• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bladder flushing?

So we’re finally back home. He’s had his blood test and ultrasound!

Blood test results are due back tomorrow. They are keen to start bailey on a diuretic and the amount will depend on his results tomorrow. I asked about the liquid magnesium and they have heard of it before but it’s personally something he wouldn’t recommend. He’s known rabbits to have it, but it also affects the levels of other chemicals and would be worried about bailey having it until we’ve found out what the problem seems to be.

We’ve gone through his diet again and with him having selective science pellets they do contain Alfalfa. So I’ve now brought some oxbow Timothy hay ones to see how he likes them. Otherwise he isn’t having anything with excess calcium. Instead we need to try and increase his water intake with wetting all his coriander and broccoli beforehand.

With the ultrasound, not the best news! :cry:

It showed quite abit of sludge present in his bladder which was a complete shock considering he was only flushed last Wednesday. It also showed his bladder wall was quite thick, which we believe is linked to the infection or perhaps he’s still sore from the flush. It’s quite obvious when he’s weeing he’s not emptying his bladder instead just peeing in small amounts which is why it’s building up!

I asked about his kidneys and the vet agrees we certainly can’t rule it out.. :cry:

As soon as they have the blood test results, they’ll let me know and they’re hoping this should help determine what the problem is.. so no real update today but a worrying night ahead for us..

Thanks again for all your support and we’ll see what the results show tomorrow xxx

Fingers crossed that it's not a problem with his kidneys.

That's so unlucky that he's just had a flush and it's built up again, and the thickening of the bladder wall.

I feel for you Ruth. I can't believe the sludge has built up already.

Hugs for you xx

That's good. Fingers crossed you get some answers as the not knowing what is wrong is so stressful x

Thanks Jane, he’s previously had panacur course when he was young, so we’re really hoping it isn’t.. do you think it might be?

I know, it’s absolutely killing me.. but hopefully we’ll know soon! Xx

Fingers crossed that it's not a problem with his kidneys.

That's so unlucky that he's just had a flush and it's built up again, and the thickening of the bladder wall.

I feel for you Ruth. I can't believe the sludge has built up already.

Hugs for you xx

Thanks so much mightymax.. I was so so gutted and couldn’t help but break down at the vets! :cry:

Every time, we never have any luck and all my poor babies end up suffering!

They called me down to the ultrasound PC and both of us were really shocked seeing the sludge build up already. It’s clear something isn’t working right for him.. :cry:

With the inflamed and thick bladder wall, their thinking bladder disease and it’s going to be a case of helping him recover, but only the bloods will confirm our thoughts tomorrow!

I can’t help but think the worst.. and we even tried him today off the metacam, he was okay this morning but tonight went very quiet and hunched. Now back on it, he’s much more chilled so it’s obvious he’s still in pain which is worrying me even more!

Thanks so much for your support though and hope you’re okay too? xxx

Thanks so much mightymax.. I was so so gutted and couldn’t help but break down at the vets! :cry:

Every time, we never have any luck and all my poor babies end up suffering!

They called me down to the ultrasound PC and both of us were really shocked seeing the sludge build up already. It’s clear something isn’t working right for him.. :cry:

With the inflamed and thick bladder wall, their thinking bladder disease and it’s going to be a case of helping him recover, but only the bloods will confirm our thoughts tomorrow!

I can’t help but think the worst.. and we even tried him today off the metacam, he was okay this morning but tonight went very quiet and hunched. Now back on it, he’s much more chilled so it’s obvious he’s still in pain which is worrying me even more!

Thanks so much for your support though and hope you’re okay too? xxx

Oh Ruth I am not at all surprised this is getting too much. You have been so unlucky with all the problems you've had to face with your babies. You just don't deserve it, and you give everything you have for them.

I will keep my thinking cap on and hopefully your vet can have some suggestions as to how to deal with the bladder issue. I know what I would suggest in humans, and I have to just see if I can research anything in rabbits to match it.

Hugs to keep your pecker up xx

Aw Ruth, sorry I am only able to reply now. I cannot believe it! Sludge already. I'm so so sorry you and Bailey are going through this. This is so unfair and I remember what you went through with beautiful Honey and Harvey too. But do not loose hope. My vet recommended Cystaid Plus capsules which are for cats but they contain glucosamine and 2 other ingredients I can't remember which helps the bladder. This I think is meant to soothe the bladder rather than help the sludge. You sprinkle a small amount on their food. Sadly Oliver would not eat it. But it could be something to maybe ask about. Maybe sub q fluids at home is something to ask about to keep the urine dilute so that it does not sting his bladder wall as much. Giving fluids is a lot easier than depocillian injections, especially if you use a little butterfly needle. I feel so much for you Ruth but you are doing everything you can. Hugs to you and Bailey xx

Adding vibes and fingers are crossed for some positive news tomorrow. I hope the vets can come up with a plan of action to help Bailey

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

I really hope you will get some positive news tomorrow, sending more vibes and hugs xx

Thanks Jane, he’s previously had panacur course when he was young, so we’re really hoping it isn’t.. do you think it might be?

I know, it’s absolutely killing me.. but hopefully we’ll know soon! Xx

I only mentioned EC as a sort of 'trying to cover all bases'. I have some references to Hypercalcaemia in Rabbits, but I wont post them here as until you have all the results back reading a ton of information may not be that helpful as some of it may be irrelevant. Hopefully you will receive a bit more information from the Vet today xx

Hi guys,

Honestly thank you so much for all your support and vibes, they mean so much! :love:

So we’ve got the blood test results back which I’m just waiting for the vet to email me, then I’ll post them on here.

Kidneys values are showing absolutely fine and well in normal range which is super amazing news! However levels of calcium are double the average they should be and seriously high.

Apart from that his white blood cells are normal too.. so we’re continuing with his baytril until he finishes his course and the vet believes we’re finally getting on top of his bladder infection!

EC test results are due back on Monday so we’ll hear back then. Apart from that, we’ll see how this weekend goes and monitor him. He’s got another appointment next week where he’ll have another ultrascan and look at him. We’ll then discuss him possibly having a diuretic to move forward with to try and reduce his calcium levels.

As soon as I’ve got the a copy of the blood test I’ll post them up here, but does anyone have any other suggestions to why he’s got such high levels of calcium?

Thanks so much everyone, and today he has been much better eating everything put in front of him without pain relief.. xxx

Back