• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dennis has arthritis?

Thank you very much Jane. Does arthritis hurt all the time or only when they move. Or is It flare ups of constant pain? That's a good idea about the raditine I will definitely also ask for that if Dennis goes long term metacam xx

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I can only speak for myself with Arthritis of the hip joints, but think it will be similar for rabbits. It is mostly when you move, as you are then moving bone against bone within the joint, without the cushion of the cartilage in between because that has been worn away. However, it also causes pain when you are sitting or lying down for the same reason i.e. bone pressing against bone.

I can only speak for myself with Arthritis of the hip joints, but think it will be similar for rabbits. It is mostly when you move, as you are then moving bone against bone within the joint, without the cushion of the cartilage in between because that has been worn away. However, it also causes pain when you are sitting or lying down for the same reason i.e. bone pressing against bone.

Yes I agree. I also find that there are times when the pain is more severe, but it does then settle down again. I certainly have more pain during the cold weather. I find that it is important to try to keep as mobile as possible as if I dont I become more stiff and also muscle wastage can occur.

Swimming can be a good form of physiotherapy, but IMO it is not suitable for Rabbits ( and I would not dare be seen at a public swimming pool these days !)

The section on massage on the disabled rabbit website is a nice read & quite encouraging.

Mouse has been enjoying little massages from BOb the past few days. She is so sweet, keeps licking the blankey (I assume that means he's doing it right). She won't lick the blankey for me :( Is Denny hands on or off? Not that I think thats necessarily a barrier

The section on massage on the disabled rabbit website is a nice read & quite encouraging.

Mouse has been enjoying little massages from BOb the past few days.
She is so sweet, keeps licking the blankey (I assume that means he's doing it right). She won't lick the blankey for me :( Is Denny hands on or off? Not that I think thats necessarily a barrier

Awwwwww bless :love:

Mouse has been enjoying little massages from BOb the past few days. She is so sweet, keeps licking the blankey (I assume that means he's doing it right). She won't lick the blankey for me :( Is Denny hands on or off? Not that I think thats necessarily a barrier
Dennis is a very handley bun thankfully so massages will be a nice treat for him. I'm glad it's working for Mousey

Update about Denny Boy

He's back hoping again after I have covered the floor with hay. I've not yet managed to get a joint tab in him yet though. I'm wondering I've maybe I could try grating it on his forage this time. But he's doing much better on the hay carpet

Syrup likes the hay carpet too
82acda2c779a548a4e4bfb01718cf50e.jpg
c46eb7cf0577467ed07623c7cad21337.jpg

I have had to keep a walk way clear as I wouldn't want my hooman trotters contaminating their hay. Although I do have designated bunny room slippers (which Dennis likes to tug at when I'm too slow preparing noms)

I'm pleased that the hay carpet meets with their approval. They certainly both look very content.

Do you find that they poo and wee on it though? I had got to the stage when the shed was pretty much covered in hay. However, when my OH was looking after them recently after my accident, he didn't approve of them using the floor like an enlarged comfy litter tray, so their hay has been cut back a bit. We now have islands of hay with lino inbetween, which surprisingly seems to work so far :lol:

I've never had much success with them, but have you tried the metal tablet dispensers, where you open the rabbit's mouth and release the tablet at the back?

I'm pleased that the hay carpet meets with their approval. They certainly both look very content.

Do you find that they poo and wee on it though? I had got to the stage when the shed was pretty much covered in hay. However, when my OH was looking after them recently after my accident, he didn't approve of them using the floor like an enlarged comfy litter tray, so their hay has been cut back a bit. We now have islands of hay with lino inbetween, which surprisingly seems to work so far [emoji38]

I've never had much success with them, but have you tried the metal tablet dispensers, where you open the rabbit's mouth and release the tablet at the back?

No thankfully they only use the dog bed and the hay trailer! I'm. Not sure what I would do if they started peeing on it

No I've never even heard about those dispensers - I will have to research this.

Omi i sent you an email yesterday afternoon and I looked in my sent box and it wasn't there so not sure if it actually sent or not

No thankfully they only use the dog bed and the hay trailer! I'm. Not sure what I would do if they started peeing on it

No I've never even heard about those dispensers - I will have to research this.

Omi i sent you an email yesterday afternoon and I looked in my sent box and it wasn't there so not sure if it actually sent or not

The pill dispenser I have is like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Buster-Tablet-Introducer-Giver-Classic/dp/B004ZCHVUQ It's what my vet used when giving one of them Cisipride. As I said though, I didn't find it successful, but none of my rabbits are very good at being handled let alone having their mouth prised open :lol:

No, I haven't received any email from you :?

The pill dispenser I have is like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Buster-Tablet-Introducer-Giver-Classic/dp/B004ZCHVUQ It's what my vet used when giving one of them Cisipride. As I said though, I didn't find it successful, but none of my rabbits are very good at being handled let alone having their mouth prised open [emoji38]

No, I haven't received any email from you :?
Oh I'm sorry omi it was a lengthy email and I can't be arsed to compose it again but I was just updating you of fun day with the buns and Dennis which I have covered here xx

P.s don't think Dennis will appreciate that pill launcher

Oh I'm sorry omi it was a lengthy email and I can't be arsed to compose it again but I was just updating you of fun day with the buns and Dennis which I have covered here xx

P.s don't think Dennis will appreciate that pill launcher

That's fine :) I hate having to write things out again as well.

Back