• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

No poop just mucus and what looks like blood from anus

bunny mummy 1

Warren Scout
Hi everyone. Hoping some has had a similar experience we are going to the vet tomorrow but was looking for some advice/reassure/suggestions for my little man.

I am bunny mum to three bonded babies Bailey (f) 6, Milo (m) 5 and Oreo (m) 3. All are neutered and live the life of luxury with their own bedroom in the house.

Bailey is usually the one I usually post about as she's survived everything from head tilt to mattress eating but today it's Milo.

Yesterday evening Milo was quiet and wouldn't eat his usual food at bed time but after I had fed them some greens a few hours earlier and he ate his I wasn't too concerned (they like to scare me and miss a meal) this morning Milo still wouldn't eat so we went into GI Stasis preparations. This is something I have done many times before for my terrors. I gave him the whole works: metacam, infacol, fibre Plex and critical care. He seemed to perk up after the first lot of drugs and food so I carried on with critical care through out the day.

I cleaned them out as soon as I noticed Milo wasn't eating to keep track of poop and I did notice some weird jelly like mucus in the house (still something I've seen before with GI Stasis)

It's now evening and I've just given Milo more food. Still no poo and then I noticed what looked to be mucus with blood in coming from his anus. Not a huge amount but any can't be a good thing.

I've tried to post pics below so hope you can see then. Has anyone had anything like this before? It's nothing I've ever seen

Thanks in advance x

https://ibb.co/3fy7Sfn
https://ibb.co/ysczGDf

Hi everyone. Hoping some has had a similar experience we are going to the vet tomorrow but was looking for some advice/reassure/suggestions for my little man.

I am bunny mum to three bonded babies Bailey (f) 6, Milo (m) 5 and Oreo (m) 3. All are neutered and live the life of luxury with their own bedroom in the house.

Bailey is usually the one I usually post about as she's survived everything from head tilt to mattress eating but today it's Milo.

Yesterday evening Milo was quiet and wouldn't eat his usual food at bed time but after I had fed them some greens a few hours earlier and he ate his I wasn't too concerned (they like to scare me and miss a meal) this morning Milo still wouldn't eat so we went into GI Stasis preparations. This is something I have done many times before for my terrors. I gave him the whole works: metacam, infacol, fibre Plex and critical care. He seemed to perk up after the first lot of drugs and food so I carried on with critical care through out the day.

I cleaned them out as soon as I noticed Milo wasn't eating to keep track of poop and I did notice some weird jelly like mucus in the house (still something I've seen before with GI Stasis)

It's now evening and I've just given Milo more food. Still no poo and then I noticed what looked to be mucus with blood in coming from his anus. Not a huge amount but any can't be a good thing.

I've tried to post pics below so hope you can see then. Has anyone had anything like this before? It's nothing I've ever seen

Thanks in advance x

Can you get him to a vet asap? I'd be very concerned tbh.

How long with no signs of poop?

Also I'd be wary to have syringe fed without first a vet ruling out a blockage :(

Sorry I'm not very experienced but I'd be down at the emergency vets rn asking for xrays :( keep us updated and I hope someone else can maybe advise you better/more xx

Sent via carrier pigeon

Also I'd be wary to have syringe fed without first a vet ruling out a blockage :(

Sorry I'm not very experienced but I'd be down at the emergency vets rn asking for xrays :( keep us updated and I hope someone else can maybe advise you better/more xx

Sent via carrier pigeon

I agree with you on everything.

Thanks in advance x

Sorry I've only just seen your post.

I should contact the OOH vet immediately and tell them what you've posted here and ask for Milo to be seen.

Syringe feeding without ascertaining whether there's a blockage or not can be very dangerous.

Ask for the vet to take his temperature, and also do a blood glucose test. You probably know all about it, but just in case ...

Blood glucose is measured in mmol/ml (millimoles/litre)

Normal: 4-8 mmol/ml

2-4 mmol/ltr – needs food – rabbit is experiencing gut stasis
If less that 2 mmol/ltr, call vet

8-15 mmol/ltr Rabbit is stressed, but can stay at home
More than 15mmol/ltr, less than 20 – Call vet, start to worry…
More than 20 mmol/ltr, needs surgery.

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/PhysicalTraumatic/AcuteGIT_ObstructionRabbits.htm

Syringing water and Infacol will be OK, and in fact he will need to be well-hydrated, which the vet can do much better than you doing it orally (it's not going to be well absorbed into the gut contents)

Many apologies if I'm telling you something you already know. I personally feel you have to act now, and fast.

Good luck xx

Sent via carrier pigeon

Hi thanks for replying.
They live in a fully rabbit proofed room so can't have a blockage.
I was thinking about things like stomach ulcers??
The out of hours vets by us are truly terrible so I really wanted to see our rabbit savvy vet but without poop for over 12 hours I am worried.

Hi thanks for replying.
The out of hours vets by us are truly terrible so I really wanted to see our rabbit savvy vet but without poop for over 12 hours I am worried.
Honestly I'd go anyway, I think at this point he needs to be seen ASAP, even if you still go to your savvy vet in the morning too.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but can't their fur potentially cause a blockage? Just because he hasn't got access to anything unsafe doesn't mean it's impossible imo, and his symptoms are very worrying :(

That amount of time without poop, when you've given him what you said in your first post, and been syringing food, worries me a lot, sending you and him lots of vibes xx

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Hi thanks for replying.

The problem is, stasis itself can lead to dehydration of the gut contents.
This dehydration can contribute to the creation of a blockage, with hair and normal stomach contents.
It will make no difference as to whether they are in a rabbit proofed room or not.

We can only advise you to take your rabbit to a vet asap for further exam.
No-one is saying it is a blockage, but it might be best to rule it out before considering other options, as it can finish off a rabbit pretty quickly.

Honestly I'd go anyway, I think at this point he needs to be seen ASAP, even if you still go to your savvy vet in the morning too.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but can't their fur potentially cause a blockage? Just because he hasn't got access to anything unsafe doesn't mean it's impossible imo, and his symptoms are very worrying :(

That amount of time without poop, when you've given him what you said in your first post, and been syringing food, worries me a lot, sending you and him lots of vibes xx

Sorry Grace, I just saw what you wrote, and I think I've probably said the same thing.
Yes, it can all combine with the dehydration caused by the stasis itself.

Sorry Grace, I just saw what you wrote, and I think I've probably said the same thing.
Yes, it can all combine with the dehydration caused by the stasis itself.
Yea you worded it much better, I thought that was the case but wasn't completely sure how it worked, thanks for explaining :)

Really hope you figure out what's going on with the lil guy :( xx

How's Milo this morning?

Still the same. Was given meds last night at emergency vet to get guts moving but still no poop. Sat in the waiting room of our regular vet with the worst anxiety possible. I can usually get them pooping on my own so I feel like I've failed him. Will let you know what these guys say shortly

Still the same. Was given meds last night at emergency vet to get guts moving but still no poop. Sat in the waiting room of our regular vet with the worst anxiety possible. I can usually get them pooping on my own so I feel like I've failed him. Will let you know what these guys say shortly
I'm sorry :( yes keep us updated xx

The problem is, stasis itself can lead to dehydration of the gut contents.
This dehydration can contribute to the creation of a blockage, with hair and normal stomach contents.
It will make no difference as to whether they are in a rabbit proofed room or not.

We can only advise you to take your rabbit to a vet asap for further exam.
No-one is saying it is a blockage, but it might be best to rule it out before considering other options, as it can finish off a rabbit pretty quickly.

Last night's vet didn't seem to think there was a blockage but they aren't the greatest. Sat in waiting room of regular rabbit vet please keep him in your thoughts I'm trying to hold it together

Last night's vet didn't seem to think there was a blockage but they aren't the greatest. Sat in waiting room of regular rabbit vet please keep him in your thoughts I'm trying to hold it together

Thanks for updating G.

You and Milo are in my thoughts.

Look back at my previous post concerning his temperature and the blood glucose test.
A vet should do these to try and get ahold on what's going on for him.

Hugs x

Sending loads of vibes for Milo. I really hope that your regular vet will be able to help him. Thinking of you and sending lots of hugs.

Update: the vet has kept our baby in. Temperature wise he was 37 degrees and the vet said it should be 38 degrees so they wanted to put him in an incubator to warm him up and then make sure he can maintain his body temperature. Gut wise he said the Bloody mucus was from lower abdomen as it's inflamed but when he felt the rest of his guts it all felt distended so he needs some good bacteria to soothe his gut and get him pooping. The vet did seem more concerned about his temperature than anything. It's not something I've experienced before. What happens with low temperature?

Update: the vet has kept our baby in. Temperature wise he was 37 degrees and the vet said it should be 38 degrees so they wanted to put him in an incubator to warm him up and then make sure he can maintain his body temperature. Gut wise he said the Bloody mucus was from lower abdomen as it's inflamed but when he felt the rest of his guts it all felt distended so he needs some good bacteria to soothe his gut and get him pooping. The vet did seem more concerned about his temperature than anything. It's not something I've experienced before. What happens with low temperature?

In my experience a low temperature can be a sign of a rabbit going into shock. This can happen when they have a blockage, but it can also mean other things. I am glad he's being looked after - he's in the right place and they will be able to nurture him and give him everything he needs.

Sending vibes for Milo and hugs for you xx

There's some more info here:

https://rabbit.org/gastrointestinal-stasis-the-silent-killer-2/

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv/basic

http://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/pdfs/ROWinter10p7.pdf

This was why I stressed that the vet should take his temperature. I am so glad you took him in xx

Last edited:
Back