• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

No poop just mucus and what looks like blood from anus

Just over 2 months since we lost Milo and we have now lost Bailey his wife. Devastated is not the word. She was my first bun that I got 7 years ago and she taught me so much about rabbits and how amazing they are as she hopped around my bedroom and into my heart. She was like no other so licky and would run up to you as soon as you walked through the door. She thought she was a puppy. She had been with me since my uni days when she used to sit at my feet stretched out under my desk and relax while I worked, through a house renovation project and even into married life. My heart aches without her. The house is so quiet. She has left behind Oreo the last remaining member of our trio and I feel so sad for him. He's got extremely jumpy around people and has gone back to when he used to lunge (not bite) I think he got a lot of confidence from the others. Oreo has become totally free roam (as the best behaved member of the clan) who likes to sit in the same room as us and watch TV but isn't that fussed for strokes. He is also a particular fan of doing spazzy run round our bedroom at 2:30am - much to my husband's disgust. In time we may discuss getting him a friend but he needs to stop lunging first as that will cause fights. I just can't believe we only have one house bunny. I still forgot and told people I had 3 before remembering we no longer have Milo. And now we don't even have Bailey. I'm feeling very sad at the moment :,(

How very sad :cry:

RIP Bailey, now reunited with Milo xx

Thank you everyone. We have used recent weeks to really bond with Oreo and he is doing so much better. He is less jumpy and will tolerate nose strokes most of the time and ear kisses. He follows me around a lot too which I like but I feel so guilty leaving him to go to work. One thing I have noticed is he seems to be pulling his hair out in a line down his back. Now he's always been an over cleaner but he seems to do it even more now and a few times I've caught him actually pulling hair out. The skin doesn't look red or inflamed just dandruffy where new hair comes through. Now he did the same thing in the month before we lost Milo so I was thinking it's either a stress thing as maybe he knew Milo was sick or could it be like fleas? Wouldn't you see fleas on a white rabbit? And the others didn't seem to have any bald patches. If it was fleas would they all have it like kids with nits?

Last edited:
Thank you everyone. We have used recent weeks to really bond with Oreo and he is doing so much better. He is less jumpy and will tolerate nose strokes most of the time and ear kisses. He follows me around a lot too which I like but I feel so guilty leaving him to go to work. One thing I have noticed is he seems to be pulling his hair out in a line down his back. Now he's always been an over cleaner but he seems to do it even more now and a few times I've caught him actually pulling hair out. The skin doesn't look red or inflamed just dandruffy where new hair comes through. Now he did the same thing in the month before we lost Milo so I was thinking it's either a stress thing as maybe he knew Milo was sick or could it be like fleas? Wouldn't you see fleas on a white rabbit? And the others didn't seem to have anything before they put re

Usually a patch of dandruff indicates fur mites. These often show up when a rabbit's immune system is low for some reason.

The treatment, you probably know, is Ivermectin. Three doses a fortnight apart. But you may want to confirm this with your vet.

I hope you are ok? X

Thank you everyone. We have used recent weeks to really bond with Oreo and he is doing so much better. He is less jumpy and will tolerate nose strokes most of the time and ear kisses. He follows me around a lot too which I like but I feel so guilty leaving him to go to work. One thing I have noticed is he seems to be pulling his hair out in a line down his back. Now he's always been an over cleaner but he seems to do it even more now and a few times I've caught him actually pulling hair out. The skin doesn't look red or inflamed just dandruffy where new hair comes through. Now he did the same thing in the month before we lost Milo so I was thinking it's either a stress thing as maybe he knew Milo was sick or could it be like fleas? Wouldn't you see fleas on a white rabbit? And the others didn't seem to have anything before they put re

I would get your Vet to take a look at Oreo. He may be pulling/licking the fur along his spine due to some degree of discomfort in that area- eg arthritis. One of my Arthritic Rabbits does it.

Or he may have fur mites, these can be relatively easily treated but personally I dont like using mite treatments on a Rabbit unless I am certain they actually have mites. These links contain some information about the most common type of Mites to affect Rabbits- Cheyletiella

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Parasitic/Cheyletiellosis.htm

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Parasitic/furmite/fur_mite.htm

I am so sorry you lost Bailey so soon after losing Milo. I am sending you lots of healing vibes for your broken heart.
A vet may tell you if Oreo's having any medical problem that could be causing discomfort and may even explain his not wanting to be handled.

Mini update for everyone with more positive news. Oreo had a vet check and had mites which he has been treated for and now has a lovely fluffy coat. He also had eye drops for a weepy eye and it's now back to normal. He has been signed off with a full bill of health and is now ready to find a wife!

It is nice to know Oreo is fluffy and heathy. Sending him positive vibes for success in finding a wife on bunny Tinder.

Back