• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Newbie :)

rachel77

New Kit
Hello everyone,

Happy New Year!

I'm Rachel and I've joined this forum as we (my daughter and I) are expecting our bunnies in early February. They are two male mini lops, Willow and Ash, and we can't wait to get them home!

I've tried to post a photo of them (2 weeks old) here - fingers crossed!
48987005_10155885993596516_1631983518307319808_n.jpg

We've done lots of research as we are first time bunny owners and we really want to get it right. No doubt it will be a learning curve once they arrive!

Hello everyone,

Happy New Year!

I'm Rachel and I've joined this forum as we (my daughter and I) are expecting our bunnies in early February. They are two male mini lops, Willow and Ash, and we can't wait to get them home!

I've tried to post a photo of them (2 weeks old) here - fingers crossed!
48987005_10155885993596516_1631983518307319808_n.jpg

We've done lots of research as we are first time bunny owners and we really want to get it right. No doubt it will be a learning curve once they arrive!

Welcome to the Forum Rachel :wave:

Thanks for the warm welcome [emoji4]

5 weeks (at least) seems forever to wait but hoping time will fly once we’re all back to school next week and it will soon be time to pick them up.

In the meantime, we’ve plenty of time to get set up and ready to welcome them home. I’ve been busy adding some insulation round the hutch today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

imo main 3 things are neutering, vaccinations (myxi, rhd1 & rhd2) and insurance.

they look like they may be fluffy buns. please be prepared for washing bottoms to avoid flystrike. if you don't know, it is basically the flies being attracted by the poo & laying eggs. i won't go into further details, but not pleasant & can easily be fatal.
washing bottoms is not easy at first :lol:

Thanks for the advice.

They will be vaccinated before we pick them up but will definitely need neutering!

Any tips for insurance? One of our local vets does a healthcare plan which is different. Any thoughts?

Thanks for the advice.

They will be vaccinated before we pick them up but will definitely need neutering!

Any tips for insurance? One of our local vets does a healthcare plan which is different. Any thoughts?

I would always suggest insurance and a healthcare plan alongside.

the healthcare plan gives you a few perks. that may be 25% off neutering, free or discounted vaccines, discounts in in house blood work & so fourth. but it doesn't actually cover any healthcare. it great to have though and can save you some on vaccines and any other things they may need doing.

insurance covers if one of the buns is sick, and its over your excess (most are £65 or so). so if you have to go to an out of hours vets (expensive), they may be able to make a direct claim to your insurance who will pay out.

some things may not be covered, eg dentals, but a lot of the time they are as long as routine health checks are preformed and you act on being told that your bun needs dental work with x amount of months.

its best to get them insured young as any previous illnesses will be excluded from their insurance. you couldn't leave it then try to pick up insurance when they're sick, as theres a 2 week exclusion wait and any prior illnesses excluded. Luna had sore hocks before I got her insured, so any skin conditions are excluded on her insurance. Orion was insured at 12 weeks old, so he has no exclusions.

theres many different insurers, I'm personally with Pet Plan but they're all much of a muchness. shop around and see where you can get the best deal tbh.

its always helpful to have both IMHO. one covers any illnesses, and another can give discounts on healthcare, vaccines, neutering and any bloodwork. Luna has bloodtests to check her liver function, so we get a very small discount off of her bloods. its not much, but its always handy to have. and considering I had a bill recently of 500 (or more :shock:) for an in day and overnight stay, it really saved my butt :lol:

some people don't have insurance as they don't see it as worth it and some put money into savings accounts. the only thing is is that if bunny was really poorly, that money is going to disappear fast with some bills racking up into the thousands. as would the limit of claims (£2000-2500 usually), but at least you can then eat into savings and not do it to begin with. for me, I don't have a stable income so my savings account goes up very very slowly, so for me it wouldn't be viable as I might not have enough. for me, the peace of mind is what I pay for, even though one of them hasn't been sick (touch wood!) yet.

Thanks for the advice.

Hi :wave:

We have 2 young buns one at nine weeks and one at ten and half weeks.
Have been looking at insurance. I have looked at 3 that were suggested. Petplan, exotics direct and helpucover.
I think the far better one is the pet plan ( just my opinion) the exotics direct only cover vet fees and that’s it where as the pet plan covers vets fees up to £2000 boarding ( if in hospital) up to £250 lost/stolen advertising and reward up to £250 as well as up to 10 sessions of hydrotherapy and up to £750 of alternative medicine as well as dentals ( excluding spurs as this is seen as preventative) and there is also an medical advice help line. Helpucover is slightly cheaper then the pet plan but doesn’t have the medical help line. Hope this helps.

We will also be doing the health care plan. With these you can get discounts on sertain services foods and preventative treatments ie neutering ect on some you get free unlimited nail clipping ( great if this seems scary). It can be difrent from vet to vet so check out the spacific one for yours.

I will be signing up to both as really they run side by side. The total for my two buns will be around £55 a month but gives price of mind.

Back