Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rabbit smells when humping

Default Rabbit smells when humping

Recently our rabbits have started sleeping in our bedroom, and a few times in the night, our neutered male Billy tries to hump Poppy. I've noticed that when he does, there's a strong whiff from his scent glands.

I'd noticed that scent glands smell before, so I cleaned them out last month, but they were nice and clean anyway.

Is it normal for a neutered male to be releasing scent like this? I've only been able to find reference to it in un-neutered.

I’ve not experienced this, I’m bumping up for you

Binky free at the bridge Boots, you will never be forgotten xxxx

No sorry, only experienced that with an unspayed doe when she thumped...

Yeah, I could only find one other person referencing it, but only in an un-neutered bun It's very strong - I can smell it from under the bed.

When I think about it, every other time I've smelled his scent glands, it's been when I've been pulling him off Poppy, but it explains why the smell hasn't been constant. Although he did it at the vets too.

Hello.
    Both of my male rabbits are neutered. Every now and then they have a bit of a falling out, raise tails and produce a scent that smells a bit like a struck match.
    They're both healthy, having had recent health checks and have done this for as long as they have lived with us (so 3+ years).
    Is this what you're experiencing with your rabbit?

Quote Originally Posted by Sarahbun View Post
    Hello.
    Both of my male rabbits are neutered. Every now and then they have a bit of a falling out, raise tails and produce a scent that smells a bit like a struck match.
    They're both healthy, having had recent health checks and have done this for as long as they have lived with us (so 3+ years).
    Is this what you're experiencing with your rabbit?
    I suppose it's similar. It smells like bad coffee. It's definitely from his anal glands.

It's only started recently (3 months), but we've had him for 3.5 years. He was neutered just after we got him.

I can't think of anything that's changed to prompt it.

Quote Originally Posted by MiniC View Post
    I suppose it's similar. It smells like bad coffee. It's definitely from his anal glands.

It's only started recently (3 months), but we've had him for 3.5 years. He was neutered just after we got him.

I can't think of anything that's changed to prompt it.
    That's what my female smelt like was god awful

i feel sick
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Quote Originally Posted by Graciee View Post
    That's what my female smelt like was god awful
    Yeah, it's pretty bad! I mean, I could smell him from under the bed! Had to bury the nose under the duvet and hope the OH hadn't been eating beans for tea

Quote Originally Posted by MiniC View Post
    Yeah, it's pretty bad! I mean, I could smell him from under the bed! Had to bury the nose under the duvet and hope the OH hadn't been eating beans for tea
    Yea... My bun made the smell when she thumped.. She only thumped to get attention then she'd make a little noise.. Like a grunt..? Then it would stop when you gave her what she wanted.. But the smell was horrendous it got a lot better after she was spayed though.. She still thumped when she wanted pets.. But the smell never happened.. But strange bad smelling coffee was definitely how it smelt, use to make me feel physically sick