• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

U/D Vibes for Henry please -New 6th FebU/D after vet

Update on Henry. Sorry, didn't want to be over-updating and wanted to try to get a balance. Thank you to you all for asking so here's where we are at:
Henry's definitely not himself. Very sullen and quiet and not inclined to do much. But I suppose if your paw is really sore, you won't want to belt round the room. He is eating but can't tell how much. He'll happily scoff cranberries but not sure what in the way of greens he is eating. He is pooping and I'm fairly sure of that and I recon the meta calm is making his poops a bit clumpy (apologies to anyone eating). I caught him having a breakfast dump this morning before I cleaned them out. Henry did come into the living room and hopped/ran round his usual route near the settee before settling under the table with the floof monster but he's not being inquisitive to go upstairs or go through the kitchen. He sits with his left paw up - keeping it off the floor but will loaf of bread when relaxing. He sat on my tummy for about an hour last night getting stroked which is about 55 minutes more than he would on a good day. And getting meta calm into him is like trying to put an octopus in a string bag. He doesn't like taking medicine!
I feel bad for him because this isn't Henry. He's hurting and I wish I could do more to help. He's always fussing about and exploring and it's sad to see him just sitting and watching. I still feel like I let him down but hope to see signs of improvement over the weekend.
Thank you all so much again for following and for your continued support.
Craig

Update on Henry. Sorry, didn't want to be over-updating and wanted to try to get a balance. Thank you to you all for asking so here's where we are at:
Henry's definitely not himself. Very sullen and quiet and not inclined to do much. But I suppose if your paw is really sore, you won't want to belt round the room. He is eating but can't tell how much. He'll happily scoff cranberries but not sure what in the way of greens he is eating. He is pooping and I'm fairly sure of that and I recon the meta calm is making his poops a bit clumpy (apologies to anyone eating). I caught him having a breakfast dump this morning before I cleaned them out. Henry did come into the living room and hopped/ran round his usual route near the settee before settling under the table with the floof monster but he's not being inquisitive to go upstairs or go through the kitchen. He sits with his left paw up - keeping it off the floor but will loaf of bread when relaxing. He sat on my tummy for about an hour last night getting stroked which is about 55 minutes more than he would on a good day. And getting meta calm into him is like trying to put an octopus in a string bag. He doesn't like taking medicine!
I feel bad for him because this isn't Henry. He's hurting and I wish I could do more to help. He's always fussing about and exploring and it's sad to see him just sitting and watching. I still feel like I let him down but hope to see signs of improvement over the weekend.
Craig
Poor Henry :( I really hope he starts to feel more Henry like soon xx

Craig

Getting metacam into Frosty is a similar battle, until I discovered he would eat it mixed in with some apple, carrot and parsnip baby food, I bought various flavours from Aldi in pouches and he liked that one but not other ones. Is he on metacam twice a day? My rabbit savvy vet prescribed it twice a day as they metabolise it quickly so it gives better cover twice a day. I would ask if you can increase the dosage in case your vet has been conservative with the dosage.

Have they prescribed any gut meds at all?

You most definitely have not failed him, I assure you of that.

Craig

What a conundrum Craig.

Are you managing tp successfully limit his activity?

Getting metacam into Frosty is a similar battle, until I discovered he would eat it mixed in with some apple, carrot and parsnip baby food, I bought various flavours from Aldi in pouches and he liked that one but not other ones. Is he on metacam twice a day? My rabbit savvy vet prescribed it twice a day as they metabolise it quickly so it gives better cover twice a day. I would ask if you can increase the dosage in case your vet has been conservative with the dosage.

Have they prescribed any gut meds at all?

You most definitely have not failed him, I assure you of that.

Thank you Zoobec - you made me cry! I'm a bit of a sensitive sausage. I'll ring the vet tomorrow and ask the question but when we saw the vet 2 days ago she didn't seem to indicate that there was wriggle room in the dose. He is on .6ml based on his 2kg weight. I've got some apple kicking round so I may try that tonight - but he's a clever chap and he didn't fall for the 'laced cranberry pieces' when the vet tried it. I'm still nursing the wounds on my shoulder from last nights attempt!
They haven't prescribed any gut med - that may be a conversation I have. I still think he's eating and I'll grab some fresh parsley and herbs when I shop on saturday. I'd rather he stuffed his face with some treat noms and got something in him and work from there. And thank you for your kind words about me. I guess it's just a caring thing and feeling the way I do probably shows why people like everyone on this forum care the way we do for our animals and put their welfare and wellbeing above all else. We all feel our rabbits pain when they are not well and all wish they could make them better as soon as they can. It's the price we must pay for being caring individuals.
Thank you so much Zoobec. x

What a conundrum Craig.

Are you managing tp successfully limit his activity?

Yes sort of MM. He's managing that himself by not really feeling the inclination to zoom round. He's just decided to come into the living room (I've been home about half an hour and the floof monster had her nose pressed against the inner doors to the living room when I came in so I had to let her into the room:lol:) whilst Henry sat in the kitchen diner in the snuggle box. He spent about 15 minutes in there and then decided just now to hop in and do his usual route to the settee then back to the table to be near Lillian. I'll check him later - and whilst that might sound uncaring, the facthe's come in to the room on his own means he is mobile and ok and wants to be near Lillian. So to that end, I feel that leaving him there settled next to Lillian is good for his own inner wellbeing rather than have me interfere and pick him up and annoy him. I've got time for that later when we do the meds:lol:.

Topping up the healing vibes. These bundles of fluff do like to scare us, don’t they! I’m sure there was nothing you could have done to prevent this and that you’ve done everything possible to help him get better. Parsley hated his meds, but as he’d also lost quite a bit of weight, I was giving him a couple of teaspoons of porridge (oats soaked in hot water and left to cool until a safe temperature to eat), he loved this and so by squirting his meds on top he’d trough them down. My vet nurse also suggested drawing up a bit of ribena into the syringe to make it taste nicer. I hope he continues to improve x

Yes sort of MM. He's managing that himself by not really feeling the inclination to zoom round. He's just decided to come into the living room (I've been home about half an hour and the floof monster had her nose pressed against the inner doors to the living room when I came in so I had to let her into the room:lol:) whilst Henry sat in the kitchen diner in the snuggle box. He spent about 15 minutes in there and then decided just now to hop in and do his usual route to the settee then back to the table to be near Lillian. I'll check him later - and whilst that might sound uncaring, the facthe's come in to the room on his own means he is mobile and ok and wants to be near Lillian. So to that end, I feel that leaving him there settled next to Lillian is good for his own inner wellbeing rather than have me interfere and pick him up and annoy him. I've got time for that later when we do the meds:lol:.

It sounds like you know just how to take good care of him, and reading his body language to find what's best.

I hope he and you have a peaceful evening with not too many worries, and that things progress in the right direction very soon x

Thank you Zoobec - you made me cry! I'm a bit of a sensitive sausage. I'll ring the vet tomorrow and ask the question but when we saw the vet 2 days ago she didn't seem to indicate that there was wriggle room in the dose. He is on .6ml based on his 2kg weight. I've got some apple kicking round so I may try that tonight - but he's a clever chap and he didn't fall for the 'laced cranberry pieces' when the vet tried it. I'm still nursing the wounds on my shoulder from last nights attempt!
They haven't prescribed any gut med - that may be a conversation I have. I still think he's eating and I'll grab some fresh parsley and herbs when I shop on saturday. I'd rather he stuffed his face with some treat noms and got something in him and work from there. And thank you for your kind words about me. I guess it's just a caring thing and feeling the way I do probably shows why people like everyone on this forum care the way we do for our animals and put their welfare and wellbeing above all else. We all feel our rabbits pain when they are not well and all wish they could make them better as soon as they can. It's the price we must pay for being caring individuals.
Thank you so much Zoobec. x

Bless you, I’m sorry to make you cry! I know when they are in pain and not themselves how worrying it is. Hopefully the vet can help, especially if the vet is rabbit savvy they will often be able to tweak the dosage of metacam in order to give better pain relief. If he’s coming out and about hopefully he is feeling more like himself. Hopefully he will be eating the treats you are laying on for him.

I’m sure he will be feeling better soon x

Just catching up with Henry's progress, really hope his poor little leg heals quickly. It is awful when they are hurting, you just want to take the pain for them don't you ? I'm sure he'll soon be back to his normal self xxx

I swear Henry will be the death of me! It's been 3 days since little Henry was at the vetand he (and I) send our sincere thanks for all your vibes and well wishes. And here's your update on Henry. He continued to present as not himself today, despite some normal routines - like the morning hop round to the settee and under the table. But this evening he just seemed very withdrawn. My O/H was more concerned than me - therefore that by default makes me a bad bun-father. We discussed and we agreed (at 8:30pm) to ring the vet and consider taking him to the vet tonight. Obviously there's a few gasps from you all, but hopefully as you read on, I can try to put your minds to some rest (more than mine anyway).
Henry seemed to be holding his left paw up more and sort of curling the end round and my O/H was concerned that there was a break. I (as untrained as I am) held him and he doesnt resist (not like Henry) and I had a very gentle stroke and feel of his leg and tried to compare with the good paw. There was nothing obvious and no feeling of anything nasty - as far as my none vet skills go. Having rung the vet (now out of hours) we had 2 options. Go now and see the lovley vet we saw on tuesday and accept the higher cost of out of hours, or hold off until tomorrow and see a newly qualified vet at normal rates.
Now, I know I'm not a great bunny father but my own view is, when our animals need our help and intervention, it doesn't come at an expense of 'how much is it'. If Henry would benefit from a reinforced opinion and interventive treatment now, then that is what his rights should be and he deserves no less than that from me. So I told O/H to book the vet now and we'd take him along.
Poor little Henry. I felt awful putting him back in the carrier. He must have been so scared.
We got to the vets and saw the lovely vet from tuesday - who drew the short straw for tonights late shift. She again, felt and manipulated his left leg and again, couldn't feel any obvious break. One question I hadn't got an answer to was "how long does soft tissue take to heal"? so I was keen to ask the vet. She said about 2 weeks - which I must admit was a relief to me because if it was only a few days, I don't think my heart could have coped. She put Henry down and - well, the little tinker starts hoping round, exploring and periscoping. Half an hour earlier he was giving it the "oh, I'm really not well and so sad" and here he is, mobile and although lame, he is completely active. I tell you, I could have just died on the spot.
Luckily for him, the vet has a real soft spot for Henry - a real soft spot, and she thinks he's adorable. Satisfied that there isn't an obvious break and that it's soft tissue injury, she said we could have an x-ray but if it was soft tissue damage, only a CT scan would show that. She said she could do an ibruprofen sort of injection but that would last 6 hours which we agreed wouldn't really be of benefit over metacalm.
I felt more reassured having got the answer to the longevity of the repair time, I agreed that we should monitor and rest him and he would just be subdued for the next 2 weeks, and we'll closely monitor him. And to round the evening off, the vet, bless her kind soul, waived the higher emergency out of hours charge and just charged us normal consultation fees. I almost wept.
So, that's your update on Henry. He's snuggled up next to the floof monster and I'll give him some parsley nomms in a while.
Oh, and the vet said (after someone suggested here earlier) that we could up his metacalm dose to twice a day.
I really am greateful (as is Henry) to you all for your vibes, support and also such helpful guidance and advice. You really are all so wonderful.
Now, I need to find myself some de-stress pills because I'm going to end up in a cardiac unit if I can't get my stress levels down!
Thank you all again
Craig and Henry xx

Poor Henry. (and you!) I really hope he will be back to his normal self soon. It sounds positive what the vet said though and I'm glad you were able to see a lovely out of hours vet tonight! Sending positive thoughts to you all :)

I swear Henry will be the death of me! It's been 3 days since little Henry was at the vetand he (and I) send our sincere thanks for all your vibes and well wishes. And here's your update on Henry. He continued to present as not himself today, despite some normal routines - like the morning hop round to the settee and under the table. But this evening he just seemed very withdrawn. My O/H was more concerned than me - therefore that by default makes me a bad bun-father. We discussed and we agreed (at 8:30pm) to ring the vet and consider taking him to the vet tonight. Obviously there's a few gasps from you all, but hopefully as you read on, I can try to put your minds to some rest (more than mine anyway).
Henry seemed to be holding his left paw up more and sort of curling the end round and my O/H was concerned that there was a break. I (as untrained as I am) held him and he doesnt resist (not like Henry) and I had a very gentle stroke and feel of his leg and tried to compare with the good paw. There was nothing obvious and no feeling of anything nasty - as far as my none vet skills go. Having rung the vet (now out of hours) we had 2 options. Go now and see the lovley vet we saw on tuesday and accept the higher cost of out of hours, or hold off until tomorrow and see a newly qualified vet at normal rates.
Now, I know I'm not a great bunny father but my own view is, when our animals need our help and intervention, it doesn't come at an expense of 'how much is it'. If Henry would benefit from a reinforced opinion and interventive treatment now, then that is what his rights should be and he deserves no less than that from me. So I told O/H to book the vet now and we'd take him along.
Poor little Henry. I felt awful putting him back in the carrier. He must have been so scared.
We got to the vets and saw the lovely vet from tuesday - who drew the short straw for tonights late shift. She again, felt and manipulated his left leg and again, couldn't feel any obvious break. One question I hadn't got an answer to was "how long does soft tissue take to heal"? so I was keen to ask the vet. She said about 2 weeks - which I must admit was a relief to me because if it was only a few days, I don't think my heart could have coped. She put Henry down and - well, the little tinker starts hoping round, exploring and periscoping. Half an hour earlier he was giving it the "oh, I'm really not well and so sad" and here he is, mobile and although lame, he is completely active. I tell you, I could have just died on the spot.
Luckily for him, the vet has a real soft spot for Henry - a real soft spot, and she thinks he's adorable. Satisfied that there isn't an obvious break and that it's soft tissue injury, she said we could have an x-ray but if it was soft tissue damage, only a CT scan would show that. She said she could do an ibruprofen sort of injection but that would last 6 hours which we agreed wouldn't really be of benefit over metacalm.
I felt more reassured having got the answer to the longevity of the repair time, I agreed that we should monitor and rest him and he would just be subdued for the next 2 weeks, and we'll closely monitor him. And to round the evening off, the vet, bless her kind soul, waived the higher emergency out of hours charge and just charged us normal consultation fees. I almost wept.
So, that's your update on Henry. He's snuggled up next to the floof monster and I'll give him some parsley nomms in a while.
Oh, and the vet said (after someone suggested here earlier) that we could up his metacalm dose to twice a day.
I really am greateful (as is Henry) to you all for your vibes, support and also such helpful guidance and advice. You really are all so wonderful.
Now, I need to find myself some de-stress pills because I'm going to end up in a cardiac unit if I can't get my stress levels down!
Thank you all again
Craig and Henry xx

And breathe!!

I am glad to hear this Craig, and you obviously have a lovely vet who has a very soft spot for young Henry!

So two weeks it is, and I really hope he will stop worrying you (and your OH) and that you can perhaps relax a bit this weekend knowing what you know now, and also have the reassurance of another vet check up.

Yay for Henry and Craig :D

Thank you all again
Craig and Henry xx

Firstly, you are a great bun dad. Most definitely. And secondly, I’m very glad the vet has agreed to let you give him metacam twice a day, it definitely helped Frosty when he was in pain with mouth ulcers after his dental.

Hopefully you will feel more at ease now and Henry will feel much better soon. Sending lots more vibes and hugs xx

Back