• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Becky Piper (vet)

no wrapping BB but her handling skills are fine - she was very thorough with Mouse despite her liking of biting vets. Freaked me out she has the exact same accent as Heather, must be from same region of Scotland.

I feel a bit sad but am working on myself as its not the end of the world. Boo has actually done awesomely (I've no updated her dental thread for fear of jinxing) but she has gone 7 months since her last dental. Of course she did her usual trick of not chewing the ottoscope (Mouse over compensated the other way). Her gums look a bit dark which just could be Boo but can also be indicative of infection. Her previously dodgy side is looking good / stable but her teeth are overly long on the right side & will need attention in the forseeable future. Very surprise & a bit upset that Joey has spurs too. They both need non emergency dentals :(

It doesn't end there. Mousey is fine but I've made both Joey & Boo fat. I'm not sure how. All of them are now 2.8. She didn't have to weigh Joe to have the fat talk with me.

no wrapping BB but her handling skills are fine - she was very thorough with Mouse despite her liking of biting vets. Freaked me out she has the exact same accent as Heather, must be from same region of Scotland.

I feel a bit sad but am working on myself as its not the end of the world. Boo has actually done awesomely (I've no updated her dental thread for fear of jinxing) but she has gone 7 months since her last dental. Of course she did her usual trick of not chewing the ottoscope (Mouse over compensated the other way). Her gums look a bit dark which just could be Boo but can also be indicative of infection. Her previously dodgy side is looking good / stable but her teeth are overly long on the right side & will need attention in the forseeable future. Very surprise & a bit upset that Joey has spurs too. They both need non emergency dentals :(

It doesn't end there. Mousey is fine but I've made both Joey & Boo fat. I'm not sure how. All of them are now 2.8. She didn't have to weigh Joe to have the fat talk with me.
Oh no, have you got to book them in or just see how it goes? I would of thought that was a heavy weight too? Has Joey had a dental before?

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I'm really sorry the vet visit wasn't as positive as you'd hoped. It's very disheartening to be told they have spurs when you've done everything humanly possible to give them a really good hay diet. I had that with Scrappy after I'd trawled every field in Britain to find a hay she would eat!

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

Oh no, have you got to book them in or just see how it goes? I would of thought that was a heavy weight too? Has Joey had a dental before?

Yeah Joey & Boos ideal weight is 2.4 -2.5 so they are both carrying holiday weight. Joey had a dental once - 2015. Bob scared him by operating some noisy machinery & he stopped eating. I suggested this as reason at vet but they thought it was a spur so he had that burred. Vets always comment on Joeys spurs but havent viewed them so negatively before.

Plan is to take them in together in 12 days when OH can drive them though obviously if there are any signs in the interim they'll be straight in. At least they can hold paws. I'd like to give them this long to let their RHVD2 work (they had booster today, a month early). Its quite fortuitous they went in early. Becky estimated a month for both buns b4 they would need a dental. If thats correct & I'd not brought their vaccinations forward I'd be in a horrible situation where their immunity would be running out at a time they need GA

I'm really sorry the vet visit wasn't as positive as you'd hoped. It's very disheartening to be told they have spurs when you've done everything humanly possible to give them a really good hay diet. I had that with Scrappy after I'd trawled every field in Britain to find a hay she would eat!

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

Yeah I feel bad about Joe needing a dental. Boo not so much as her teeth are congenitally wrong & the long teeth are just another repercussion of the initial problem.

Well it appears that Ms Piper is very thorough in her rabbit examinations :) That's the good news :thumb:

I'm really surprised that Joey as well as Boo will need to have dentals. Boo, I can understand, but it's a mystery really why Joey now has a dental problem.

I can't imagine they are that much overweight and I guess it will be difficult to know how to reduce it. Perhaps you should make them all run round the house each morning before they get any forage :lol:

I've just seen your update and it is certainly good that you took them in early.

Sorry, I read that back and I ment to put "not a heavy weight". I would rather them be over weight than under weight especially if they are hay and foraged based. Are you going to put them on a diet? That's good you bought them forward - I brought maples fives weeks early as that's how it worked out for a Friday one month early. I'm sorry that you have to go through a double dental

Well it appears that Ms Piper is very thorough in her rabbit examinations :) That's the good news :thumb:

I'm really surprised that Joey as well as Boo will need to have dentals. Boo, I can understand, but it's a mystery really why Joey now has a dental problem.

I can't imagine they are that much overweight and I guess it will be difficult to know how to reduce it. Perhaps you should make them all run round the house each morning before they get any forage [emoji38]

I've just seen your update and it is certainly good that you took them in early.
Syrups gained a lot of weight and I believe this is perhaps hay cookies. Isn't there a type of grass that Is fattening? I am not putting her on a diet though

Syrups gained a lot of weight and I believe this is perhaps hay cookies. Isn't there a type of grass that Is fattening? I am not putting her on a diet though

Alfalfa has more calories than other grass. I wouldn't think that hay cookies are made with Alfalfa though.

Becky says really important not to be overweight, esp now he is reaching age where potentially arthiritis might kick in, apparently they find it loads harder to manage if they are fat. No diets though til after dentals

Last edited:
Becky says really important not to be overweight, esp now he is reaching age where potentially arthiritis might kick in, apparently they find it loads harder to manage if they are fat. No diets though til after dentals
She sounds supper savvy, that's good to know

She sounds supper savvy, that's good to know

Yeah I still get good vibes. He may be a chubby jaffa chomper but he is definitely not showing signs of arthiritis yet. He doesnt hop he springs

Becky earned her stripes today with Boo's dental - I'll update her dental thread

She’s a good one isn’t she :)

I always trusted her at our local vets where she worked for years, but I didn’t always trust the practice/facilities as a whole hence regularly absconding to CL whenever something tricky was going on, then I moved there full time when Becky left.
Even though she was good before she seems to have come on amazingly and I’ve seen a huge difference in her in her two months at CL.

Hope Boo’s mouth is feeling loads better.

She’s a good one isn’t she :)

I always trusted her at our local vets where she worked for years, but I didn’t always trust the practice/facilities as a whole hence regularly absconding to CL whenever something tricky was going on, then I moved there full time when Becky left.
Even though she was good before she seems to have come on amazingly and I’ve seen a huge difference in her in her two months at CL.

Hope Boo’s mouth is feeling loads better.

Awww thank you. You're right about needing the right person and the right practice. I'm certainly very pleased with her

Becky earned her stripes today with Boo's dental - I'll update her dental thread

I am pleased to report that Becky earned more stripes as a bunny vet yesterday. On being presented with an inappetitant bunny (that has not been taken very seriously by another practice earlier in the week) she quickly identified a suspicious lump and ran tests. The evidence pointed strongly towards internal bleeding, suspected liver torsion so emergency surgery was recommended and performed. The liver torsion removed and repaired and bunny is recovering. It could have been a very different tale without a vet who took this seriously and knew what to do. (Not my bunny, a FB friend but thought it worth updating this thread for anybody in the area looking for a bunny savvy vet).

Back