• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How breaking bonds works

Truffpuff, I’m sorry you are having problems with them. Probably not what you would want to hear but it seems to me as if their bond is fragile, if they are doing this without any trigger, unless it’s early spring fever kicking in, although I’d expect mounting. My worry is that this could happen when you aren’t with them and one or both could be seriously injured. It would seem to me that you have tried everything to make this work, several times, and for whatever reason it seems the bond doesn’t quite work:cry:

Thinking of you and sending hugs xx

Truffpuff, I’m sorry you are having problems with them. Probably not what you would want to hear but it seems to me as if their bond is fragile, if they are doing this without any trigger, unless it’s early spring fever kicking in, although I’d expect mounting. My worry is that this could happen when you aren’t with them and one or both could be seriously injured. It would seem to me that you have tried everything to make this work, several times, and for whatever reason it seems the bond doesn’t quite work:cry:

I am also thinking of you, Truffpuff. As you know I have thought along similar lines to Zoobec for a while now, but haven't wanted to keep posting negative thoughts and hoping that I was wrong :(

Sending lots of hugs. It's a very distressing situation to be in.

I get that. I’m not in all day every day but I’m with mine a lot and spend a lot of time with them and any new thing worry’s me because I’m so new to rabbits and reading up on the internet can get quiet confusing a lot of the time.

We’ve been having the odd fur pull a lot of sniffing of behinds lately which has got me thinking do I really have two girls( surely breeder and a vet can’t be wrong) but then tonight there has been chasing and humping and they are getting more destructive and one is becoming nippy. Although I think it’s probably a dominance thing it’s put me on high alert and asking myself so many questions I’m sure I’ll be grey by morning.

My daughter is home educated and we use it as one of her therapies for a few of her diognosises and she’s doing really well with lessons so as much as I don’t like the cold it’s good for us both and how I lost 9 stone last year. There’s also a large group of kids that are home Ed and get together on a Friday at the ice rink so it’s good socially for her.
I would go when you can just wrap up well and you might be suprised that you redescovervwhy you loved doing it :)

It sounds like your doing every thing you can and using all the techniques you have been taught. I can emagen how frastrating it must be.
Have they been doing better in their pen then when they have a larger space? If so could you not give them more time in there. I know it’s not ideal but if they do better in smaller space like that maybe it’s worth a try? Idk because I’m new to all this but it can’t be all that bad if it’s going to help in the long run.

I hope you manage to get some rest tonight.
Your always welcome to pm if you need a chat :love:

Well that’s odd....mine too have just recently started butt sniffing! And I mean really shoving their face in lol, mine are definitely boys as I was present when their manhoods were removed lol, so the sexing could be right. I’ve never been good at sexing until testicles appear!
Yeah sounds like dominance to me too, apparently fur pulling is common at the start and getting them apart is only needed if blood is drawn or circling starts or mounting the head end or prolonged humping. I hope they settle soon for you.

Aww that’s such a lovely idea, and it’s wonderful it’s helping your daughter in such a positive way. Yeah that’s very true! Maybe I’ll go with him one day this year, I’d love to get back into horse riding again too but it’s so much more expensive than when I went 20 years ago!

See this is the weird thing, nothing happens in the pen, it did at the very beginning when they came home but now, nothing. And no problems have happened at night either (I have a bunny spy cam I keep on all night and check whenever I wake up). So it’s just after being out the pen, like he’s excited and binkies or they snuggle, then after a while it’s just too much for him or something.....it’s so strange. Or if I leave them in for the morning and we go shopping, they are fine and not fussing.

I could try a period out, then shut in, then out a bit in the evening, then back in. But I don’t know if that might cause frustration however when put in time out they seem fine. Only issue is they need to get over it as if I try that and it works it can’t become routine as when I go back to work they can’t go in and out it’s one or the other. Going to email the bonder this morning and another rabbit lady I got in contact with who was originally going to bond the boys but sadly had bad health issues so had to cancel.

Thank you I really appreciate your replies and help <3 xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am also thinking of you, Truffpuff. As you know I have thought along similar lines to Zoobec for a while now, but haven't wanted to keep posting negative thoughts and hoping that I was wrong :(

Sending lots of hugs. It's a very distressing situation to be in.

Well see there’s no mounting although neither get the chance because they are sensitive about their butts, but, this last week there has been a lot of under butt sniffing......and I mean really trying to get a face full lol! And both have done it to each other and unsurprisingly the sniffee doesn’t approve and hops or spins away. Could that indicate spring fever or something?

We haven’t gone through it yet because I’m spring the boys have either been living side by side or Truffle was ill so have no idea how it affects them yet.

Again this is the strange thing, in the pen there’s no issues, we’ve left them in and gone shopping come back at 1pm and they are fine and not even fussing. And at night there’s been zero issues at all (I’m still looking at bun cam every night whenever I wake up). It’s just when let out and not all the time. It’s a bit like after the excitement or being out and looking around, Luther gets overwhelmed or something and things he could deal with in the pen like bumps or nuzzles from Truffle he can’t cope with some times outside.

Otherwise they do everything bonded buns should and cuddle, snuggle, groom (and not just eyes this time), share food etc etc. Which is why it’s frustrating.

Thank you both though even if they aren’t things I want to hear you know I always appreciate views from all angles and you know I love you guys but in the nicest way I hope you are wrong. I can’t bare the alternative :-( xx

Truffpuff

Mine are doing exactly exactilly the same. Face right in and both of them ( I did see a thread on spring fever). It just got me thinking about their sex as they not been nutered but both been checked by a vet as I understand it’s very hard to check yourself. I just don’t want a litter of baby bunnies so untill they are done I’m going to wort I think.

No mounting the head and nether seems to mind the sniffing unless the one doing it nips. The only circling of any sort is when the receiver moves and the other keeps trying to sniff this is some times a circular motion. No fighting but lots of binkys and flopping so they are still happy or it looks like they are.

I love horses and they have such a calming influence. My daughter rides weekly and it is a huge expense but is so worth it. I ride ocashnally to and find it helps so much with my anxiety it’s almost like a feeling of being home and being accepted.

It sounds like the pen is a positive place. Could you start off small ( time wise) then increase it bit by bit the time you let them out. Do they have any thing they really like that you could use to distract them with ie favriot herbs treats pellets ect for when things might start or maybe put them in the new space before and during their out time. These are just thoughts as I really don’t know much but making the new space a posative place would be a start is how I would see it.

I hope you can get some posative feedback from the bonder or the lady.

It’s no problem and what this place is for. Ideas from others always help I think :)
Hope today goes better then yesterday :love:

Last edited:
I really hope that I'm wrong too.

I think in your position the key question I would have to ask myself is whether I was confident to leave them. A bit of sniffing, nipping and chasing I could be OK with, but I would be worried if I wasn't sure that a serious fight might break out when I wasn't around.

I really hope they can sort themselves out.

Truffpuff

Mine are doing exactly exactilly the same. Face right in and both of them ( I did see a thread on spring fever). It just got me thinking about their sex as they not been nutered but both been checked by a vet as I understand it’s very hard to check yourself. I just don’t want a litter of baby bunnies so untill they are done I’m going to wort I think.

No mounting the head and nether seems to mind the sniffing unless the one doing it nips. The only circling of any sort is when the receiver moves and the other keeps trying to sniff this is some times a circular motion. No fighting but lots of binkys and flopping so they are still happy or it looks like they are.

I love horses and they have such a calming influence. My daughter rides weekly and it is a huge expense but is so worth it. I ride ocashnally to and find it helps so much with my anxiety it’s almost like a feeling of being home and being accepted.

It sounds like the pen is a positive place. Could you start off small ( time wise) then increase it bit by bit the time you let them out. Do they have any thing they really like that you could use to distract them with ie favriot herbs treats pellets ect for when things might start or maybe put them in the new space before and during their out time. These are just thoughts as I really don’t know much but making the new space a posative place would be a start is how I would see it.

I hope you can get some posative feedback from the bonder or the lady.

It’s no problem and what this place is for. Ideas from others always help I think :)
Hope today goes better then yesterday : love:

Yeah exactly! I wonder if the smell of their scent glands change with spring coming so they like having a good whiff! I think I’m going to research spring fever because I don’t really know much about it or experienced it before.
Yeah neutering can make the bond much easier. When we had only Truffle and the cats were kittens, when the kittens were maturing he went right off them and attacked them, after they were castrated he was best friends with them again, so it can make a big difference. We got Luther done as soon as plums appeared before he knew what they were bless him.

Yes! That’s exactly why I wish I could go again, I miss horse interaction so much and they are calming. I used to work at a stable for free and get free rides when I was young it was so lovely doing something for myself. I went a few times with the OH and he liked it too, when my business finally takes off and money comes in I hope to go together in the future :-D aw awesome I was going to suggest you daughter might like it! Hehe.

Yeah I think maybe that’s a good idea, poor Truffle never wants to go back I have to herd him like a sheepdog hahaha! Actually that makes a lot of sense doing small things in the day to busy them. We do have herbs and treat balls I could put pellets in maybe too. Might be an idea, thank you!

Thank you me too, hopefully just blowing it out of proportion a bit too lol.
Yes exactly, that’s why I like any comments even if they are tough to read because I like getting as bigger pictures as possible and sometimes it’s not pretty.

Thank you, I’ll let them out a while when I have lunch and see how we do. But no issues while in the pen still this morning xx

I think in your position the key question I would have to ask myself is whether I was confident to leave them. A bit of sniffing, nipping and chasing I could be OK with, but I would be worried if I wasn't sure that a serious fight might break out when I wasn't around.

See that is all it is at the moment, but only when out the pen. They have been alone in the pen all morning and been normal.....same all night and if we leave them in the pen to go out a few hours. It’s something about space.

But I can’t keep them in forever because Luther gets frustrated and destructive, the frame of the pen has taken a beating which I’m sure isn’t good for him!
So my answer would be yeah I trust them alone, in the pen and out HAS to be supervised, at least for now.

Maybe after a while it will get better and he’s just to over stimulated by the outside, he never really used to come in the living room now he’s excited about it this time. Bunnies are just so random lol!

See that is all it is at the moment, but only when out the pen. They have been alone in the pen all morning and been normal.....same all night and if we leave them in the pen to go out a few hours. It’s something about space.

But I can’t keep them in forever because Luther gets frustrated and destructive, the frame of the pen has taken a beating which I’m sure isn’t good for him!
So my answer would be yeah I trust them alone, in the pen and out HAS to be supervised, at least for now.

Maybe after a while it will get better and he’s just to over stimulated by the outside, he never really used to come in the living room now he’s excited about it this time. Bunnies are just so random lol!

I won't chip in here because I don't want to complicate the issue.

However, please contact me 'off Forum' if chatting this through would help and not confuse.
I don't mind either way :)

I've said this before on here- I'm convinced Mouse assesses Boo's mood by having a good old close up sniff of her bum. Multiple times a day Mouse wakes Boo up in this way (its not seasonal but constant) despite the fact that sometimes she goes a sniff too far & will be hoyed out of the cuddle zone

I agree with this :thumb:

Thinking of you xx

I've said this before on here- I'm convinced Mouse assesses Boo's mood by having a good old close up sniff of her bum. Multiple times a day Mouse wakes Boo up in this way (its not seasonal but constant) despite the fact that sometimes she goes a sniff too far & will be hoyed out of the cuddle zone

I know it shouldn’t but this did make me giggle!
Poor Boobles! Yes the boys sometimes do it while the other is laying down and I’m like dude leave his butt he’s comfortable, then they make the other get up in a grump.
The cuddle zone.....I want to be in the cuddles zone with them <3 Minus the butt sniffing side of course lol!!

Back