• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Treated Hay????

chezza145

Young Bun
Can someone explain to me what is treated hay? I’ve been poorly this week so my parents went to their local pet shop and got me some hay for my bunny and piggies and it says ‘treated’ on the bag.

I don’t think the hay I usually get is treated - it’s definitely unmedicated. Is this the same thing? And which is best to feed?

Thanks
Cheryl
(And Fluffy [emoji195], Tom and Jerry [emoji194][emoji194])

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't like the sound of it at all. It seems to be something to do with hay for horses and it is sprayed with a preservative. I wouldn't feed it to rabbits or piggies.

I don't like the sound of it at all. It seems to be something to do with hay for horses and it is sprayed with a preservative. I wouldn't feed it to rabbits.

It’s got pictures of rabbits and guinea pigs on the bag. I’ve never seen it before!

It’s got pictures of rabbits and guinea pigs on the bag. I’ve never seen it before!

I can only give my opinion based on Google, as I'd never heard of it. Does it have any info on the bag? Just the thought of spraying hay with any chemicals, which treated hay has been, sounds alarm bells with me. Perhaps someone will come along with a bit more information.

I can only give my opinion based on Google, as I'd never heard of it. Does it have any info on the bag? Just the thought of spraying hay with any chemicals, which treated hay has been, sounds alarm bells with me. Perhaps someone will come along with a bit more information.

I’ve googled it and can’t find what it’s treated with. Panic over though - I’m getting a lift to pets at home to get some!

Can someone explain to me what is treated hay? I’ve been poorly this week so my parents went to their local pet shop and got me some hay for my bunny and piggies and it says ‘treated’ on the bag.

I don’t think the hay I usually get is treated - it’s definitely unmedicated. Is this the same thing? And which is best to feed?

Thanks
Cheryl

Welcome to the forum :wave:

Ring up the company on the bag and ask them :)

I am going to ring them today and check. They’d already closed yesterday. I’ve changed the hay anyway [emoji16]

Yes I read you had changed the hay.
No point in wasting the old stuff though, if you don't have to! :)

Thanks
Cheryl

1st hit here

Treated hay is the name used when a commercially available preservative product is applied to hay. These products are often used on hays between 15-30% moisture and are sprayed on the hay during the baling process

i'd never heard of doing this before - i guess it's to help the suppliers to stop it going off.
i wouldn't feed it.

Thanks everyone. I’m still waiting to see what they say about what/how it’s treated. They’re supposed to be calling me back tomorrow so I’ll update then x

Back