• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Not using hind leg...

I'm gutted for you, SS. This is such a shock. :cry: Thinking of you at this very sad time.

Binky free, Sonic. xxxx

I've just got to work, and everyone else is off sick. This is going to be a very long day.

He was in such good shape, I can't believe it. It wasn't supposed to be his time :(

It was a broken femur, he's gone :(

Thank you for all the good vibes and thoughts. He had a good run, made lots of people laugh, and he was one in a million. I'm sad he was in pain, but he's not anymore.

oh no :(
i am so sorry.

:cry: so sorry you had to help sonic cross the bridge, remember all then happy years you had together, Binky free sonic xx

Thanks everyone :love: It's been a rubbish couple of days. I think I've got over the shock a little bit more now - I mean, it's 1pm and I haven't cried!

On Tuesday my boss dropped in to pick something up. All was going well until he said "You sound a bit bunged up, do you have a cold too?" and I burst into tears :lol: Luckily, he brought his black lab, so I got a puppy cuddle, which made me feel a bit better.

It's just frustrating that he was in such good shape. I like to think he had a couple more years in him, otherwise. I couldn't have put him through the surgery though, it would have been so selfish. He would never have coped being immobile!

Hopefully I gave him a good life and he enjoyed his time with us!

Oh man, it's a bit ****!

I thought it was getting easier, but it's still pretty tough! I went to help my friend move house today, and we got there and before we went in, she said "I don't know if you'll want to, or if this will be really hard for you, but we have a house rabbit, would you like to see him?"

Obviously I said yes, as I burst into tears :lol: He was a sassy little nethie called Pipkin, and he was hilarious. He liked playing with toilet roll tubes, and boxed like a kangaroo when he was playing?? I've never seen that behaviour before, but he was having loads of fun. I also saw a 5 month old puppy, and I've been volunteering tonight with the disabled riders group, so I've had some horse therapy tonight too. Just a shame the guinea pigs still don't consider me a friend!

It is very up and down, I find, with this kind of situation. And it’s not surprising that all of this has triggered you to feel the way you do. Thinking of you and sending hugs xx

It is very up and down, I find, with this kind of situation. And it’s not surprising that all of this has triggered you to feel the way you do. Thinking of you and sending hugs xx

Thank you... I've been having thoughts that I should have maybe given the vet a chance to fix his leg... which I know would have been too much for him, and I always promised I wouldn't put him through that. It wouldn't be just for the pain, but also the fact that he wouldn't have been mobile or independent, he would have been miserable. He would have been away from his home, would have had to stay inside, it really wouldn't have worked. But at the moment, I would really love to have him back :(

Thank you... I've been having thoughts that I should have maybe given the vet a chance to fix his leg... which I know would have been too much for him, and I always promised I wouldn't put him through that. It wouldn't be just for the pain, but also the fact that he wouldn't have been mobile or independent, he would have been miserable. He would have been away from his home, would have had to stay inside, it really wouldn't have worked. But at the moment, I would really love to have him back :(

My heart is with you.
I understand.

Hugs .. it takes time, but things set you off at unexpected moments. So hard xx

It’s often the case that you question decisions after the event, but you did a very selfless thing for him and stopped him having to go through pain and suffering.

Sending lots more hugs xx

I'm now onto another stage of grief... planning a last minute holiday :shock: a thousand mile Scottish road trip is looking very likely at the moment!

Back