• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My bonded pair are fighting- help please!!

New bunnies

Young Bun
Hi everyone, we have 2 mini lops male & female bonded by the breeder at about 10 & 14 weeks. They’re now 6 months (doe) and 7 months (buck). He was neutered before he left the breeder at about 12 weeks, she’s still to be spayed, she’s only little & vet suggested we wait. Last night they seem to have had a fight, no injuries but a bit of doe’s fur pulled out. Seems she’s trying to mount him & he then chases her & pulls fur. What do we do?!

When did the vet last check your girl to see if she could be spayed? Sadly it’s probably hormones kicking in so things are unlikely to change and will probably get worse until she is spayed. They will need to be watched very carefully and if fighting is about to break out I would suggest separating until she is spayed, and you can try to rebond in a neutral place after that. Ideally if you can get her spayed by a rabbit savvy vet ASAP you may avoid separating, unless fighting occurs.

She’s a minx, thanks both that is totally what I thought! They’re indoor rabbits so was really hoping to avoid separating if possible from a space point of view. Was never told this might happen by breeder or would have pushed for spay earlier...Vets have said earliest can spay is Thursday!! That’s going to be too late isn’t it?!

are you able to keep a good eye on them all the time? if so, i would perhaps see how it goes.
if not, i would unfortunately have to seperate them i think, just in case of injury.

the 1st 2 buns i had were unspayed females. they got along really well but i would occassionally go out to masses of fur in the garden, then one day i saw an actual fight!

Thanks Mikek, I sadly have to go to work so have separated them as they were circling like mad & she is chinning everything & won’t leave him alone. They can see each other though so hopefully just two or three days with swapping enclosures (breeder advice) won’t be too hard to rebond???!

Back