• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

No poop just mucus and what looks like blood from anus

The vet just called Milo has taken a turn for the worst and isn't going to survive the night. He's on oxygen but they want to put him down. What do I with his friends???!

I am desperately sorry to hear this. You could bring Milo home once he has passed away and place him in with his friends. However, sometimes this can cause distress as Milo will smell very different now after all his Veterinary treatment. You could take the other two with you when you say goodbye to Milo, if travelling would not stress them out too much. You know your Rabbits best and really only you are in a position to decide what course of action to take. In the past I have done both. I have also not shown the bereaved Rabbit the body of their deceased partner. There is no universal 'right' thing to do. Every situation needs to be addressed based on the individual Rabbit(s) involved.

Poor Milo :cry:

Poor Milo :cry: I am very sorry :cry:

Regarding the issue of showing Milo to his friends, I think there is no right way. And sometimes when I think I've done things the right way, I've been surprised. Sometimes even when the rabbits have had an exceptionally close bond in life, I have found that there has been almost no attention paid to a rabbit's body after its death. I have also discussed it with my vet, whose view is, that in her experience, there is a wide spectrum of reactions. I think you should do what feels right for you.

Sending lots of hugs.

Our hearts are broken we had so much more love left to give him and not the time. He will always be my little orange monster. We are on our way home with him so his friends can say goodbye before we drive to mums to bury him with his brother

Our hearts are broken we had so much more love left to give him and not the time. He will always be my little orange monster. We are on our way home with him so his friends can say goodbye before we drive to mums to bury him with his brother

So so many hugs :cry:

Run free most beautiful bunny. So much loved :love:

I am so very sorry :cry:

If it were me, I would leave his friends where they are, but make sure if the very worst does happen (and I sincerely hope it doesn't) that you ask the vet to give you Milo back to bring him home so that his friends can see him. In my experience it helps the grieving process if the companions can see the one who's passed and spend a few hours with them.

Hugs for you xx

His friends are with him now. How long do you leave them together? Both have sniffed him quite a bit

His friends are with him now. How long do you leave them together? Both have sniffed him quite a bit

It depends on the rabbits. I prefer to leave longer rather than shorter, as it prevents distress in the long run by the companions wondering where they have gone. Also, grief/bereavement takes time to process.

I would usually leave overnight and you will be able to tell when they have accepted the loss and are ready to move on as they won't be interested in the body any more.

Whatever you feel is right G, it's very hard for you as well x

This is extremely sad and I am so sorry to read this. It is heartbreaking for you and my thoughts are with you. Binkey free with your brother, brave, beautiful Milo. xx

Back