• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Refuses Hay

HowardMark

New Kit
I have rescued a rabbit a week ago who was found in a park. He is slightly under weight has been to the vet and vaccinated and teeth checked. He has a appetite for carrot broccoli rabbit muesli which is not good I know and pellets. I have provided plenty of hay Timothy etc but he is not interested. Anyone got any ideas? Also his pee is a sandy coloured sludge which concerns me. He is about 6 years

Have you tried him with fresh grass instead of hay? Dandelions and bramble leaves also tend to go down well and should be available to forage at the moment. Brambles have leaves all year, so it's just a matter of finding some on waste ground (with a stout bag and scissors to avoid the thorns). There are dandelions flowering here at the moment. You could also try cabbage and fresh herbs, which are available in supermarkets. Make sure he has access to fresh water - a (heavy ceramic) bowl is better than a bottle as he will drink more, and this will help to clear the sludge. He also needs room to run around, and to encourage him to eat and drink more.

Well done for rescuing him and getting him checked over and vaccinated. I hope you have many happy years together.

Hello, and welcome to the forum :wave: well done for rescuing bunny :love: you might find he will eat other hays, it’s a case of trial and error sometimes to find ones they like. He might like forage as Shimmer has said. Sprinkling grated carrot through the hay might help.

My bunnies like natures own sweet green hay and 5 a day hay (you can buy the 5 a day hay in the range) they like Timothy hay from Timothy hay.co.uk too, they send out samples, you can also get samples from the hay experts.

Readigrass might go down well too :thumb:

Good news he is eating the hay cookies as advised by someone and grated carrot. I got him a deeper forage tub which he likes when I scatter various bits of food. His paws are always discoloured he is white so I guess he needs these bathing in shallow water a couple times a week?

I think its important to try various different types and brands of hay and make hay as interesting as you can. What else are you feeding n what quantities?
If you're concerned about urinary sludge I'd recommend you speak to a RWAF recommended vet or an exotics vet.

The Rabbit has his teeth filed down by the vet which was the problem why he was not eating hardly. Since his teeth repair he eats most things and a bit of hay too so making good progress. But he is constantly on heat and wants to mate on my arm but he is about 6/7 years is he too old to be neutered?

At six and beyond the risk of complications are extremely high. So he is too old to be neutered with min. risk. I don't know any/many vets who would be willing to do it. A friend of mine in a similar situation ended up buying a rabbit plushie for her unfixed boy. Not an elegant solution but it ah kept him occupied.

If you can find, or have, a Rabbit savvy Vet then 6 is not too old for him to be neutered. He could live for another 4 or more years. His diet should consist of mainly hay, about 1-2 tbsps. of pellets and a small amount of forage, veg or herbs. You may have to keep on with the Muesli for now unless he will also eat pellets in which case you can give both until you feel he is ready to just eat the pellets. Rabbits don't need fruit as it is high in sugar as is carrot but a tiny piece now and then won't harm him. If you put some hay in a litter tray he might take to that well as rabbits like to chew while they do their toilet. Has he had both vaccinations?

If you can find, or have, a Rabbit savvy Vet then 6 is not too old for him to be neutered. He could live for another 4 or more years. His diet should consist of mainly hay, about 1-2 tbsps. of pellets and a small amount of forage, veg or herbs. You may have to keep on with the Muesli for now unless he will also eat pellets in which case you can give both until you feel he is ready to just eat the pellets. Rabbits don't need fruit as it is high in sugar as is carrot but a tiny piece now and then won't harm him. If you put some hay in a litter tray he might take to that well as rabbits like to chew while they do their toilet. Has he had both vaccinations?
I agree with this:thumb:

congrats on rescuing the little one!! :love:

also agree with tonibun. if bun is otherwise in fit and in fighting condition then I would say they're never too old to be neutered. buns have been know to live for 8, 10, 12 years even so he could have a lot of fight left in him, which could be destructive as I've known neutered males to shred anything :lol: along with the litter training being 10x harder, and finding him a friend would be difficult. buns really need to live in pairs and as he could live on for much longer, a friend could/would be nice for him.

if you're in the UK, the RWAF record of all of the vets they recommend: https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-care-advice/rabbit-friendly-vets/rabbit-friendly-vet-list/

its down to you, and your trusted vet. but I do think he could be done, and I do think it would be beneficial for him and for you, and then he can live out the rest of his life hormone free and possibly with a friend ;)

you might be up against the tide as good eating habits are formed at a young age. however its not impossible. usually I'd always suggest cutting back mostly everything else and just giving them hay, they're not silly and will not starve themselves. I know it sounds "cruel", but eating hay is far more important. also mixing up times you give pellet or veggies would help, as some rabbits try to "hold out" until they know when their next meal is coming.

all the hay here I would also recommend, timothyhay.co.uk, hayandstraw.co.uk, natures own & hay for horses. you can buy it in bulk/bigger bags which always works out better than the piddly little bags in PAH :)

Thanks for replies. Yes he's had his vaccinations both of them. He likes kale and spring greens. Baby sweet corn. The science pellets and muesli too. He does nibble hay and I do hide pellets muesli under his hay so whilst he forages he nibbles hay too.

Thanks for replies. Yes he's had his vaccinations both of them. He likes kale and spring greens. Baby sweet corn. The science pellets and muesli too. He does nibble hay and I do hide pellets muesli under his hay so whilst he forages he nibbles hay too.

Back