Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How breaking bonds works

Default How breaking bonds works

This might be a really stupid question.

But I know obviously when going to a vets etc you take a bonded pair together because being apart for even an hour or so (so Iíve read) can break a bond.

So if my boys have both the kitchen/diner which has their nighttime pen in, and now the living room, and one spends time alone in the pen a few hours and the other in the living room, by choice.....isnít that the same thing and could cause a break down?

Is that just paranoid talk and the two are totally different scenarios?

Thank you x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mama Doe

Idk because Iv only had my buns a few weeks but if your talking about by choice then could it not be different as they have decided for themselves rather then being separated by us? Just speculating
    My buns are often apart for long periods as Harlequin likes to run off energy in the hallway then relax out there for ages and both seem fine.
    Last edited by Lisa1981; 07-01-2019 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Being blond

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa1981 View Post
    Idk because Iv only had my buns a few weeks but if your talking about by choice then could it not be different as they have decided for themselves rather then being separated by us? Just speculating
    My buns are often apart for long periods as Harlequin likes to run off energy in the hallway then relax out there for ages.
    Yeah see thatís exactly what Iím wondering too, if the choice makes a difference.

Itís coming from our pair thatís been bonded (again) since beginning of December and now they have all of downstairs after slow expansion over a month or so, but they often chose to spend time apart for a few hours but then sometimes Luther just gets funny and tries to keep nipping Truffle in the face or circling can happen.
    Today has been particularly bad and Iíve had to intervene 4 times so far. But now they are snuggling again!!

Iím just so tired of being on edge all the time and just want them to just deal with the fact they love each other.
    Thank you for your reply :-)

I don't see it as the same. IME securely bonded rabbits cope well being reunited after time apart. I know its possible for illness & vet visits & referred aggression etc to upset relationship dynamics but I've never experienced it. It is not unusual for Boo to sleep under our bed most of the night & nobun raises any eyebrow when she rejoins the others. Many bunnies take time out / away from eacj other. I honestly wouldn't worry x

My buns have four separate areas they can choose to be in. Sometimes they'll choose to be as far from each other as possible It's definitely not the same: going to the vets they'll smell different so it's more risky in a new or unsure bond, but in the same environment they're fine
    The geeky one...

Often available for bunny runs: PM for details.

Mama Doe

Quote Originally Posted by Truffpuff View Post
    Yeah see thatís exactly what Iím wondering too, if the choice makes a difference.

Itís coming from our pair thatís been bonded (again) since beginning of December and now they have all of downstairs after slow expansion over a month or so, but they often chose to spend time apart for a few hours but then sometimes Luther just gets funny and tries to keep nipping Truffle in the face or circling can happen.
    Today has been particularly bad and Iíve had to intervene 4 times so far. But now they are snuggling again!!

Iím just so tired of being on edge all the time and just want them to just deal with the fact they love each other.
    Thank you for your reply :-)

It still sounds like early days (again). I often worry over things regarding behaviour to one another because my 2 have not been together long but I think some times you just have to let them take their own time over it. I often have to find myself some thing mentally absorbing to stop myself worrying then hours/days later I realise it wasnít to much of an issue.
    Our buns like to keep us on our toes I think

Quote Originally Posted by joey&boo View Post
    I don't see it as the same. IME securely bonded rabbits cope well being reunited after time apart. I know its possible for illness & vet visits & referred aggression etc to upset relationship dynamics but I've never experienced it. It is not unusual for Boo to sleep under our bed most of the night & nobun raises any eyebrow when she rejoins the others. Many bunnies take time out / away from eacj other. I honestly wouldn't worry x
    Quote Originally Posted by keletkezes View Post
    My buns have four separate areas they can choose to be in. Sometimes they'll choose to be as far from each other as possible It's definitely not the same: going to the vets they'll smell different so it's more risky in a new or unsure bond, but in the same environment they're fine
    Thanks guys I really appreciate your replies.

I think I was kind of hoping it might be that because otherwise it makes me worry more why Luther keeps randomly deciding to be mean to Truffle, either nipping his face or butt, sometimes initiating circling.

Iíve been doing what the bonders advised me to do when these occasions happen, but Iím constantly worried sick because Iím terrified the bond could break down at any moment like before.....I know I overreact I just canít help it because I canít go back again. And it frustrates me that itís so random I canít change anything to make him stop.

Is it normal for these behaviours to still happen after bonding but will phase out?

Sorry to be such a worry wart x

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa1981 View Post
    It still sounds like early days (again). I often worry over things regarding behaviour to one another because my 2 have not been together long but I think some times you just have to let them take their own time over it. I often have to find myself some thing mentally absorbing to stop myself worrying then hours/days later I realise it wasnít to much of an issue.
    Our buns like to keep us on our toes I think
    Thatís what I was afraid of. I canít help panicking or thinking the worst because Iíve never had two rabbits before or bonded, it broke down once after 8 months so Iím such a paranoid bun mum now!

Yeah your totally right. Iíve been trying to do my foe flower wedding display flowers to keep me busy but keep an eye on them. They seem fine again but I just feel on edge all the time.
    They certainly do! Iíve asked if they can give it a break for now haha!

I hope your bond continues to go well x

Spoke to soon, they were fine for like 50 mins cuddling then grooming. Suddenly Luther lost it and chased Truffle and nipped his butt.

So Iíve herded both into their pen for a time out.

Maybe we need to go back to just the kitchen/diner and living room was too much too fast, only two or three days after the space expansion before.

Bunny relationships remind me of people relationships - some live in each others pockets, forever snuggling, some argue like crazy then make up with similar passion, some seem more like friends, some are decidely psychotic. Its hard enough to read our own species minds never mind bunnies. That said it sounds like your instinct is to reduce their space back til they are settled for a longer time. I'd follow your gut.

IME (Boo being my bossy rabbit) her behaviour has calmed over time but not changed.