• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Not eating hay or drinking, teeth grinding and white discharge in mouth

Jo93

Young Bun
Hello all,

Haven't posted on here for a while, but I could really do with some support and good vibes for Twix as he is not very well at the moment...

We noticed for the past couple of days he hasn't been touching his hay (normally he can't get enough) and also hasn't been drinking. As well as this, his poos have been very tiny and dark.

Took him to the vets today and she looked in his mouth which she says was filled with a white discharge type glup... since he's been home, where he cleans his face, he's rubbing the glup around his face and matting his fur, which makes him look ill and it's really upsetting to see him looking like this :cry:

The vet said it could be some sort of infection where he's eaten something "corrosive" or harmful in the flat...I can't seem to think what it could be? We're very careful to make sure he can't get to anything. She gave him some antibiotics and some metcam for the pain. Shes taken a swab but said it won't be sent off until Wednesday because of New Years, and then it could take up to 10 days to get the results...

Has anyone experienced something like this before? And was it something that was easily treated?
Also, he still isn't eating his hay but just about managing to eat his pellets... is this enough for him until he's better? The vet did give some sort of solution to dilute in water but we've haven't tried it yet..
I'm using a sponge to try and clean around his mouth where the gunk has gone in to his fur but is there anything else I can do to help him??

Thank you in advance

Jo and Twix xx

Hello all,

Haven't posted on here for a while, but I could really do with some support and good vibes for Twix as he is not very well at the moment...

We noticed for the past couple of days he hasn't been touching his hay (normally he can't get enough) and also hasn't been drinking. As well as this, his poos have been very tiny and dark.

Took him to the vets today and she looked in his mouth which she says was filled with a white discharge type glup... since he's been home, where he cleans his face, he's rubbing the glup around his face and matting his fur, which makes him look ill and it's really upsetting to see him looking like this :cry:

The vet said it could be some sort of infection where he's eaten something "corrosive" or harmful in the flat...I can't seem to think what it could be? We're very careful to make sure he can't get to anything. She gave him some antibiotics and some metcam for the pain. Shes taken a swab but said it won't be sent off until Wednesday because of New Years, and then it could take up to 10 days to get the results...

Has anyone experienced something like this before? And was it something that was easily treated?
Also, he still isn't eating his hay but just about managing to eat his pellets... is this enough for him until he's better? The vet did give some sort of solution to dilute in water but we've haven't tried it yet..
I'm using a sponge to try and clean around his mouth where the gunk has gone in to his fur but is there anything else I can do to help him??

Thank you in advance

Jo and Twix xx
This sounds awful :( so sorry Twix is unwell :(

I'm not very experienced and haven't heard of that before but did the vet check his teeth? Is your vet rabbit savvy? Just wondering if your bun has a dental issue, I could be way off here though, really hope you can figure it out xx

Sent from my swarmic device

Back