Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: No poop just mucus and what looks like blood from anus

Default No poop just mucus and what looks like blood from anus

Hi everyone. Hoping some has had a similar experience we are going to the vet tomorrow but was looking for some advice/reassure/suggestions for my little man.

I am bunny mum to three bonded babies Bailey (f) 6, Milo (m) 5 and Oreo (m) 3. All are neutered and live the life of luxury with their own bedroom in the house.

Bailey is usually the one I usually post about as she's survived everything from head tilt to mattress eating but today it's Milo.

Yesterday evening Milo was quiet and wouldn't eat his usual food at bed time but after I had fed them some greens a few hours earlier and he ate his I wasn't too concerned (they like to scare me and miss a meal) this morning Milo still wouldn't eat so we went into GI Stasis preparations. This is something I have done many times before for my terrors. I gave him the whole works: metacam, infacol, fibre Plex and critical care. He seemed to perk up after the first lot of drugs and food so I carried on with critical care through out the day.

I cleaned them out as soon as I noticed Milo wasn't eating to keep track of poop and I did notice some weird jelly like mucus in the house (still something I've seen before with GI Stasis)

It's now evening and I've just given Milo more food. Still no poo and then I noticed what looked to be mucus with blood in coming from his anus. Not a huge amount but any can't be a good thing.

I've tried to post pics below so hope you can see then. Has anyone had anything like this before? It's nothing I've ever seen

Thanks in advance x

https://ibb.co/3fy7Sfn
    https://ibb.co/ysczGDf

Quote Originally Posted by bunny mummy 1 View Post
    Hi everyone. Hoping some has had a similar experience we are going to the vet tomorrow but was looking for some advice/reassure/suggestions for my little man.

I am bunny mum to three bonded babies Bailey (f) 6, Milo (m) 5 and Oreo (m) 3. All are neutered and live the life of luxury with their own bedroom in the house.

Bailey is usually the one I usually post about as she's survived everything from head tilt to mattress eating but today it's Milo.

Yesterday evening Milo was quiet and wouldn't eat his usual food at bed time but after I had fed them some greens a few hours earlier and he ate his I wasn't too concerned (they like to scare me and miss a meal) this morning Milo still wouldn't eat so we went into GI Stasis preparations. This is something I have done many times before for my terrors. I gave him the whole works: metacam, infacol, fibre Plex and critical care. He seemed to perk up after the first lot of drugs and food so I carried on with critical care through out the day.

I cleaned them out as soon as I noticed Milo wasn't eating to keep track of poop and I did notice some weird jelly like mucus in the house (still something I've seen before with GI Stasis)

It's now evening and I've just given Milo more food. Still no poo and then I noticed what looked to be mucus with blood in coming from his anus. Not a huge amount but any can't be a good thing.

I've tried to post pics below so hope you can see then. Has anyone had anything like this before? It's nothing I've ever seen

Thanks in advance x

Can you get him to a vet asap? I'd be very concerned tbh.

How long with no signs of poop?

Also I'd be wary to have syringe fed without first a vet ruling out a blockage

Sorry I'm not very experienced but I'd be down at the emergency vets rn asking for xrays keep us updated and I hope someone else can maybe advise you better/more xx

Sent via carrier pigeon

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by Graciee View Post

Sorry I'm not very experienced but I'd be down at the emergency vets rn asking for xrays keep us updated and I hope someone else can maybe advise you better/more xx

Sent via carrier pigeon
    I agree with you on everything.

Banned

Thanks in advance x

Sorry I've only just seen your post.

I should contact the OOH vet immediately and tell them what you've posted here and ask for Milo to be seen.

Syringe feeding without ascertaining whether there's a blockage or not can be very dangerous.

Ask for the vet to take his temperature, and also do a blood glucose test. You probably know all about it, but just in case ...

Blood glucose is measured in mmol/ml (millimoles/litre)

Normal: 4-8 mmol/ml

2-4 mmol/ltr – needs food – rabbit is experiencing gut stasis
    If less that 2 mmol/ltr, call vet

8-15 mmol/ltr Rabbit is stressed, but can stay at home
    More than 15mmol/ltr, less than 20 – Call vet, start to worry…
    More than 20 mmol/ltr, needs surgery.

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00d...ionRabbits.htm

Syringing water and Infacol will be OK, and in fact he will need to be well-hydrated, which the vet can do much better than you doing it orally (it's not going to be well absorbed into the gut contents)

Many apologies if I'm telling you something you already know. I personally feel you have to act now, and fast.

Good luck xx

Sent via carrier pigeon
    Hi thanks for replying.
    They live in a fully rabbit proofed room so can't have a blockage.
    I was thinking about things like stomach ulcers??
    The out of hours vets by us are truly terrible so I really wanted to see our rabbit savvy vet but without poop for over 12 hours I am worried.

Hi thanks for replying.
    The out of hours vets by us are truly terrible so I really wanted to see our rabbit savvy vet but without poop for over 12 hours I am worried.
    Honestly I'd go anyway, I think at this point he needs to be seen ASAP, even if you still go to your savvy vet in the morning too.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but can't their fur potentially cause a blockage? Just because he hasn't got access to anything unsafe doesn't mean it's impossible imo, and his symptoms are very worrying

That amount of time without poop, when you've given him what you said in your first post, and been syringing food, worries me a lot, sending you and him lots of vibes xx

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Banned

Hi thanks for replying.

The problem is, stasis itself can lead to dehydration of the gut contents.
    This dehydration can contribute to the creation of a blockage, with hair and normal stomach contents.
    It will make no difference as to whether they are in a rabbit proofed room or not.

We can only advise you to take your rabbit to a vet asap for further exam.
    No-one is saying it is a blockage, but it might be best to rule it out before considering other options, as it can finish off a rabbit pretty quickly.

Banned

Honestly I'd go anyway, I think at this point he needs to be seen ASAP, even if you still go to your savvy vet in the morning too.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but can't their fur potentially cause a blockage? Just because he hasn't got access to anything unsafe doesn't mean it's impossible imo, and his symptoms are very worrying

That amount of time without poop, when you've given him what you said in your first post, and been syringing food, worries me a lot, sending you and him lots of vibes xx

Sorry Grace, I just saw what you wrote, and I think I've probably said the same thing.
    Yes, it can all combine with the dehydration caused by the stasis itself.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    Sorry Grace, I just saw what you wrote, and I think I've probably said the same thing.
    Yes, it can all combine with the dehydration caused by the stasis itself.
    Yea you worded it much better, I thought that was the case but wasn't completely sure how it worked, thanks for explaining

Really hope you figure out what's going on with the lil guy xx

How's Milo this morning?