I can't recall the name of.

All ok for a while but she has done it a couple of times since, I thought the first time perhaps she took it too fast or I gave it too fast and it went down the wrong hole (like with humans), but it seems odd its happened more than once. I've stopped giving it this week as its concerning me, but also its very strange, she doesn't appear to make these odd sounds at any other time.

Any ideas? Its like she's suddenly decided that what she has taken is really disgusting!

It could be that she just happened to gulp it down too fast on the few occasions she made the odd noises. However, as she apparently stopped making them when also given Ranitidine (the minty anti gi tract ulcer med AKA 'Zantac') personally I'd ask the Vet for her to be prescribed that again, possibly long term, to be given alongside the Metacam. I would not want to stop giving Metacam to a Rabbit with arthritis. If their pain increases then secondary gut hypomotility/gut stasis could become a secondary issue.

I have an arthritic Rabbit who is on daily Metacam and Ranitidine and he has been for a considerable length of time.

In short I'd discuss it all with the Vet again and ask about your Bunny having some Ranitidine as well as the Metacam :)

Thanks :) Yes Rantidine is the stuff, couldn't remember what it was called. I didn't realise that could be used long term, I'll make another appointment with the vet tomorrow (there with the cat!).
Thank you Jane :)

Hi Jane
My vet kindly prescribed Spudsey some more Ranitidine without seeing her as she had only seen her 2-3 months ago and said she was a picture of health, especially given that she is almost 12! Have given her 0.2ml with her metacam each day, but the bottle says give for 5 days so I need to have another chat with my vet to see how best to manage this. She's not had any more reactions to the metacam.
Out of interest how much do you give your rabbit each day?

Hi Jane
My vet kindly prescribed Spudsey some more Ranitidine without seeing her as she had only seen her 2-3 months ago and said she was a picture of health, especially given that she is almost 12! Have given her 0.2ml with her metacam each day, but the bottle says give for 5 days so I need to have another chat with my vet to see how best to manage this. She's not had any more reactions to the metacam.
Out of interest how much do you give your rabbit each day?

The usual dose rate of Ranitidine can be found here :

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00Chem/ChComplex/Ranitidine.htm

I have had Rabbits who have remained on it long term as they were also on long term Metacam at a relatively high dose. Some were also on Tramadol. None of the Rabbits had any adverse reaction to the long term use of Ranitidine. But it is the Vet treating the specific Rabbit who is best qualified to prescribe a specific dose and to decide how long the Rabbit should remain on it :)

I am glad to hear that Spudsey has not had any more 'coughing' episodes xx

Hi Jane
My vet has suggested I see how Spudsey is having metacam every other day and give the zantac either 5 days at a time at 0.2 if she has an acid reflux or every day if required. to be honest she was given metacam as the vet thought she might have a bit of arthritis in her back legs but she doesn't look like she's got any mobility issues at all to me, she still manages to jump up on her hop in box quite easily! :)

I'm no expert, but I always give it after so they have a full stomach. I dont' know if it makes a difference. I've had no problems so far.
Hope she feels better

I'm no expert, but I always give it after so they have a full stomach. I dont' know if it makes a difference. I've had no problems so far.
Hope she feels better
Thanks, it is certainly worth a shot [emoji3526]

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Back