• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can anyone recommend a hutch?

zarathustra

Warren Scout
I'm starting to think about hutches and stuff for when we get our next happy hoppers, which hopefully will be a couple of months.

Previously we had a Bluebell hideaway hutch from Pets At Home, which wasn't too bad, but I would like to get something a bit longer, we found that it got a bit cluttered with a litter tray whilst trying to also keep the tunnel to their run clear.

I had thought about a shed/play house but we have a kid on the way, and we can't afford to loose too much space in the garden, and a shed/playhouse would be a bit of a funny shape to fit in.

The gold standard would be something from Manor Pet Housing, but they are quite steep price wise.

I've seen a few 6ft 2 storey hutches, but I don't know which manufacturers are good, and which should be avoided etc.

I’m glad you are feeling ready to prepare for new rabbits:love: have you looked in the housing sticky, there’s some good recommendations there, although I don’t know if some are still in business.

A joiner/shed builder might make you one to your own specs if you ask :thumb:

I'm starting to think about hutches and stuff for when we get our next happy hoppers, which hopefully will be a couple of months.

Previously we had a Bluebell hideaway hutch from Pets At Home, which wasn't too bad, but I would like to get something a bit longer, we found that it got a bit cluttered with a litter tray whilst trying to also keep the tunnel to their run clear.

I had thought about a shed/play house but we have a kid on the way, and we can't afford to loose too much space in the garden, and a shed/playhouse would be a bit of a funny shape to fit in.

The gold standard would be something from Manor Pet Housing, but they are quite steep price wise.

I've seen a few 6ft 2 storey hutches, but I don't know which manufacturers are good, and which should be avoided etc.

Hi, sorry for the late reply, but i have been thinking about this.
most of the hutches i have looked at don't seem very good, but something like this Chartwell looks ok when combined with the run

https://homeandroost.co.uk/product/hutch-6ft-chartwell-double/

... just the price with the run seems quite a lot!
but..... i was thinking i could make the same for less than 1/2 that price, but there is the design, the time, the hassle etc to consider, so on reflection i don't think the price is out of order.

if you don't need a run (I.E. they will roam free in the garden in the day), then imo a small shed would be better. is a 6'x4' shed really too large? the footprint would be similar to the hutch
(hutch is 1760 x 650mm, shed would be 1800 x 1200mm)

Both Ryedale and Kernow pet housing are very good.

Both Ryedale and Kernow pet housing are very good.
I bought a kernow hutch after seeing some he built for a rescue near where I used to live. It is fab. He built it to a particular size to fit in under the stairs in our old house (same design just wanted it deeper to make most of the space). Then when we moved we took it apart and had it flat packed for months before we put it back together and it is still fine. It is now in a summer house in the garden.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Back