• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Different colour poops

Graciee

Staff member
So the outside buns hay has changed a lot, roll on the 9th for more Timothy hay [emoji38] they still have lots of good quality hay and seem to be eating just as much.. But the outside of their poops are less golden.. A bit darker, then the inside is golden like normal...

My boyfriend googled it, and said it meant they have too much protein from the hay..?

Just wondering people's thoughts on this :)

So the outside buns hay has changed a lot, roll on the 9th for more Timothy hay [emoji38] they still have lots of good quality hay and seem to be eating just as much.. But the outside of their poops are less golden.. A bit darker, then the inside is golden like normal...

My boyfriend googled it, and said it meant they have too much protein from the hay..?

Just wondering people's thoughts on this :)
My buns poop changes colour depending on their hay. All perfectly normal I'd say.

They had darker poop on meadow hay. Their new Ings hay gives them delightful golden poops.

They poop goes darker from hay cookies too.

My buns poop changes colour depending on their hay. All perfectly normal I'd say.

They had darker poop on meadow hay. Their new Ings hay gives them delightful golden poops.

They poop goes darker from hay cookies too.
Ah thanks :) yea I figured it was okay, they're still eating loads of hay so I'm not too worried.. But good to know you've experienced it too :)

I wouldn't worry about the colour of their poop. the main concerns are how they look (small, strung together, or wet poop) and really not the color imho. their color poop has so many different factors, but it usually comes down to their diet. darker poop isn't a bad thing, it just means their diet is richer, which isn't necessarily a bad thing either...

for instance, outside rabbits are likely to have darker poop as they're often eating grass or forage. this is usually richer than hay. in the spring, grass is very very rich, so poops will often go darker then.

indoor rabbits are more likely to have golden poops due to not eating as much forage, mostly pellets, veggies and hay. they're usually on a more hay diet with little grass compared to the outside buns.

but even how "rich" their diet is can vary from the hay you buy, to the cut it is, to the veggies they had, to the forage (fresh or dried) they were given. theres so many different factors around it. one bag of hay might be richer than the other even if it was cut at the same time and dried the same. its too variable.

tbh with you - and I might get shot for this - I don't understand all the hype around golden poop :lol: one facebook group I am in is so obsessive about golden poop and celebrating how wonderful it is, as if darker poop is bad. darker poop isn't bad at all. if it was strung together, small, runny, or bloody inside, then you'd have an issue.

my buns (even though indoor) have mostly always sometimes I get golden poops but its usually on a week when they haven't had much fresh herbs, dried forage or grass (from outside or grown indoors). it can vary on the hay too, as I rotate between ings and timothy & rye. ings gives golden poops and the timothy hay not so much. but its not something I'm concerned about as they're eating well, and their poops are large and healthy :)

Hay definitely changes the colour, but so does what the weather's been like IME, since it affects the nutrient quality in the forage :)

Back