• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay for flooring

loobers25

Warren Veteran
So I mentioned at the vets today that Dennis is getting a clumsy, stiff and doddery on his feet. I said that I had to take the fleeceys away and I don't know what to use. It was said that the bunnies are best on hay flooring.

My question is:
Can any bun recommend a cheap but nice hay for the floor? I want it to be edible quality not for pooping. But affordable for the floor. Timothy hay. Co.uk will be used for main noms not on the floor.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Maybe I should use an air purifier too as that could be quite dusty? Just thinking out loud.

I'd use farm baled hay, but check it first. I drive up to my 'local' farm and have a good feel around. Then buns eat the stalky bits and then leave the soft bits to sit on (sometimes they're sensible!). I've never ahd a ble that's too stalky for sitting in, but I have had ones that are 'too soft to eat' :roll: I know going to one's local farm is not always easy or even possible, but that's my recommendation as I don't know any better. Although e.g. P@H packaged baled hay (the normal one, not the timothy one) isn't too bad and it's nice long strands now: mine think it's the tastiest hay every :lol: so they get it as a treat!

I'd use farm baled hay, but check it first. I drive up to my 'local' farm and have a good feel around. Then buns eat the stalky bits and then leave the soft bits to sit on (sometimes they're sensible!). I've never ahd a ble that's too stalky for sitting in, but I have had ones that are 'too soft to eat' :roll: I know going to one's local farm is not always easy or even possible, but that's my recommendation as I don't know any better. Although e.g. P@H packaged baled hay (the normal one, not the timothy one) isn't too bad and it's nice long strands now: mine think it's the tastiest hay every :lol: so they get it as a treat!

This would be my suggestion too. Good baled hay that’s sold for horses shouldn’t be dusty.

for flooring I would definitely use farm baled hay . You are gonna have some clearing up to do:shock:

Is farming hay more likey to carry mites? Just concerned as they are having 34 pound mite injections each every two weeks

i don't think so.

you could perhaps put the hay in the freezer for a couple of days if worried. (?)

I've never had mites in mine. Had to throw a load because it went mouldy but that was partly my own fault for not poking it properly and gong after two days' heavy rain and then not storing it right.

nap91 makes a good point about hay in shops like The Range and (IME) B&M Bargains: they often sell branded hay very cheap. I got some lovely stuff from B&M and it used to be my go-to emergency hay store!

I wouldn't recommend Pure Pastures for flooring. Sometimes it's good eating quality, but it's quite hard and brittle and I wouldn't use it for walking on.
Nature's Own is really the cheapest soft hay you'll get.

Back