• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

No poop just mucus and what looks like blood from anus

A more positive update I’m glad he is able to maintaine body temp now. Sending loads of vibes.
You can do it Milo.

Vet called an hour ago still no change or improvement :( he said will update again at 11am. Don't know what next steps are going to be.

I don't know how many days a bunny can live without pooping. Charlie who died from bloat (was put to sleep) at 8 and a half weeks old because he swelled up like a balloon and his stomach was that swollen it was crushing his heart and lungs and other organs. They thought it was a problem with his body and maybe he didn't form properly so that's why his digestive system stopped working. He died within 2-3 days of no poop. Has anyones bunny come back from this? Or do I need to start preparing for the worst

I don't know how many days a bunny can live without pooping. Charlie who died from bloat (was put to sleep) at 8 and a half weeks old because he swelled up like a balloon and his stomach was that swollen it was crushing his heart and lungs and other organs. They thought it was a problem with his body and maybe he didn't form properly so that's why his digestive system stopped working. He died within 2-3 days of no poop. Has anyones bunny come back from this? Or do I need to start preparing for the worst

Sending loads of hugs.

Have they excluded the possibility of a blockage?

Sending loads of hugs.

Have they excluded the possibility of a blockage?

The vet didnt seem to think there was a blockage but I'm going to ask when he calls back see if he recommends x-rays. Would he be able to feel a blockage if the was one there? All the stuff online says it can be several days before poop is seen is this true? It's been 48 hours with no poop

The vet didnt seem to think there was a blockage but I'm going to ask when he calls back see if he recommends x-rays. Would he be able to feel a blockage if the was one there? All the stuff online says it can be several days before poop is seen is this true? It's been 48 hours with no poop
I'm personally surprised an xray hasn't been done when I had a bun going through this they did xrays a couple of times a day to see if there was any blockages and if the gas was moving through the gut and what was going on etc :(

Sent from my swarmic device

Well the blood glucose test i mentioned is a good indicator of what's going on, but not definitive.

As Grace says, an X-ray would also help as it's not always possible to feel a blockage.

I am assuming they are continuing to syringe feed and also that his temperature has returned to normal?

I am so sorry. You must be worried sick :(

I'm personally surprised an xray hasn't been done when I had a bun going through this they did xrays a couple of times a day to see if there was any blockages and if the gas was moving through the gut and what was going on etc :(

Yes this does sound sensible indeed. Did your bunny recover?

I'm toying with the idea of bringing him home to be with his friends if they are just force feeding him because I can do that and at least he will get to spend some time with his friends if this is it :(

Well the blood glucose test i mentioned is a good indicator of what's going on, but not definitive.

As Grace says, an X-ray would also help as it's not always possible to feel a blockage.

I am assuming they are continuing to syringe feed and also that his temperature has returned to normal?

I am so sorry. You must be worried sick :(
Yes blood glucose too sorry forgot to add that, they checked that lots

Yes this does sound sensible indeed. Did your bunny recover?

I'm toying with the idea of bringing him home to be with his friends if they are just force feeding him because I can do that and at least he will get to spend some time with his friends if this is it :(
Almost don't want to answer this, but no she didn't, they did lots of xrays and there was no blockage, but gas and they couldn't figure out what was going on so they decided to operate and see if they could figure it out, but she was weak and died as they put her under.

Saying that though. I think she had something wrong with her, there was weird stuff found inside after she died like her organs hadn't developed correctly she wasn't even a year old. So please don't think this is the same.

I had a bun that didn't eat for a week on his own or poop for 2 days and he recovered and he is fine.

I just think xrays and blood glucose tests could help work out what's going on. I don't think I'd bring him home unless they've figured this out personally :( is he on lots of pain medication?

Vet update: we know from last night he can control his temperature so has been in a regular cage over night. Vet has ruled out blockage and there is no presence of gas build up (thank God) so x-rays are not needed. he has been taking the force feeding happily and has even been eating himself (he loves his food) the vet said ultra sound would be more useful to see the soft tissue of the intestine. His colon is still inflamed which the vet is disappointed at and so is still passing bloody mucus which could be the result of a polip at the end of his colon (does happen in rabbits) and wouldn't be a huge worry. We really need to see some poop and the vet hopes to see some quite soon as he's been eating himself. I have another call with the vet in 3.5hrs to see if he has pooped and if not to decide if he should come home and be with his friends (hoping he will be eating more himself then too)

Forgot to add asked about blood glucose level and the vet basically told me it is rubbish and someone wrote a paper on it convincing people it tells you when you should operate but it has since been disproved. I do trust him and feel he has the welfare of Milo as the most important thing rather than my wallet that's reassuring

Last edited:
Vet update: we know from last night he can control his temperature so has been in a regular cage over night. Vet has ruled out blockage and there is no presence of gas build up (thank God) so x-rays are not needed. he has been taking the force feeding happily and has even been eating himself (he loves his food) the vet said ultra sound would be more useful to see the soft tissue of the intestine. His colon is still inflamed which the vet is disappointed at and so is still passing bloody mucus which could be the result of a polip at the end of his colon (does happen in rabbits) and wouldn't be a huge worry. We really need to see some poop and the vet hopes to see some quite soon as he's been eating himself. I have another call with the vet in 3.5hrs to see if he has pooped and if not to decide if he should come home and be with his friends (hoping he will be eating more himself then too)

Forgot to add asked about blood glucose level and the vet basically told me it is rubbish and someone wrote a paper on it convincing people it tells you when you should operate but it has since been disproved. I do trust him and feel he has the welfare of Milo as the most important thing rather than my wallet that's reassuring
I hope you see poop soon :)

Back