• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bedroom carpet for bunnies and us

joey&boo

Wise Old Thumper
Its approaching the time when we can get a carpet for our bedroom. Its pretty big so will be a nice additional play area for the buns.

I understand carpet is generally bad for bunnies with the potential to cause ./ exacerbate sore hocks. I'm therefore thinking something more natural might be better such as sisal, jute or coir (not sure I understand the difference)

https://www.nakedflooring.co.uk/products

Any thoughts or experience? I need to win OH round who is still yearning to sink his feet into traditional carpet

Its approaching the time when we can get a carpet for our bedroom. Its pretty big so will be a nice additional play area for the buns.

I understand carpet is generally bad for bunnies with the potential to cause ./ exacerbate sore hocks. I'm therefore thinking something more natural might be better such as sisal, jute or coir (not sure I understand the difference)

https://www.nakedflooring.co.uk/products

Any thoughts or experience? I need to win OH round who is still yearning to sink his feet into traditional carpet

I think the difference between coir, sisal and jute is that, whilst they are all plant-based, they they each come from a different plant. I think the actual feel of them would be pretty similar.

I have experience of one of them, sisal I think it was. We had it down in the office in my ex-marital home. It was rough, very rough :) I don't think I would like it in a bedroom.

I have lots of experience of mild sore hocks with rabbits, but no experience of sore hocks plus carpet. I will be interested to hear others' views, but I would think the sisal/coir/jute carpets would be very abrasive. It may be based out of ignorance of the issues, but I think it would be better for the rabbits' hocks for them to be able to have something with a bit of give in it, where their claws can sink in a bit.

I think the difference between coir, sisal and jute is that, whilst they are all plant-based, they they each come from a different plant. I think the actual feel of them would be pretty similar.

I have experience of one of them, sisal I think it was. We had it down in the office in my ex-marital home. It was rough, very rough :) I don't think I would like it in a bedroom.

I have lots of experience of mild sore hocks with rabbits, but no experience of sore hocks plus carpet. I will be interested to hear others' views, but I would think the sisal/coir/jute carpets would be very abrasive. It may be based out of ignorance of the issues, but I think it would be better for the rabbits' hocks for them to be able to have something with a bit of give in it, where their claws can sink in a bit.

Thats interesting. I had it in my head that the fibres were important so that nylon bad, wool good for instance. Thank You for explaining the differences between them

Thats interesting. I had it in my head that the fibres were important so that nylon bad, wool good for instance. Thank You for explaining the differences between them

Yes, I think that's probably right that the fibres are important. But I think it's more of a case of the actual feel of them, rather than natural being automatically better. I think that for carpets and clothing these days, a lot of synthetic fibres can be made to feel very soft and almost feel like wool.

What do you have down in your lounge atm? Or is it not relevant as you cover it up with throws?

It has to be said also that some rabbits have such a dense covering of fur on their hocks, that it possibly isn't an issue. I can't imagine Tui for instance every having a problem :lol:

Yes, I think that's probably right that the fibres are important. But I think it's more of a case of the actual feel of them, rather than natural being automatically better. I think that for carpets and clothing these days, a lot of synthetic fibres can be made to feel very soft and almost feel like wool.

What do you have down in your lounge atm? Or is it not relevant as you cover it up with throws?

It has to be said also that some rabbits have such a dense covering of fur on their hocks, that it possibly isn't an issue. I can't imagine Tui for instance every having a problem :lol:

We have wood effect lino which was supposed to be temporary whilst we saved for hard wood floors but may become permanent since, as you say, its always covered in fleeces, throws & old rugs (for Mouses benefit)

I'm totally going for a 'school' carpet for my office-sometime bun room. Dense fibres, 'hard-wearing', but then my buns are on concrete and lino most of the time and no sore hocks so I don't have to think as carefully. Here's what I was looking at: https://www.carpetright.co.uk/carpets/nordic-berber-loop-pile-plain-carpet

Thanks Dawn. Yeap - can see this one being nice & solid enough to run on.

No bun here has sore hocks - touch wood - but its nice to plan ahead

Back