• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Becky Piper (vet)

I am pleased to report that Becky earned more stripes as a bunny vet yesterday. On being presented with an inappetitant bunny (that has not been taken very seriously by another practice earlier in the week) she quickly identified a suspicious lump and ran tests. The evidence pointed strongly towards internal bleeding, suspected liver torsion so emergency surgery was recommended and performed. The liver torsion removed and repaired and bunny is recovering. It could have been a very different tale without a vet who took this seriously and knew what to do. (Not my bunny, a FB friend but thought it worth updating this thread for anybody in the area looking for a bunny savvy vet).

phew. I opened this thread expecting to be told she was with child :lol: Well done Becky

phew. I opened this thread expecting to be told she was with child :lol: Well done Becky

Not even in jest, please. 3 out of the last 4 years we have loaned bunny vets to motherhood, we have made enough sacrifices. ;) ... It's about time Heather returned - she seems to have been gone ages.

Last edited:
So, we decided to test her out properly and gave her a blockage surgery to do today. :shock:

So glad she found her way to Crab Lane Vets.

Oh no :( hope bun does well xx

Thank you. He ("Little Skunk") is through the surgery and in the recovery area.

It sounds like the surgery went really well but I'm worried that he has an underlying condition that may scupper his recovery. For a while now Skunk/Eliza have been drinking a lot and urinating a lot. I have separated them several times to work out which bun it is but neither have given me sufficient clues during the time of separation. Nothing found on vet consultation eg weight steady etc. The plan was for me to work out which bunny it is and then further tests. If it is Skunk, which I believe it is, he may have compromised kidney/liver etc already. The irony is we are more likely to find out which bunny it is now as they will need periods of separation during their admission. I was so convinced this wasn't digestive when I shunted him off to the vets.

OMG, it sounds as though you are dealing with a Bunny ER nightmare :cry: Thank goodness you have access to such a Rabbit Savvy Vet and I really hope both Bunnies will make a good recovery xx

Has anyone experience of Helen @ Crab Lane vets? I wanted to take Mousey this Thurs for her review & Rudey to register & give full MOT but Heather is on her hols & Ruth isn't working that day. I've messed up as forgot about bank hol mon. I can't work out if I've enough metacam to wait til a week on thurs

How is Skunk doing BB?

He's doing good thank you. There was a bit of a misunderstanding when he was discharged as I am too scared of him to medicate him but the message was relayed that I'd be okay to medicate but not syringe feed. Another major complication was that his companion Eliza was going mental and the worst 'feral cat' type behaviour ... described as the scariest rabbit they'd ever dealt with:shock: So they had to be kept separate to give them access to Skunk ... Long story but I ended up taking him to Ashlands for two days to be medicated so he and Eliza could remain together. ... but it all came good in the end. And a round of applause for the two practices working together. ... Then he'd only been home about 6 hours when I had to rush Theo to OOH... so it goes!!

Has anyone experience of Helen @ Crab Lane vets? I wanted to take Mousey this Thurs for her review & Rudey to register & give full MOT but Heather is on her hols & Ruth isn't working that day. I've messed up as forgot about bank hol mon. I can't work out if I've enough metacam to wait til a week on thurs

Helen is wonderful. I think she said she has kept rabbits herself, can't remember if as an adult or in her formative years, but yes, I've recommend her both on attitude and rabbit savviness. She was the one who deal with the very sad admission/aftermath for Alma and she was very much on the ball with diagnoses etc. You'll be in safe hands but I suddenly have a few open bottles of Metacam and have spare if you ever need any as I can't possibly get through it all in six months (she says, hoping she's not tempting fate!!).. so if you would rather have continuity with Becky...

Last edited:
He's doing good thank you. There was a bit of a misunderstanding when he was discharged as I am too scared of him to medicate him but the message was relayed that I'd be okay to medicate but not syringe feed. Another major complication was that his companion Eliza was going mental and the worst 'feral cat' type behaviour ... described as the scariest rabbit they'd ever dealt with:shock: So they had to be kept separate to give them access to Skunk ... Long story but I ended up taking him to Ashlands for two days to be medicated so he and Eliza could remain together. ... but it all came good in the end. And a round of applause for the two practices working together. ... Then he'd only been home about 6 hours when I had to rush Theo to OOH... so it goes!!

Helen is wonderful. I think she said she has kept rabbits herself, can't remember if as an adult or in her formative years, but yes, I've recommend her both on attitude and rabbit savviness. She was the one who deal with the very sad admission/aftermath for Alma and she was very much on the ball with diagnoses etc. You'll be in safe hands but I suddenly have a few open bottles of Metacam and have spare if you ever need any as I can't possibly get through it all in six months (she says, hoping she's not tempting fate!!).. so if you would rather have continuity with Becky...

Great Skunk is doing so well now!

I'm so happy to hear your thoughts on Helen - very encouraging, thank you.

Rudey & Mouse are now booked in for Thurs. I'm quite excited to meet a new bunny savvy vet. Crab lane is doing so well for bunny savvy vets - bet FHB is pleased their good rabbity reputation can live on.

BB- do you know how much blood tests are - to check kidney function etc. Mouse needs them but may request for Rudey just cos he drinks so much. Also microchips? And filavac - need to get those sorted for the little fella too though they aren't time sensitive

Great Skunk is doing so well now!

I'm so happy to hear your thoughts on Helen - very encouraging, thank you.

Rudey & Mouse are now booked in for Thurs. I'm quite excited to meet a new bunny savvy vet. Crab lane is doing so well for bunny savvy vets - bet FHB is pleased their good rabbity reputation can live on.

BB- do you know how much blood tests are - to check kidney function etc. Mouse needs them but may request for Rudey just cos he drinks so much. Also microchips? And filavac - need to get those sorted for the little fella too though they aren't time sensitive

Blood tests not sure but I'm thinking about £40 - £50. Microchips about £17 last time I had one done, Filavac £32 for first and £24 for subsequent ones.

Yes, I think Frances will be really pleased we have so many rabbit savvy vets there, shame we've lost OOH but that's been a bit of a trade-off. (Of course she has lost her OOHs too, though she's nearer Bishopton than we are..) I don't know if Helen is staying when Heather returns but it would be awesome if she is. .. again not sure when H is back or if she is full-time, I never think to ask...

Oh, and just to add more confusion to the mix - Helen also has a Scottish accent but from a different region to H and B.

Blood tests not sure but I'm thinking about £40 - £50. Microchips about £17 last time I had one done, Filavac £32 for first and £24 for subsequent ones.

Yes, I think Frances will be really pleased we have so many rabbit savvy vets there, shame we've lost OOH but that's been a bit of a trade-off. (Of course she has lost her OOHs too, though she's nearer Bishopton than we are..) I don't know if Helen is staying when Heather returns but it would be awesome if she is. .. again not sure when H is back or if she is full-time, I never think to ask...

Oh, and just to add more confusion to the mix - Helen also has a Scottish accent but from a different region to H and B.

I shall quiz Helen about whether she is there to stay & Heathers anticipated return. I noticed she is Scottish from their website but disappointed to learn she has a different accent - just cos it would amuse me if she Heather & Becky shared the same.

Thanks for the info re prices . All very reasonable.

Last question - can she burrito?

I shall quiz Helen about whether she is there to stay & Heathers anticipated return. I noticed she is Scottish from their website but disappointed to learn she has a different accent - just cos it would amuse me if she Heather & Becky shared the same.

Thanks for the info re prices . All very reasonable.

Last question - can she burrito?

That's either:
*Not tested* or
*Can't remember*.

She didn't do the original triage for Alma, just the inpatient stuff and the day she was really sick so it wasn't appropriate that day.

Back