• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dennis worries

loobers25

Warren Veteran
I've just come home to discover Dennis has eaten a big hole in Tobys spotty green fleece. Definitely ingested as no evidence remaining. I've given him Hay, forage, chicory root and extra wet herbs and he still has a good appetite.

I'm really paniced. Has anybun ever eaten fleece? I'm worried he will get a blockage. It's around double the size of 50p coin

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I've just come home to discover Dennis has eaten a big hole in Tobys spotty green fleece. Definitely ingested as no evidence remaining. I've given him Hay, forage, chicory root and extra wet herbs and he still has a good appetite.

I'm really paniced. Has anybun ever eaten fleece? I'm worried he will get a blockage. It's around double the size of 50p coin

Oh no :(

Clementine has eaten about the same amount of towel before and it passed through her.

I'd clean out all litter trays etc and keep an eye on output, although if you're really concerned, call the vets and see what they suggest? They might say to keep an eye too, or bring him down I'm not sure :(

Hugs, I hope it'll be okay xxx

Oh no :(

Clementine has eaten about the same amount of towel before and it passed through her.

I'd clean out all litter trays etc and keep an eye on output, although if you're really concerned, call the vets and see what they suggest? They might say to keep an eye too, or bring him down I'm not sure :(

Hugs, I hope it'll be okay xxx
Thanks Gracie. Did you find bits of the towel in the poop or does it come out at as normal poop?

I've called vets waiting for call back. I've taken away all fleeceys now.

I've just come home to discover Dennis has eaten a big hole in Tobys spotty green fleece. Definitely injested as no evidence remaining. I've given him Hay, forage, chicory root and extra wet herbs and he still has a good appetite.

I'm really paniced. Has anybun ever eaten fleece? I'm worried he will get a blockage. It's around double the size of 50

Naughty Dennis the menace. You could call the Vet for advice, he/she may suggest that he/she examines him in a couple of hours and maybe gives some prokinetics and fluid therapy as a precaution.

This is what I would do, after speaking with my Vet :I would keep feeding him extra amounts of wet herbs/veg and also lots of hay. Keep a close eye on his output over the next 24-48 hours, any sign of less poo and/or very small poo and I'd want a Vet to examine him even if he is still eating. I'd encourage him to maximise his water and hay intake and to keep as active as possible. If you have a stethoscope I'd have a listen for gut sounds in all 4 quadrants of his abdomen a few times a day. If you are familiar with how his stomach/lower abdomen normally feels and could identify something different I'd also check for anything out of the ordinary there.

Hopefully the high acidity of his stomach will dissolve some of the fibres and it'll pass through and out OK

Thanks Gracie. Did you find bits of the towel in the poop or does it come out at as normal poop?

I've called vets waiting for call back. I've taken away all fleeceys now.

It was in bits in her poop, I broke apart every poop she passed and made the towel hole again with what came out... Basically wanted to make sure It was all out, but grim I know.

I will say it wasn't super obvious, like easily could've missed the bits, I think buns stomachs murder most stuff that goes in them... [emoji38]

It's such a difficult one to call, especially when they seem okay and nothing changes. See what the vets say. Is it normal fleece or polar fleece? :)

It was in bits in her poop, I broke apart every poop she passed and made the towel hole again with what came out... Basically wanted to make sure It was all out, but grim I know.

I will say it wasn't super obvious, like easily could've missed the bits, I think buns stomachs murder most stuff that goes in them... [emoji38]

It's such a difficult one to call, especially when they seem okay and nothing changes. See what the vets say. Is it normal fleece or polar fleece? :)
It's a cheap fleece from asda. I will investigate any poops when they come out. He's so naughty it's unreal. All that hay spread over the floor, twigs, readi grass and he eats that

It's a cheap fleece from asda. I will investigate any poops when they come out. He's so naughty it's unreal. All that hay spread over the floor, twigs, readi grass and he eats that

Typical really isn't it [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

Clementine has also eaten vet bed... [emoji849] With rubber on the base of it...

I'm hoping he'll be okay, and I know you'll monitor him closely etc xx

Naughty Dennis the menace. You could call the Vet for advice, he/she may suggest that he/she examines him in a couple of hours and maybe gives some prokinetics and fluid therapy as a precaution.

This is what I would do, after speaking with my Vet :I would keep feeding him extra amounts of wet herbs/veg and also lots of hay. Keep a close eye on his output over the next 24-48 hours, any sign of less poo and/or very small poo and I'd want a Vet to examine him even if he is still eating. I'd encourage him to maximise his water and hay intake and to keep as active as possible. If you have a stethoscope I'd have a listen for gut sounds in all 4 quadrants of his abdomen a few times a day. If you are familiar with how his stomach/lower abdomen normally feels and could identify something different I'd also check for anything out of the ordinary there.

Hopefully the high acidity of his stomach will dissolve some of the fibres and it'll pass through and out OK
Thanks Jane. I'll go give him some more wet herbs. Unfortunately I do not have a stethoscope but if he doesn't pass any poop or small poops ill take him straight to John's. :(

What would be a prokinetic Jane? I have a tub of Pro-fibre?

Typical really isn't it [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

Clementine has also eaten vet bed... [emoji849] With rubber on the base of it...

I'm hoping he'll be okay, and I know you'll monitor him closely etc xx
Did the vet bed pass ok? Did she need to go to the vets?

Did the vet bed pass ok? Did she need to go to the vets?

I didn't notice til 24 hours later [emoji849][emoji38] she never went to the vets and was fine, this was just after her leg ops, I've come along way since then [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38] but she was fine :)

Thanks Jane. I'll go give him some more wet herbs. Unfortunately I do not have a stethoscope but if he doesn't pass any poop or small poops ill take him straight to John's. :(

I know it's easy for me to say, but try not to get too stressed. A few of my Bunnies have eaten a bit of fleece/towel/blanket and none have had a problem. If I use any rug/mat type thing for Bunnies now I try to make it 100% cotton and not fluffy. They seem much less likely to chew cotton fabric. Cotton sheets seem to work best x

Sending the adorable Dennis vibes that he will be ok after his naughtiness. Perhaps he thought it was some kind of vegetable being green.

Just gave him extra wet Dill and Coriander. He's munching hay now. Poop watch commenced. Time to bring out the old Toby poop plate for assessment of bum nuggets when they arrive

Oh Dennis! Lola has eaten fleece before, she seemed to have no lasting problems but lost the use of the fleece bed! She used to snuggle and groom it, no idea what caused her to suddenly eat it! it ended up on the outside of her pen instead!

My late Frankie was a pickle too, she ate through a plastic bag to get to the hay inside. The vet said the problem with that was because it was clear it wouldn't show up on X ray unless it caused a blockage. But that passed through too, quite quickly I think as the evening after I decided to break open every single bumble :oops: to look but never did see it so it must have gone through beforehand. Then there was Cookie and the Lino incident! Hopefully Dennis has no lasting issues either. It sounds like lots of bunnies do this sort of thing, they'd probably have people believe we don't feed them! x

I'm sorry that Dennis is being such a worry :(

I have experience of Tui eating lots of bits off the edge of the lino in the shed. I didn't notice it straight away (bad Mummy), but there were no bits on the floor and so she must have ingested them all. Tethra would never have touched it. I just kept a very close eye on her after I found out. It has to be said also that Tui eats an incredible amount (of everything) and so I think this would have helped push any bits of lino through.

I think also it's important to imagine that when something like this is eaten, it is eaten in tiny bits, not the whole bit that is missing. This means in my view that it is less likely to cause a problem. It might be for instance that the whole of the missing fleece was actually eaten over a period of a few hours, depending on how long you were out.

I really would try not to worry too much, which of course is very easy for others to say. I'd also do what others have advised and treat him to lots and lots of wet green foods and hay.

What would be a prokinetic Jane? I have a tub of Pro-fibre?

Sorry, missed your Q

By prokinetic I mean 'gut motility meds'. The Vet may feel that prescribing Ranitidine and Metoclopramide may be appropriate. But this is a decision that only the Vet can make. I would not advise administering any without consulting the Vet x

Thanks for the reassurance everybun. Unfortunately John wants to see him tomorrow :( now I have the worry of driving to Andover.

On another note. I provided Dennis with lots of fleeceys on the floor as I can see he's a bit doddery and stiff. The floor is non slip and textured but dennis is clumbsy on it. Maple has no problem at all. So I thought it would help his mobility on the floor. They have nearly a 4x4 meter area so I can't cover the floor with hay. What can I use now??

Back