• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Constant humping in neutered male - Heeelp

I am having some issues with my bunnies, Finn & Myrtle.
They have both been neutered for over a year now, Finn was neutered at a young age as he was hormonal at 2 months.

For the past year he has been bonded with Myrtle, and they both live together indoors. However over the past 5 months or so Finns humping has been getting steadily worse. No changes to the environment or changes to their diet. Of course its bad after they have been to boarding, or the vet however his humping is pretty much consistent anytime.

Myrtle seems pretty stressed and i am doing all i can to help prevent this, by giving them some time apart, letting them have the run of my flat so they have more space away from one another, adding someplace for Myrtle to hide. However nothing seems to work. She hates being parted from Finn and she never uses the hiding place i have added to their pen.

I have even been to the vet to discuss this and about possible hormone suppressants. However after much research into it, there is nothing licensed in the UK for this in British rabbits.

I have also noticed that this could be effecting her eating. She's not eating half as much as Finn and Finn then just eats everything. She seems bright and lively in herself, nibbling hay and pooping ok so no obvious signs of illness.

I was just wondering if anyone else had this issue and how they resolved it?

I am having some issues with my bunnies, Finn & Myrtle.
They have both been neutered for over a year now, Finn was neutered at a young age as he was hormonal at 2 months.

For the past year he has been bonded with Myrtle, and they both live together indoors. However over the past 5 months or so Finns humping has been getting steadily worse. No changes to the environment or changes to their diet. Of course its bad after they have been to boarding, or the vet however his humping is pretty much consistent anytime.

Myrtle seems pretty stressed and i am doing all i can to help prevent this, by giving them some time apart, letting them have the run of my flat so they have more space away from one another, adding someplace for Myrtle to hide. However nothing seems to work. She hates being parted from Finn and she never uses the hiding place i have added to their pen.

I have even been to the vet to discuss this and about possible hormone suppressants. However after much research into it, there is nothing licensed in the UK for this in British rabbits.

I have also noticed that this could be effecting her eating. She's not eating half as much as Finn and Finn then just eats everything. She seems bright and lively in herself, nibbling hay and pooping ok so no obvious signs of illness.

I was just wondering if anyone else had this issue and how they resolved it?

Yes. In two older (7+) castrated Bucks. Both were found to have adrenal hyperplasia, the main presenting symptom being hypersexual behaviour. Both were treated with Lupron (Leuprolide) implants prescribed 'off licence' via the Veterinary Medicine Prescribing Cascade

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-cascade-prescribing-unauthorised-medicines

https://www.bsava.com/Resources/Veterinary-resources/Medicines-Guide/Prescribing-cascade

Both Bucks responded very well initially. But after about 9 months one of the Bucks ceased to respond to them and he was found to have a more aggressive form of adrenal tumour.

I have a Veterinary article about Adrenal Hyperplasia in Rabbits, but it is copyright protected so I cannot post it on here. I could email it to you as a pdf file though.

Also, there is a brief mention about it on here :

https://rabbit.org/journal/4-10/sexhormones.html

Thanks Jane!

I will take a look at those. Finn is only a young rabbit at a year old? Can this happen in young bucks?
Finn had be neatuered at a very early age, so I am not sure if that would make a difference in terms of tumours.

I will take a read and see what I can find out. It does appear though that the options are limited!

Back